• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Status of the Datejust 36mm reviews and offerings

Feefo

Your cleverness is mistaken for your cleverness
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
So... Any of you has any idea if factories which are rocking the DJ41 landscape with almost super-rep level will enter the DJ36 market? In the end, this appears to be the tendency where also the Gen market is going, back to smaller size. I personally think that a DJ41 is a lot of watch (even if it's 39,7mm), with its finishing and fluted bezel it's a lot to wear on the wrist, a bit to loud for my taste.

Reactions: mien and bill33

THoll

Horology Curious
29/6/20
Interesting topic.. I was looking for this exact comparison after hours of research I came out to the same conclusion the battle is (or was bc topics were maybe outdated) between DJF and ARF... from my research I thought ootb DJF was the best, now I'm thinking about ARF. I saw that my TD added recently (few days ago actually) the 126234 JDF with Fluted Dial on SS Jubilee with VR3235 movement. I wonder if it's good..

You guys know from which TD I can find an ARF 126234 with blue dial ? If you have pics that would be awesome, my concern is about the DW being too bold

Last edited:

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
You guys know from which TD I can find an ARF 126234 with blue dial ? If you have pics that would be awesome, my concern is about the DW being too bold

Sorry no, I didn´t stumble upon a 126234 ARF, but to be fair for this thread I just researched on 5 TD´s sites. Maybe just ask your TD, they usually can source everything, if it´s there. I think the 126234 will enter more and more the catalogs and slowly flank the older version. I think the demand will raise and hope eventually VSF and Clean will enter the market. That would be exciting. :popcorn:

assssiate

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
15/12/19
EU
Feefo

Thanks for the great research. You made me want to start a new datejust project.

Inspired by my superfranken 126334 datejust 41, the new one will be a 126234.

I put a lot of emphasis on the bracelet, everything else can be easily modified. A gen bracelet costs well over $2500, which I don't think is worth it for a rep. Unfortunately ARF didn't release a rep here....

Therefore I will continue with the DJF. Is there any experience here if it can take gen parts?

I will inform you about any updates :)

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
Feefo

Thanks for the great research. You made me want to start a new datejust project.

Inspired by my superfranken 126334 datejust 41, the new one will be a 126234.

I put a lot of emphasis on the bracelet, everything else can be easily modified. A gen bracelet costs well over $2500, which I don't think is worth it for a rep. Unfortunately ARF didn't release a rep here....

Therefore I will continue with the DJF. Is there any experience here if it can take gen parts?

ARF has a 36mm. Also there is nothing gen spec about a DJF so I doubt gen parts will work without serious modding.

Last edited:

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
Feefo

Thanks!
I'll appreciate any update, interesting endeavor, good luck!

McDuck888

🌞
22/2/17
UK
Feefo Feefo, look at a DJF datejust and giggle at where the cyclops is placed on the facee. The whole cyclops is way too far to the right of the watch face. Not nearly like a brilliant ARF. ;) :)

Reactions: mien and Yogibear

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
Feefo Feefo, look at a DJF datejust and giggle at where the cyclops is placed on the facee. The whole cyclops is way too far to the right of the watch face. Not nearly like a brilliant ARF. ;) :)

You're right, I missed to mention that, somebody on the threads I read did. If I remember right it was because of the date window placement, subject to the movement. But that could be another watch/another thread... Too many info... I'll check

Genuine

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Certified
3/4/22
Great topic! Let’s hope to find even more improvements and updates here in the future.

I have a blue ARF v3 36. I’d also prefer the dial of an 126 but the hidden clasp jubilee is perfect for the 116 and this bracelet alone feels en looks like a jewel so I would pick it again if I could also choose an 126 with the oyster clasp.

My movement has needed immediately a service and a repair. The hands were loose, date could not be set, no lubrication.

I was quite critical about this replica watch but I after a while I had to conclude that it is great and looks fantastic.
The only things I am a bit bothered about is the magnification wich is too strong, the movement wich is going at +10s/d and that a real golden fluted bezel makes a genuine Rolex even more shiny, or very shiny because it’s a Rolex.
The magnification being to big is quite obvious but only for the one who is wearing the watch so that is what reminds me every time I look again that it is a rep. Always needing to adjust the movement wich is going to fast also doesn’t give you a Swiss watch feeling but a rep feeling.

Nevertheless it is great I think.
I would never put genuine parts in it, it’s fantastic to be able to wear a replica which is so well made and has a price that makes it possible to wear it always and don’t have to worry about damage as you would with the real thing.
If this ARF gets beaten by something better it will be almost perfect!

Reactions: jp13abk

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
Shamelessly bumping this thread in the hope that some senior members could share insights and knowledge on the DJ36mm industry. Any changes to be expected? Even a speculation? There's so little love for the 36mm it almost hurts... Pages and pages on subs, Daytonas and yachtmasters, no love for the beautiful DJ 36mm despite (my impression) much interest especially from noobs. Why, brothers, whyyyyyyyy!?

Reactions: jp13abk

jp13abk

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/8/22
No worries, am a noob myself, I just think that's the kind of research you gotta do when you wtb a new model. I'm, what, 3 months in the rep game and 2 months in rwi. I already have 3 reps (2 for me, one for the wife). I was quite hasty in my first buys, but thorough nonetheless, I knew what I was getting and opted consciously for mid tier/ok quality for money.
The thing is, I've been following numerous threads on explorer 1's, DJ's, OP's, movements. At some point you lose focus, "wait a minute, was clean factory good for DJ or OP? Was VR movement better than VS or the opposite?" I had to order my thoughts for my next buy so I figured if I put it down for myself might as well make it for the community. This time I will take more time, want to see where the trip goes with the DJ36. Maybe VSF will join the race at last..? Maybe the movements will get upgraded to be more reliable?

@Feefo thank you very much for summarising and sharing all your research and findings. It’s invaluable for Noobs like me.

Including the photos makes it even better as, most of the time, you’re working on associating others reviews to model acronyms, without having had an opportunity to visually compare the different variants and study them.

I couldn’t agree more with you about the lack of “love” the 36mm seem to get when compared to other models. I’m embarking on my first rep purchase (Rolex OP 36mm - 2021) and, despite you’re focusing on the DateJust, there’s a lot shared between both models so the information is very useful.

Hopefully the experts can shine some light on any further updates.

Reactions: Feefo

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
@Feefo thank you very much for summarising and sharing all your research and findings. It’s invaluable for Noobs like me.

Including the photos makes it even better as, most of the time, you’re working on associating others reviews to model acronyms, without having had an opportunity to visually compare the different variants and study them.

I couldn’t agree more with you about the lack of “love” the 36mm seem to get when compared to other models. I’m embarking on my first rep purchase (Rolex OP 36mm - 2021) and, despite you’re focusing on the DateJust, there’s a lot shared between both models so the information is very useful.

Hopefully the experts can shine some light on any further updates.
You are welcome! As I said, if I do something useful for me, it could be useful for the community. Share, share, share, that's what this is about, after all. I really hope the OP36 gets a bit more attention, love the silver dial with golden markers... But for now, I wait, I think something new will come out at some point.

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
So... Any of you has any idea if factories which are rocking the DJ41 landscape with almost super-rep level will enter the DJ36 market? In the end, this appears to be the tendency where also the Gen market is going, back to smaller size. I personally think that a DJ41 is a lot of watch (even if it's 39,7mm), with its finishing and fluted bezel it's a lot to wear on the wrist, a bit to loud for my taste.
one can only hope. Especially for a two tone Wimbledon

Oysterperpetual_alltheway

Horology Curious
17/7/22
Hi, everyone, I’m new here so go easy on me, please.
I’m about to pull the trigger on a 36mm DJ from GMF, fluted bezel, white dial, stick markers and oyster bracelet from Jtime.
But the jouney took a bit of time and learning. I was first only looking for 41mm, even though I’m a lady and have been warned agaist it on reptime.
Well I finallly saw my mistake and changed my mind.
But before this I was about to get a VSF 41mm from Perfect clones. The problem was the dial, VSF didn’t have that and Joshua suggested QF factory saying it’s basically the same watch from the “ same backyard dealer”, shom he knows personally.
Selm I dodged a bullet there, because it had SH 3235 movement. Kind people on reptime told me NO way to get it.
And then I decided to go with 36mm instead.
Joshua emailed me saying there are only two semi state(?) owne factories in mainland China SA and SH and that all this VH/VR is BS, other dealers sell the SA and SH the abovementioned better ones only are claimed to be that.
This brings me back to Jtime, the listing said SA 3235. After consulting the forums I was told all newer GMF:s have VR movement.
I emaili Li again asking for th VR. He responds exactly like I was told that it is a VR3235 in the newer models. Ok great.
But was it an old listing that said SA then?
Can I really trust I’ll get a VR movement?
Can I verify it somehow?
What to make of all of this?
Think I’m gonna pull the trigger…

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
Hey, you are indeed asking every possible thread on this matter...
Go on with your order and when you receive QC ask for a pic of the opened caseback. Do some research to be able to recognize the VR (plenty of threads on the matter in the tech section). Or, the easy way, post your pic (one single pic, not the whole QC series) and ask the community. Tech-experts will be able to tell you if it's the movement you're looking for.
If it's not, you'll RL the watch. You can tell your TD even in advance that you will want to see the movement so he needs to send the relevant pic with QC.

Horology Curious
17/7/22
Hey, you are indeed asking every possible thread on this matter...
Go on with your order and when you receive QC ask for a pic of the opened caseback. Do some research to be able to recognize the VR (plenty of threads on the matter in the tech section). Or, the easy way, post your pic (one single pic, not the whole QC series) and ask the community. Tech-experts will be able to tell you if it's the movement you're looking for.
If it's not, you'll RL the watch. You can tell your TD even in advance that you will want to see the movement so he needs to send the relevant pic with QC.
Well hello to you too. I have posted about purchasing a watch yes in one post. Then several issues came up.
So I answered a post asking about people’s experiences with a certain dealer. I saw the post and thought I’d tell my version with said dealer. Was I not supposed to?
Now said dealer is emailing me, telling me these things, like that all GMF DJ have SH movements. Today I asked him if the watch smith’s here wouldn’t be able to tell.
So thank you for enlightening me, albeit in not a very friendly tone…I have been upfront with not knowing a lot about the techy part of all of this, different movements etc. Should I not be allowed to ask the communities for advise? I have not written in every possible thread.
I saw this one dedicated to Datejusts and wanted to say hello and tell you guys what I have heard, since it is a bit unusual.

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
You may have misunderstood my "tone", wasn't supposed to be unfriendly, but I understand that the written word sometimes may come across different than intended. Mine was a genuinely sincere advice. Ask your td for an open case back pick and then submit it to the community to see if it's the movement you're looking for.

Horology Curious
17/7/22
Hi Feefo. I’m sorry I misunderstood. I’m very happy you clarified this. And thank you for the advise!
I will indeed take it. It’s not true it’s just an inscription on a bridge plate is it? This other dealer is relentless in his wanting to “expose “ this rep business, saying that’s it. That he would not know the difference himself if not for the inscription. What is his motivation behind throwing this shade do you think?
I havent had time to research this, since we’re moving on Wednesday and it’s just packing non stop.Of course I don’t believe him, but I believe the whole rep game is full of shadiness, but to this degree, no. I’m sure there are other tell’s too.

Horology Curious
17/7/22
I didn't know they upgraded from SA. Though that vr3135 hybrid aka vr3235 is not well spoken about among watch makers.

If I buy ARF though I'm still swapping out that sh3135 with a VR or VS 3135 either way. I'm just a fan of ARF finishing/feel over the GMF.
I’ve heard that the VR3235 is a good option. Why is it not liked by watch makers?

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
Hey, honestly, I don't know, on all the line. I tend to stick with eta clones for the ease of swap if they break. I learned through reading to stay away from sa/sh movements. I know that VS movements are better than VR (better made, better/more exchangeable parts, better assembled). I guess this may be the reason why watchsmiths don't like vs, because you can't swap parts? Anyhow, VS are very well regarded. In doubt, one can have the watch serviced upon arrival, but I tend to wait to see if it's necessary.