• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

TC 16610 vs. Modded Noobmariner

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
So I bit the bullet and bagged myself a TC Sub just to see what all the fuss was about. I got mine from a nice chap on RWG and it came with the rehaut engraving shaved, v3 bracelet and a gen insert fitted. The case, bracelet and insert had a few minor scratches on show, but nothing too distracting and IMO perfectly in keeping with a 5-6 year old gen.

Photo04-10-2012075023.jpg

I thought it might be a good time to show a comparison between this and my trusty modded Noob. I got a nice one from Trevor a few months ago; swapped out the pearl for a WM and added a c-Sub Glidelock bracelet to boot.

Photo04-10-2012075100.jpg

Photo04-10-2012075112.jpg

So is the TC worth 400 bux more than the Noob? Let’s have a look…

Photo04-10-2012075146.jpg

Photo04-10-2012075251.jpg

The first thing I noticed about the TC is that it wears slightly bigger than the Noob (just a fraction). The rehaut is ever-so-slightly steeper and deeper than the Noob as well. I have no idea if this is more gen like as I have never handled a 16610 before!

Photo04-10-2012075515.jpg

Photo04-10-2012075542.jpg

The dial text on the TC is crisp and clear, although the Noob ain’t bad for the money. One key difference is, of course, the date wheel font. The TC’s is far bolder and raised (which is presumably more gen-like).

Photo04-10-2012075417.jpg

Photo04-10-2012075457.jpg

Funnily enough the TC wears slightly lighter than the Noob mainly because of the hollow mid-links of the bracelet. The TC v3 strap has been showered with rave reviews on RWI so I’m guessing it is very gen-like. It’s certainly very comfortable to wear, but then so is the c-Sub Noob bracelet (with the added benefit of adjustability).

Photo04-10-2012075208.jpg

Photo04-10-2012075316.jpg

And so to the crown guards. It amazes me how much of a big deal we make of the CGs. I’ve never been able to tell the difference and quite frankly they don’t bother me too much at all. The one thing I would say is that the crown of the TC itself definitely looks more like gen photos that I’ve seen – slightly thinner.

One final thing - that all-important lume. Here the TC kicks ass and the Noob is let down by an average-at-best lume.

Photo04-10-2012075651.jpg

So is the TC worth the extra cost? Would it stand up to a gen side-by-side? I can honestly say that I am not qualified to answer this, but given that I can only justify keeping one 16610 Sub guess which one I’ll be keeping…?

tats

Renowned Member
8/5/12
Great thread (hopefully mine will be up as soon as my TC is back from the spa).

Let me guess - noob?

madcatlancelot

I'm Pretty Popular
21/12/08
Very nice comparison thread and congrats with the TC sub.

My guess is that you're keeping the TC sub, it's just too nice to let it go. :)

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
Thanks guys. I think it all boils down to whether you consider the classic 16610 a 'keeper' or not. A modded Noob represents superb value for money and is hard to call out on the wrist, but anyone who's handled a gen could probably spot the difference once the watch is off the wrist.

I've come round to the idea of having one superb 'Super rep' rather than two or three good ones. So keep checking the sales section as my Noob Sub and modded Superlume SD will soon be going up for sale! It's the TC Sub all the way from here on in...

Photo04-10-2012082050.jpg

PS - Does anyone know of a gen vs TC Sub side-by-side comparison...?

mt666tm

Renowned Member
2/2/10
That TC Sub with gen bezel insert is the hands-down WINNER!!!

Lots of things to pick out on the noob, like date font and mag, bezel font, pearl, lume, etc... The TC is damn near perfect, and the shaved bezel rehaut is so much nicer to look at.

Just get a Sub-C glidelock clasp for the TC and you will have the perfect setup... don't replace the V3 bracelet, just swap out the clasp.

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
There are very clear differences. But frankly, I think that the 99% rule applies once again. Sure, most of us nuts in here see the flaws. But I can only think of one of my friends that might be able to pick them out.

