• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Status of the Datejust 36mm reviews and offerings

Feefo

Your cleverness is mistaken for your cleverness
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
So my next buy will probably be the Datejust 36mm (116234 or 126234, not sure which one yet, leaning towards 12….). For this purpose, I have combed the forum looking for as much info as possible, but foremost as new/fresh info as possible. Since "what is the best dj36" seems to be a frequent question that rarely gets answered thoroughly (so much on the 41mm version….), I figured I´d share the results of my research.

A disclaimer right at the start, excluded from my resarch are all TT/gold versions, all roman numerals/wimbledons and diamond dials. I´m interested in just plain DJ with stick markers (w or w/o railway minute markers), both smooth and fluted bezel, both oyster and jubilee bracelet.

Here´s the state of the art of the Datejust 36mm (in relation to what´s been discussed in various threads from 2019 to today and current offerings on 5 TD´s sites) :

ARF: this is among the top-tier factories and generally regarded as one of the best versions available. Pro´s are the overall gen feel and looks and the outstanding bracelet (this one appears to be THE best out there). The only drawback is the datewheel font which in V1 and V2 options was a no-go (too thick), but, for some, was improved in the V3 version in 2020; some still consider it not sufficient still. There also were rumors of the rhodium plating of the bezel peeling off, but nothing I could confirm. One of the preferred characteristics of this watch is the modability/frankability for those who have the heart, wallet and patience to do so. For a franken, this is THE watch to buy.

Today, it comes with a 3135 movement. ARF does only fluted bezels, only 904L steel and only the 116234 DJ (railroad minute tracks). But beware that V2 and V3 versions are sold at the same price point (418$), so make sure with your TD what you´re getting!

DJF - also top-tier, by many regarded as the best option ootb (definitely so in 2019, in 2020 GMF raised some competition in this regard). Feel and looks very similar to ARF (ARF lovers will say lower quality…) with the plus of a correct dw font. Some also say that the crown action feels better/smoother than ARF (ETA clone movement). So the general quality (dial, hands, cyclops, bracelet) is good, maybe not as good as with ARF. Particularly cyclops position is incorrect since it carries an ETA clone. This is also the reason why it is difficult (impossible?) to mod/franken. On the other hand, les experienced guys like the possibility of an easy 1:1 swap with a gen ETA or Sellita movement if the A2xxx craps out.

DJF offers only the 116234 (old) reference. In 2019 it carried an A2836, available only in 316L SS, silver or blue dials, only fluted bezel and only oytesr bracelet (388$). Today there´s a version in 904L SS same options as above (348$)

GMF - in many ways, this has been a mistery version for a long time until in 2020 it was regarded as a solid best ootb option. Back in 2019 it was only issuing the 126234(newer) reference but only on oyster bracelet. Today you find also the 116234 version. The newer reference is offered in 904L SS fluted and smooth (fewer though) bezel and mostly jubilee bracelet. It comes with a 3235 mov (448-468$) or a 28xx movement (368$). Some TD´s say it´s 12,5mm thick, so worth inquiring if you´re not keen on fat cases (gen is 11,7mm). The older version comes also only in 904L SS, only 3135 mov, only smooth and only oyster bracelet (378$).

Be advised, the blue GMF has a purplish hue, which I´m not sure has been corrected in newer versions.

BPF - considered as mid-tier by most (except for ist Explorer 1), BP factory is trying to cover the needs of those who´re not too picky and don´t have a fat wallet. In my personal opinion (given you find the right model) almost always good bang for bucks. Opinions range from "fairly decent" to "crappy quality". Yes, overall the finishing quality is not up to par with the factories above, but flaws are barely noticeable irl and BP has good dials, mostly nailing colors and with good applications. I´ve read that BP and GMF are "sister" factories, and I´ve also recorded following statement: GMF > BPF = EWF. I can´t comment on that, don´t know personally, maybe someone can chime in and clarify relations and quality.

Today, BP´s DJ comes in the 116234 version, only in 316 F and 316L SS (30 to 50$ cheaper), only fluted bezel but both oyster and jubilee bracelets (silver, white, black dials) and mainly 3135 mov, a couple of 28xx mov options (278 - 338$).

In 2020 BP released the 126234 version, this comes in different configurations, smooth/fluted bezel, oyster/jubilee, 904L/316L SS, 28xx/3235 mov, ranging from 298$ (316L SS) to 348 and 408$. Thickness is also ´here sometimes recorded as 13mm, so check this out.

