• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rusted spring bar

Fisherman1980

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
Certified
18/9/21
So saltwater and spring bars are a bad thing. So I want to switch out straps but a spring bar can’t be released. Any recommendations?

ForecastMax

Renowned Member
27/12/12
You can soak it or spray it w/ dry lube or WD-40 then use a spring bar tool/tweezers to pull it free

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK

Fisherman1980

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
Certified
18/9/21
A table saw, or that laser thing that nearly removed Bond’s nads.

Anyone over at RWG will tell you I’m the man when it comes to removing springbars.

https://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?...-bluesy-has-been-fitted-using-2mm-springbars/

Alternatively, as suggested above - dribble a little WD40 onto the ends, leave it overnight, then get the springbar tool on ‘em.

And then reach for the Dremel.

Thanks which dremel attachment are you using that’s small enough to cut the end points?

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Thanks which dremel attachment are you using that’s small enough to cut the end points?

I really think you should take a look at my springbar disaster thread, before you go taking any advice from me...

The Dremel signoff line was added for comic effect. I mean, in theory it'll work... but a) it would doubtless mess up the strap, and b) you'd have to be as reckless as I am to go that route. However. if you don't care about the strap, then slide something between the case and springbar to protect the case, and then cut straight through the middle of the strap/springbar with a Dremel cutting disk.

And there I go again, giving advice that I'm definite will probably be 100% safe and simple and absolutely guaranteed to not go wrong, probably... having never tried it.

Honestly, you'd fare just as well using the Bond-emasculating laser, as taking my advice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Plaasbaas

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
A table saw, or that laser thing that nearly removed Bond’s nads.

Anyone over at RWG will tell you I’m the man when it comes to removing springbars.

https://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?...-bluesy-has-been-fitted-using-2mm-springbars/

Alternatively, as suggested above - dribble a little WD40 onto the ends, leave it overnight, then get the springbar tool on ‘em.

And then reach for the Dremel.

This reminded me of my similarity expensive, frustrating and unsuccessful attempts at modding / building / fixing watches during the 2020 lockdown. It was not something I persevered with, but the experience did illustrate my limits well.

Reactions: p0pperini

Alhig72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
15/11/16
UK
So saltwater and spring bars are a bad thing. So I want to switch out straps but a spring bar can’t be released. Any recommendations?
What kind of strap,
If it's leather wrap a screwdriver with tape and bend the springbar till it pops out of the lugs

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk