• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tutorial: How to fix Date changing issue on VS3135

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
It's time again for a little tutorial.
With the help of KJ2020 I was able to solve a problem with the VS3135 - Shoutout to the master of Rolex movements :)

To the initial situation:
I ordered a movement for a build and noticed the following when testing it:

Position 0: Winding works and is VS like, very smooth.
Position 1: Quick shift works, but not 100% crisp all at once
Position 2: Date switches half at 20:00 and then the second half at 0:00.

After KJ2020 took his time and I got a remote diagnosis, I started right away.

First, I removed the date wheel. To do this on the 3135, you have to turn this screw 90 degrees, and then you can just pull the wheel out.

Then I loosened the screw from the part that is responsible for the date switching - the visible disc with the nipple that is attached to the date wheel.

Now comes the trick: It is important that the two parts that sit on top of each other engage. This means that the nipple must go into the hole of the upper disk and the disk must be absolutely horizontal. Then the screw must be tightened so that it has no play.

When it is reassembled it should look like this:

The thin arm of the spring can also be stretched a little outward, so the spring gets more tension and the date switching is more crisp.

Then reassemble everything and the date switched as it should.

I hope I could impart a little knowledge:)

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

bavarex

Omega collector/watchmaking
3/4/21
EU / CAN
Isn't there a little ruby wheel on the datedisc spring yoke, which rolls along the curved disc ?
26282dce7acde66d19ab3fe87ba73637.jpg

bavarex

3/4/21
EU / CAN
Yeah and the higher friction is the cause, i think... in addition its also lubricated with oil... chinese clones are often bare dry...
2fea65717e8136dc3b2c7d696acb0fb7.jpg

bavarex

3/4/21
EU / CAN
Where did you order one? Never have found a certified VS3135 online to buy...

bavarex

3/4/21
EU / CAN
Watch out, when adding the the little jewel to the joke, as the joke is under tension. Best is to remove the top of the datewheel driving wheel, move the yoke under tension a bit back with a tweezer with one hand. Keep the yoke still back under tension and add the jewel ( best is to also lubricate it with D5 or HP1300 oil). Then, with still holding it back under tension with one hand's tweezer, put the top of the datewheel driving wheel back in position and screw it down. Then carefully put back the yoke with the jewel under the top of the date driving wheel. This is the best way because there is a lot of tension on the yoke and the little jewel can easily ping off into orbit, when releasing the tension back. It even can ping off, when the top of the datewheel driving wheel is not fixed well ( maybe you can find the jewel deep in the movement). I recommend to look at some YouTube videos how to service a 3135 movement to see how its done right. Good luck and steady hand ;)

Reactions: derjenigewelcher

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
I assemble the cam and date finger wheels and use a pegwood stick in my left hand to pull open the cam yoke and then place the jewel onto its already lubricated post, then gently ease it closed. Open it at its very end and you have better control than pushing it open farther down. It’s really quite cooperative when you done it a few times.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Calendar parts are lubed with grease not oil per the service manual. Usually Moebius 9504, some use MR4. Molykote DX can be used as a much cheaper alternative, Rolex used to use it but it was found to contaminate cleaning fluids. That may not be a factor for hobbyists using smaller containers of inexpensive cleaner like naphtha.

z2JSzt.jpg

zA6CZY.jpg

Last edited:

bavarex

3/4/21
EU / CAN
Yeah i have that, the blue colored one :). I used DX in the past, but had the feeling it spreads around, when it gets warm inside the movement.

Reactions: KJ2020