EWF - not much to say about EW factory, considered low-tier by most, TD´s also clasified them like this in 2019, I think they have improved in the last years but cannot say much about their DJ36´s overall quality. A positive is that TD´s advertise a 11,9mm thickness. They only have the 126234 version in 316L SS with a 3235 mov, fluted bezel, jubilee bracelet (288$). Be advised, the black dial looks quite pale, almost gray on the pics. That´s definitely one of the cheapest current offerings.

Some unrecorded models:

DIWF - a new factory, not much info there, some say quality is comparable to GMF. Offering the newer 126234 version in 904L SS, 3235 mov, only fluted bezel in black and blue (the latter just in oyster). Price point 388$.

XRF - Has a small 36mm DJ offering. Not much information, one thread concentrated more on TT and quickly turned south because of a quarrel between members, so not much objective information there, but at least that tells you the ever-present duality of this hobby: some focus on details and tend to see the glass half empty, others try to see it half full and say well, for the money it´s ok. XRF has the cheapest offering with the 126234 version in 316L SS, only fluted bezel, only jubilee, only 2836 mov (pink, blue, silver and white) at 258$. I guess this puts it on par with EWF.

Last but not least, the myth:

VSF - there´s been numerous times rumours of VSF releasing a 36mm version, but nothing ever happened. Since VSF is by most regarded as the best 41mm DJ, many hopes still envelope this dream. In my opinion, given the price point of the 41mm (>700$ at some TD´s) that´s nothing for me…

Final thoughts:

What I somewhat missed in the research was no discussion on bezel shape and color fidelity as in comparable 41mm threads. I would be grateful if someone could say something about it, at least confirming that if no discussion was made, there also is not a problem.

Finally, I notice that researches would be much more effective if members gave some indications:
  • ootb or modding type of person? / type of watch
  • Wrist size when posting wristies
And even more effective if TD´s implemented a some better filtering modalities, it´s hard to go through 5 times >500 watches…. I surely missed something or maybe got something wrong, feel free to correct me or implement when insufficiently exposed.

Hope you enjoyed and someone found this helpful!

Take care!

Edit 10.01.2023:
There have been some developments since I first posted this with VSF and then clean entering the 36mm race. These two models probably top easily all the above-mentioned.

Some new threads:

Last edited:

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Nice compilation of findings - thanks for taking the time and effort to make the post. This is the sort of thing that comes in very helpful for members looking around to answer that question, "Who Makes The Best <insert rep model here>?"

Some pics would set the whole thing off a treat - nick 'em from TD sites!

Reactions: d4v3

kaypee

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/5/22
CONUS
So my next buy will probably be the Datejust 36mm (116234 or 126234, not sure which one yet, leaning towards 12….). For this purpose, I have combed the forum looking for as much info as possible, but foremost as new/fresh info as possible. Since "what is the best dj36" seems to be a frequent question that rarely gets answered thoroughly (so much on the 41mm version….), I figured I´d share the results of my research.

A disclaimer right at the start, excluded from my resarch are all TT/gold versions, all roman numerals/wimbledons and diamond dials. I´m interested in just plain DJ with stick markers (w or w/o railway minute markers), both smooth and fluted bezel, both oyster and jubilee bracelet.

Here´s the state of the art of the Datejust 36mm (in relation to what´s been discussed in various threads from 2019 to today and current offerings on 5 TD´s sites) :

ARF: this is among the top-tier factories and generally regarded as one of the best versions available. Pro´s are the overall gen feel and looks and the outstanding bracelet (this one appears to be THE best out there). The only drawback is the datewheel font which in V1 and V2 options was a no-go (too thick), but, for some, was improved in the V3 version in 2020; some still consider it not sufficient still. There also were rumors of the rhodium plating of the bezel peeling off, but nothing I could confirm. One of the preferred characteristics of this watch is the modability/frankability for those who have the heart, wallet and patience to do so. For a franken, this is THE watch to buy.

Today, it comes with a 3135 movement. ARF does only fluted bezels, only 904L steel and only the 116234 DJ (railroad minute tracks). But beware that V2 and V3 versions are sold at the same price point (418$), so make sure with your TD what you´re getting!