Ephry73

I'm Pretty Popular
10/6/11
PJ, the comparison has been done between gen and TC. Look at his blog. I think the TC for the money is very good. Some will argue that. You will always have Ford and Chevy guys. Period

I have a TC 16610 dial and hands on a gen 2836-2 and a ST case with gen crimped 703 crown and Clark's crystal , gen insert and pearl etc. the TC dial's line matches the pearl on the gen insert to a T! The dual just pops out at you. Many gen owners don't even know when they see my watch(I work at a hospital and we see a lot of great watches roll by including tree retired smoke divers who were given 16610 as retirement gifts) and it is that good. Great watch you got there and wears well with everything. Wear it well

I say we generate a sapphire subs forum for the neo-vintage 16800,168000, 14060, 5513 sapphire and 16610 philes we have around these cyber parks

mt666tm

Renowned Member
2/2/10

Here you go. I've tried to rep your pictures with my gen 16610. Put them in your original post and you have your comparison. I only wish I could take better pics...

sub1.jpg

sub2.jpg

sub3.jpg

sub4.jpg

sub5.jpg

sub6.jpg

sub7.jpg

PS: this is my daily wear Z-series so it's not a box queen. Its been through a lot...

ajs914

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/07
What's are "tree retired smoke divers"?

I assume the tree was a typo for three but still, what are smoke divers?

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
Here you go. I've tried to rep your pictures with my gen 16610. Put them in your original post and you have your comparison. I only wish I could take better pics...

sub1.jpg

sub2.jpg

sub3.jpg

sub4.jpg

sub5.jpg

sub6.jpg

sub7.jpg

PS: this is my daily wear Z-series so it's not a box queen. Its been through a lot...

Very nice - just goes to show the TC Sub is scarily close to gen. Is that the 116610 clasp you've put it on there? I may try that to add a bit more weight to the bracelet.

mt666tm

Renowned Member
2/2/10
Yes, the new clasp just feels so much better. My clasp is rep though, I wanted to try it out to see if I should buy the gen clasp, but the rep is so good that I just kept it.

I want to try the clasp from a DSSD. its probably overkill though

acoustix

Known Member
7/3/12
Thanks guys. I think it all boils down to whether you consider the classic 16610 a 'keeper' or not. A modded Noob represents superb value for money and is hard to call out on the wrist, but anyone who's handled a gen could probably spot the difference once the watch is off the wrist.

I've come round to the idea of having one superb 'Super rep' rather than two or three good ones. So keep checking the sales section as my Noob Sub and modded Superlume SD will soon be going up for sale! It's the TC Sub all the way from here on in...

Photo04-10-2012082050.jpg

Dude all your watches look the same from 3 feet! :D

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
Dude all your watches look the same from 3 feet! :D

Variety is not my collection's strong point! Good for confusing the Mrs though...

Q. Is that another new watch?!
A. No darling I've had this one ages

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
Yes, the new clasp just feels so much better. My clasp is rep though, I wanted to try it out to see if I should buy the gen clasp, but the rep is so good that I just kept it.

I want to try the clasp from a DSSD. its probably overkill though

I've got a spare DSSD clasp you can have if you want it. Only problem is it needs putting back together - I removed the mini spring bar and it's a pain to put back in (I don't have the patience!)...

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
...Oh and I've read that the gen clasps are £1000 or more. WTF?!

gw4k

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
28/8/10
I've decided I like my RSH modded 16610 over forking another 400 for a TC.

Yes I know it's more accurate, but for the money the noob is a great rep.

It's one of 4 reps I've kept and sold the rest.

sardonix

I'm Pretty Popular
16/12/10
No doubt that TC is the best to get these days. But i was wondering if i look at the noob factory pics if they used different parts through the years. I see different boldness of dial text, boldness of date, bezel teeth differences.
I have a 3 year old unmodded out of the box noob factory sub, put some pics of it here so you can see differences with the one of pjsayer.

It also very good possible i see spooks :wyliehelp:

qywMH.jpg

5QecQ.jpg

EFEME.jpg