• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

BETTER Factory Oysterflex Daytona's on the roll..

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
I was doing a little research into the black and diamond dial 116519LN from BTF, and I found something strange... There appears to be a discrepancy between the details of the watch between different TD sites. Also, it appears that BTF screwed up the Au750 stamp on the caseback.

On TrustyTime, the crown has three dots of the same size. This is correct for steel, but incorrect for white gold. Puretime shows pics with the correct small-big-small dot pattern.

But the biggest WTF moment I found was related to the stamps on the caseback. The correct caseback stamp for this model is Au750 which means 75% Gold... On Puretime the caseback shows a stamp of simply 750 without the Au prefix. But on TrustyTime the caseback pic shows PT950 which is doubly wrong. It's first wrong because this model is white gold not Platinum, and it's secondly wrong because the correct marking for platinum Daytonas is Pt950 (lower case "t").

I kind of amazes me that factories can go to such lengths to get microscopic details correct and then mess up on something so obvious as a stamp... I get that this might be a harder mistake to correct -- the stamps aren't machined or laser engraved, they are actually stamped (or at least it looks like it), and as such BTF would need to get new stamp tooling made, and maybe the person on case finishing duty doesn't read/write a language that uses Latin script so PT950 looks the same as Pt950. But It's hard to believe that somebody, even somebody who doesn't read or write a western language would think Au750 and 750 are "close enough".

Sigh... and now I wait for v2.

boisvert

Horology Curious
31/5/21
I was doing a little research into the black and diamond dial 116519LN from BTF, and I found something strange... There appears to be a discrepancy between the details of the watch between different TD sites. Also, it appears that BTF screwed up the Au750 stamp on the caseback.

On TrustyTime, the crown has three dots of the same size. This is correct for steel, but incorrect for white gold. Puretime shows pics with the correct small-big-small dot pattern.

But the biggest WTF moment I found was related to the stamps on the caseback. The correct caseback stamp for this model is Au750 which means 75% Gold... On Puretime the caseback shows a stamp of simply 750 without the Au prefix. But on TrustyTime the caseback pic shows PT950 which is doubly wrong. It's first wrong because this model is white gold not Platinum, and it's secondly wrong because the correct marking for platinum Daytonas is Pt950 (lower case "t").

I kind of amazes me that factories can go to such lengths to get microscopic details correct and then mess up on something so obvious as a stamp... I get that this might be a harder mistake to correct -- the stamps aren't machined or laser engraved, they are actually stamped (or at least it looks like it), and as such BTF would need to get new stamp tooling made, and maybe the person on case finishing duty doesn't read/write a language that uses Latin script so PT950 looks the same as Pt950. But It's hard to believe that somebody, even somebody who doesn't read or write a western language would think Au750 and 750 are "close enough".

the Au750 or 750 could it change depending when the watch was built at the factory? This one is only 750 written

https://www.chrono24.ca/rolex/rolex-cosmograph-daytona--id23494307.htm

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
the Au750 or 750 could it change depending when the watch was built at the factory? This one is only 750 written

https://www.chrono24.ca/rolex/rolex-cosmograph-daytona--id23494307.htm

Fair point. I only checked on gen, and assumed that all gens were the same. After checking through a bunch of listings, it does appear that for both the 116518 (yellow gold) and 116519 (white gold) there are examples on Chrono24 with both Au750 and simply 750.

I concede my point on the Au750 vs 750 point... however, on the Pt950 vs PT950 I stand by my observation that "T" is not the same thing as "t"... also the PT950 stamped caseback on Trusty's website has this symbol stamped on the other lug. This is a symbol that's a little hard to read, but it's a stamp of a balance scale with 750 imposed over it -- a symbol for objects that are made of 75% gold!!!!

The correct symbol for a Platinum case is a diamond with 950 written inside... like this.

Although with this image apparently 950PT is also a valid stamp for platinum casebacks... damn it... this is why we can't have nice things.

Valentz

Honest Scammer
Supporter
7/5/20
The detail is in the back, it will not be a problem since you dont wear it opposite.
But if you want to pass this watch and said its gen to your friend, then they will find out about the weight is lighter than white gold first, before they pay attention on the detail.

You have good eyes sir. But its not a problem at all if you dont try to act your rep watch is gen.

Just enjoy the hobby and dont mind the details that nobody cant even see it when you wear it.

and lets wait more real picts before we decide anything.

boisvert

Horology Curious
31/5/21
The gold one that I saw on WeChat Yu Wenle has:

- New N4130 caliber
- 18K refinish + gold stamp at the back
- BUFF Needle
- RBV 3 disc
- Clean loop
- DEEP lens
- Glass Drop 12.3

- 154.5g

Last edited:

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
The detail is in the back, it will not be a problem since you dont wear it opposite.
But if you want to pass this watch and said its gen to your friend, then they will find out about the weight is lighter than white gold first, before they pay attention on the detail.

You have good eyes sir. But its not a problem at all if you dont try to act your rep watch is gen.

Just enjoy the hobby and dont mind the details that nobody cant even see it when you wear it.

and lets wait more real picts before we decide anything.

Oh I agree… a 904L stainless steel rep is NEVER gonna pass as gen once someone has it in their hands. But let’s not overlook the amount of ink that gets spilled in this forum over sub-millimeter scale perceived differences between a rep and a gen. The recent CF Daytona crown dot alignment scandal comes to mind. All reps have flaws, (if they didn’t there would be 90% fewer posts on this forum) but since we’re not dealing with DHGate here, I think we should expect an absence of typos. (Or glyphos? Errors in glyphs? You know what I mean).

that said one of my favorite reps is my R8F AP tourbillon which has a typo on the caseback… And it’s still beautiful.

tinitonsi

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
21/3/14

…pics…

My approved QC pics…

d8a2058d064743fac93b157d003e886f.jpg
9f881a374f2c90046800b3ed7520e6d8.jpg

Reactions: dogwood

DSignR

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/10/21
Germany

Yeah, that and the dots at TrustyTime are even on a curved line ... very strange, seems like even among the v1 of this model there are certain sublevels?! ... or in a rush when putting the watch together they just mixed up the crown with one from the panda models?! ... something like that. One can only hope to have luck and receive a model that's put together with the correct pieces ;)

And btw. it always confused me why ROLEX doesn't use unique identifier codes ... I mean these are all 116519LN ... okay, all WG with Oysterflex, but the dials are very different:

Reactions: paolobriatico

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
And btw. it always confused me why ROLEX doesn't use unique identifier codes ... I mean these are all 116519LN ... okay, all WG with Oysterflex, but the dials are very different:

I think Rolex might actually have sub-variant codes, although I'm not sure if they're used anywhere other than on the website. You can see them in the address bar at the bottom of your browser when you hover the mouse over each of the models on the rolex page.

Meteorite dial is -0038 https://www.rolex.com/watches/cosmograph-daytona/m116519ln-0038.html
Brown dial is -0027 https://www.rolex.com/watches/cosmograph-daytona/m116519ln-0027.html
Black Diamond dial is -0025 https://www.rolex.com/watches/cosmograph-daytona/m116519ln-0025.html

I wonder if these are official or if this is just the webmaster avoiding namespace collisions?

Reactions: DSignR

Keishara

Daytona Nerd
Patron
25/2/21
Someone's QC. Daytona font colour is still off but worst is the alignment of the numbers on the subdials as they are just all over the place. Subdial tracks should be a deeper black. Crown is wonky and the dial text is too thick. I'd wait to see if clean can do better.
21d22b36c7e0f63a1e72e2dcf047241f.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Reactions: paolobriatico