DJF - also top-tier, by many regarded as the best option ootb (definitely so in 2019, in 2020 GMF raised some competition in this regard). Feel and looks very similar to ARF (ARF lovers will say lower quality…) with the plus of a correct dw font. Some also say that the crown action feels better/smoother than ARF (ETA clone movement). So the general quality (dial, hands, cyclops, bracelet) is good, maybe not as good as with ARF. Particularly cyclops position is incorrect since it carries an ETA clone. This is also the reason why it is difficult (impossible?) to mod/franken. On the other hand, les experienced guys like the possibility of an easy 1:1 swap with a gen ETA or Sellita movement if the A2xxx craps out.

DJF offers only the 116234 (old) reference. In 2019 it carried an A2836, available only in 316L SS, silver or blue dials, only fluted bezel and only oytesr bracelet (388$). Today there´s a version in 904L SS same options as above (348$)

GMF - in many ways, this has been a mistery version for a long time until in 2020 it was regarded as a solid best ootb option. Back in 2019 it was only issuing the 126234(newer) reference but only on oyster bracelet. Today you find also the 116234 version. The newer reference is offered in 904L SS fluted and smooth (fewer though) bezel and mostly jubilee bracelet. It comes with a 3235 mov (448-468$) or a 28xx movement (368$). Some TD´s say it´s 12,5mm thick, so worth inquiring if you´re not keen on fat cases (gen is 11,7mm). The older version comes also only in 904L SS, only 3135 mov, only smooth and only oyster bracelet (378$).

Be advised, the blue GMF has a purplish hue, which I´m not sure has been corrected in newer versions.

BPF - considered as mid-tier by most (except for ist Explorer 1), BP factory is trying to cover the needs of those who´re not too picky and don´t have a fat wallet. In my personal opinion (given you find the right model) almost always good bang for bucks. Opinions range from "fairly decent" to "crappy quality". Yes, overall the finishing quality is not up to par with the factories above, but flaws are barely noticeable irl and BP has good dials, mostly nailing colors and with good applications. I´ve read that BP and GMF are "sister" factories, and I´ve also recorded following statement: GMF > BPF = EWF. I can´t comment on that, don´t know personally, maybe someone can chime in and clarify relations and quality.

Today, BP´s DJ comes in the 116234 version, only in 316 F and 316L SS (30 to 50$ cheaper), only fluted bezel but both oyster and jubilee bracelets (silver, white, black dials) and mainly 3135 mov, a couple of 28xx mov options (278 - 338$).

In 2020 BP released the 126234 version, this comes in different configurations, smooth/fluted bezel, oyster/jubilee, 904L/316L SS, 28xx/3235 mov, ranging from 298$ (316L SS) to 348 and 408$. Thickness is also ´here sometimes recorded as 13mm, so check this out.

EWF - not much to say about EW factory, considered low-tier by most, TD´s also clasified them like this in 2019, I think they have improved in the last years but cannot say much about their DJ36´s overall quality. A positive is that TD´s advertise a 11,9mm thickness. They only have the 126234 version in 316L SS with a 3235 mov, fluted bezel, jubilee bracelet (288$). Be advised, the black dial looks quite pale, almost gray on the pics. That´s definitely one of the cheapest current offerings.

Some unrecorded models:

DIWF - a new factory, not much info there, some say quality is comparable to GMF. Offering the newer 126234 version in 904L SS, 3235 mov, only fluted bezel in black and blue (the latter just in oyster). Price point 388$.

XRF - Has a small 36mm DJ offering. Not much information, one thread concentrated more on TT and quickly turned south because of a quarrel between members, so not much objective information there, but at least that tells you the ever-present duality of this hobby: some focus on details and tend to see the glass half empty, others try to see it half full and say well, for the money it´s ok. XRF has the cheapest offering with the 126234 version in 316L SS, only fluted bezel, only jubilee, only 2836 mov (pink, blue, silver and white) at 258$. I guess this puts it on par with EWF.

Last but not least, the myth:

VSF - there´s been numerous times rumours of VSF releasing a 36mm version, but nothing ever happened. Since VSF is by most regarded as the best 41mm DJ, many hopes still envelope this dream. In my opinion, given the price point of the 41mm (>700$ at some TD´s) that´s nothing for me…

Final thoughts:

What I somewhat missed in the research was no discussion on bezel shape and color fidelity as in comparable 41mm threads. I would be grateful if someone could say something about it, at least confirming that if no discussion was made, there also is not a problem.

