• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What are the fail points of waterproofing ?

ETAWatchlover

5/7/16
Hello,
i recently picked up a noob V8s 2836 .I plan or want to waterproof it. Now I wonder what is the chance of failure with replica precision ?
I would like to know if I should replace the crown and tube with gen or reputable aftermarket parts and how often is the sealing surface compromised of for example the case back or Cristal gasket?

I know all of them can be compromised to the point where I could only get it to 3atm.

My fear with these "diver" watches is that water can get in but not out because the watch might be sealed up to 80% .

I have a Seiko and I know you should not use them diving but for me having a leaky submariner is way worse than a wrong claps code or so :)

Thanks for any answer from people who have more experience in waterproofing than me

Reactions: GottaHave

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
If you want a waterproof watch don’t buy REPs.
To make your V8 more water resistant there are a few DIY you can do at home.

Seal the tube with diver silicone.
Grease the o-ring in the caseback with diver silicone.
Tighten the caseback using the correct tool.
Make sure the crystal is pressed in place – use a crystal press to check.

Reactions: StrangwaysAtoll

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
There is no such thing as a waterproof watch. There are different levels of water resistance. Have your watch tested just as you would with a gen.

ETAWatchlover

5/7/16
I should have written water resistance not proof lol. I know it is difficult to get a more consistent water resistance with reps

Reactions: GottaHave

rwc1313

Horology Curious
22/1/22
I'm curious as well, I guess my question would be WHERE are the fail points on a replica and why they exist specifically on a replica watch as opposed to its gen version?

Reactions: ETAWatchlover

ETAWatchlover

5/7/16
I mean these watches look good from a distance but the quality control and lack of care in the craftsmanship impede the water resistance .The tube tolerance is possible quite high and the grooves on the case back for the gasket might not be mashined properly because of old CNC bits .

Reactions: rwc1313

rwc1313

Horology Curious
22/1/22
I’m assuming the more gen parts that are used increases the chances for a good seal. Gen spec parts being the next best thing…

StrangwaysAtoll

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/5/22
Jamaica
Lube the gaskets and clean the threads on the watch back. Remove the movement and crown, clean the threads and lube the crown gasket(s). Reinstall the crown and case back without the movement and perform the pressure test. You Tube haas some good examples of doing the test with the equipment needed.