• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Homemade 116400GV Milgauss edge crystal mod

Watch008

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/5/13
This looks awesome! Anyone done this recently? Any new milgauss mods out there?

adgu

11/11/11
I will try with deka... soon.. try to get an video and share here..

djres

Horology Curious
13/6/13
Has anyone found a way for the paint to adhere to the crystal without flaking?

Tribal Guy

22/8/10
The crystal on the rep is really the major thing for most people that gives this away..... I am very tempted to just put a clear crystal on, but not sure where to even get one, or if I can replace it, or need to take to a shop..... Otherwise, this is a great rep in my opinion.

adgu

11/11/11
Here is my experience.. sorry, I cannot get video due to busy work traffic...

All I want to say is that is so easy and I was afraid of making mistake and mess up everything but I understand that it is all about to know the paint features..

First I don't want to paint the bezel because I thought this paint is too sticky and there will be some bad paint tinges on it. But after my first try on different glass, then I realised that it is such a paint that dry with these steps;

first 15 sec : it is still liquid
30 sec : such a elastical
1-2 min : a little bit dry but easily removed by toothpick

I use decoart paint glass pen. Its nib is so sensitive. I first covered the bezel with tape and start painting the glass edges. It was very hard to move the pen because the nib is just stuck at tape intersection points. and its structure has deformed. But I paint anyway. then I pull all tapes out after paint but the paint at the glass edge came with tape strips.

Then I clear the watch again and I just paint the edges covering nowhere. after 1 min. I removed the paints on the bezel by toothpick (so easy). it is important to make one single movement from begining to end.. if you interrupt painting, then you will probably have a little bit darker point there. slow and continiously paint at once. here is the result..

3fv9.jpg

4n54.jpg

v4i1.jpg

4hgb.jpg

jeev

Horology Curious
24/7/13
Nice job, I will try the same. Please let us know whether the paint stays on the glass without flaking

pilworx

alien member
8/2/09
seems to look good but some better macro shots of the crystal edge and a report in a few weeks as to whether the paint peels or not would be great.

thanks for this.

adgu

11/11/11
Nice job, I will try the same. Please let us know whether the paint stays on the glass without flaking

Yes, the paint stays on the glass without flaking... It is very important to paint at once... the paint was totally stuck after four hours. now I am using the watch daily..

adgu

11/11/11
seems to look good but some better macro shots of the crystal edge and a report in a few weeks as to whether the paint peels or not would be great.

thanks for this.

Yes, I took the below pictures but they are taken with iPhone 5 and I cannot get the exact macro shots, sorry. But I can say the crystal edges is not shiny enough as it is before paint.

All my comments about two days experience is that everyone started to realize its attraction... I am getting more compliment for the watch than before..

8ph9.jpg

rjtl.jpg

I will check after a few weeks, too.

theskull

Renowned Member
6/8/13
nicely done, if the makers could find a way to do this out of the box and permanent of course i would defenitly get one...

adgu

11/11/11
definetely true... the makers must do this in such a way..

adgu

11/11/11
Here is today's picture of my milgauss. I can say that, the paint has just lost its shine a little bit but I confess that it looks like more real and gen...

4l0p.jpg

xctbl55

8/12/15
Reading this interesting thread, I wonder if another solution wouldn't be to remove the green AR on the GV rep which is a big give away (too green under certain lighting), with just the green sides remaining? This can be done with Cape Cod apparently?

xctbl55

8/12/15
Thanks, so it's a lot of work apparently (80 mins with a dremel to remove the a/r!)