Finally, I notice that researches would be much more effective if members gave some indications:
  • ootb or modding type of person? / type of watch
  • Wrist size when posting wristies
And even more effective if TD´s implemented a some better filtering modalities, it´s hard to go through 5 times >500 watches…. I surely missed something or maybe got something wrong, feel free to correct me or implement when insufficiently exposed.

Hope you enjoyed and someone found this helpful!

Take care!

Thank you for summarizing for us NOOBS

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
Nice research! Avoid EWF at all costs and DJF is no good.

Rhodium plating will always wear off on anything.

ARF improved their DW and crystal. GMF looks like they improved their crystal too however you get a bad movement in the GMF and with the price being close to ARF you are better going with ARF.

john doe iii

23/6/15
CONUS

ARF improved their DW and crystal. GMF looks like they improved their crystal too however you get a bad movement in the GMF and with the price being close to ARF you are better going with ARF.

A bad movement with GMF? They are offering their latest Datejust with a VR 3235 and also have corrected the blue dial to gen like.

4815012a5c57ec1e04b3bcbeb6321ee4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
A bad movement with GMF? They are offering their latest Datejust with a VR 3235 and also have corrected the blue dial to gen like.

4815012a5c57ec1e04b3bcbeb6321ee4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't know they upgraded from SA. Though that vr3135 hybrid aka vr3235 is not well spoken about among watch makers.

If I buy ARF though I'm still swapping out that sh3135 with a VR or VS 3135 either way. I'm just a fan of ARF finishing/feel over the GMF.

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU

DJF no good? Can you elaborate on that, since my understanding is that DJF stands right there with ARF, the former if you want the best ootb option, the latter for frankening.

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
DJF no good? Can you elaborate on that, since my understanding is that DJF stands right there with ARF, the former if you want the best ootb option, the latter for frankening.

SEL gap, flimsy cheap bracelet, wrong Lume and bad DW and crap gasket. I think maybe it was popular back then because of its proper crown height when ARF didn't have it.

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
SEL gap, flimsy cheap bracelet, wrong Lume and bad DW and crap gasket. I think maybe it was popular back then because of its proper crown height when ARF didn't have it.

That's interesting and follows a pattern I have observed elsewhere, too. A model being dissected on a couple of flaws for months until finally factories catch up with better following versions, and at that point members find other flaws, unimportant or unnoticed until then, but which become the new reason for defining the model as crappy. I never stumbled on the stuff you mention, but very good to know. This is the reason why I started the thread, to prompt new discussions and get more opinions.
All please chime in!

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
That's interesting and follows a pattern I have observed elsewhere, too. A model being dissected on a couple of flaws for months until finally factories catch up with better following versions, and at that point members find other flaws, unimportant or unnoticed until then, but which become the new reason for defining the model as crappy. I never stumbled on the stuff you mention, but very good to know. This is the reason why I started the thread, to prompt new discussions and get more opinions.
All please chime in!

There was a member here selling a DJF case for 60 usd. I don't even think it ever sold. That was there for such a long time. They are not a sought-after after factory.

You have to be careful what you read sometimes. If you eventually get to Daytona for example you will read Noob was the best, best ootb, Noob this, Noob that etc. But in reality it was their noob4130 movement that carried it. The rest of the watch was pretty bad. First thing people were doing were swapping out the noob bracelet with ARF.

Back to the topic of DJ. Since you have a BP Explorer already I wouldn't suggest a GMF. Definitely consider an ARF and see the difference in hand.

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
Yogibear thanks for the advice, at some point I will definitely go down that road, and maybe experience an epiphany. I´m still a noob and BP is my first contact, so this is my benchmark at the moment. Quite excited to see/feel the difference with ARF at some point. Let´s see...

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
p0pperini here you go (for ease, just silver and blue dials):

ARF

DJF:

GMF (watch out for "blurple" dial...):

BP (back before 2019, it had also the "blurple" problem, which figures since BP and GMF are said to be connected):

EWF:
DIWF (no silver version here):

XRF (the cheapest of the lot):

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Ah goody, pics! Nice one Feefo - that's brightened the thread up no end! :)

And just a bit of friendly advice - if you want to avoid being "That Noob", try to remember it's never very clever quoting an entire, very long post, in order to give a one-line response. :thumbsup:

RX7GP

🦁
Supporter
Certified
16/2/16
Ask ETA for QC to your TD before ordering if you want GMF. I'm still waiting for QC. Its been almost 3 weeks now and even no ETA. My TD asked if there are any other models in stock but no response yet, GMF is very unresponsive and slow lately.

Last edited:

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
Ask ETA for QC to your TD before ordering if you want GMF.

That's actually what I did with my 39mm explorer 1 BP, I expressly asked for an ETA mov, which was not listed. I am no mov expert, but I've learned here that if that craps out its a 1:1 swap with gen eta or sellita with no fuss, just the swap. That's the reason why I think it would be useful, when people express their opinion, to take in consideration two utterly different attitudes towards the hobby: do I want a watch i can wear ootb and never put my hands on it or am I the kind off guy who likes the idea of having it modded/franked or even do it myself? I'm definitely in the first category. At the moment, you never know...

Reactions: prefuse07

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU

No worries, am a noob myself, I just think that's the kind of research you gotta do when you wtb a new model. I'm, what, 3 months in the rep game and 2 months in rwi. I already have 3 reps (2 for me, one for the wife). I was quite hasty in my first buys, but thorough nonetheless, I knew what I was getting and opted consciously for mid tier/ok quality for money.
The thing is, I've been following numerous threads on explorer 1's, DJ's, OP's, movements. At some point you lose focus, "wait a minute, was clean factory good for DJ or OP? Was VR movement better than VS or the opposite?" I had to order my thoughts for my next buy so I figured if I put it down for myself might as well make it for the community. This time I will take more time, want to see where the trip goes with the DJ36. Maybe VSF will join the race at last..? Maybe the movements will get upgraded to be more reliable?

kaypee

5/5/22
CONUS
No worries, am a noob myself, I just think that's the kind of research you gotta do when you wtb a new model. I'm, what, 3 months in the rep game and 2 months in rwi. I already have 3 reps (2 for me, one for the wife). I was quite hasty in my first buys, but thorough nonetheless, I knew what I was getting and opted consciously for mid tier/ok quality for money.
The thing is, I've been following numerous threads on explorer 1's, DJ's, OP's, movements. At some point you lose focus, "wait a minute, was clean factory good for DJ or OP? Was VR movement better than VS or the opposite?" I had to order my thoughts for my next buy so I figured if I put it down for myself might as well make it for the community. This time I will take more time, want to see where the trip goes with the DJ36. Maybe VSF will join the race at last..? Maybe the movements will get upgraded to be more reliable?

I like your thinking. I may have to do this myself for my next purchase. A VSF DJ41 was my first purchase

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
I like your thinking. I may have to do this myself for my next purchase. A VSF DJ41 was my first purchase

Wow! Before or after the price skyrocketed? I guess it's a beaut though, isn't it? Is the reputation justified? How does it wear/what's your wrist size? Oh man, am hijacking my own thread... :picard:

kaypee

5/5/22
CONUS
Wow! Before or after the price skyrocketed? I guess it's a beaut though, isn't it? Is the reputation justified? How does it wear/what's your wrist size? Oh man, am hijacking my own thread... :picard:

I got it from M2M sale here on RWI. I found a local guy in my area so could avoid customs issues ordering abroad, incredible guy and gave me a very good deal (I don't think the money was a huge concern for him). I also got a ZF factory 116610LV at the same time.

I love it. It wears excellently and looks absolutely gorgeous. Sweep is smooth and the movement looks fantastic under magnification (to my un-trained eye). I am honestly not 100% on wrist size, not big though. Typically I wear ~7" bracelets on my watches, so somewhere around there. I've been thinking a 36mm might be a better option for my wrist size, but I do like the look of larger watches so am happy with this one for now!

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
Good for you, enjoy!
With the watch size it's not only a matter of wristsize to case/lug-to-lug size but also very much personal taste. I have a 6,5''ish wrist and my 39mm explorer fits just right and some, but I tried the 36mm at the AD and that one fit perfectly. The AD though kept telling me how great the 39mm was.... I have plenty 38mm cases and I love how my OP36 wears. On the other hand I also like 40mm when the case is thin. In the end, you never know until you have it on your wrist and you start building a relationship with it. I once found myself "meh" wearing an internet microbrand buy, but eventually it grew on me. That's probably one of the reasons I fell in the rabbit hole...