• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

tempting to do a mod

AAH1483

Certified
5/12/12
Hey guys and hope all is well. I really like all black watches so i bought this deepsea and i think its a fantasy because i searched for this particular one but the double red I see does not exist so I'm tempted to do a mod with this one . Need a little help with this one trying to source the correct dial , movement and hands. this is the link for the watch and its a 44mm . Any advise is appreciated. https://www.pfc8188.com/watches/rol...unter-deepsea-116660-ss-ss-black-sa-3135.html.
Thanks guys.

AAH1483

Certified
5/12/12
Thanks for responding p0pperini . Very interesting. I literally searched for this watch and it keeps showing up as a replica is why I made this post. So what your saying is that this is an actual made Rolex and not fantasy? If I'm not mistaken I think on the forum some people was saying that the caseback was wrong. It has the picture of the diver helmet on the back instead of the regular deepsea caseback.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
This double red was offered by Pro Hunter in the past, which is why it’s not in their current collection. The correct caseback for these Pro Hunters has a large etched 3 digit serial number (you can just make it out on the one I linked).

Like DIW, Tempus Machina or Bamford (before they stopped messing with Rolex models), Pro Hunter does these models in a limited edition, which adds to their desirability among folks who like this sort of thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020

AAH1483

Certified
5/12/12
Is there any casebacks for these still in circulation by chance? Gonna give it a try on ebay and check. Thanks mate????

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
Most pro hunter reps are pretty rubbish to begin with (I have one too for fun).

If you are serious with this project, I would suggest you to get a normal deep sea base watch with a better quality and version. You will need to do sim digging in the forum as I have no idea. But after that, send the watch to be DLC, change the dial (your might need a dial custom printed) and get the case back engraved.

My dad actually knows Kamal (he started Prohunter), Kamal used to buy gen watches from my dad's friend as he was a grey wholesaler (I'm talking he has like 300 subs at one given time), that's all before the hype of sports models in the mid 2000s. Early prohunter DLC were done in China for around $100 ish bucks, that's how Kamal made his money as he lost it dealing drugs and got into prison (that's what I got told but I can't fact check that) and had a fallout with his family who still operates a shop at Upper Old Bond Street near Oxford Street.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

AAH1483

Certified
5/12/12
Thanks Philwongnz for responding as well. I'm probably going to put in a swiss eta 2824 in it and I have a old deepsea caseback in excellent condition that I have laying around just a small mod nothing big and call it a day. Thanks for the input.

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
I see, that's a lot more simpler than your first post. Honestly, if your watch is running fine you don't necessarily need to put an ETA in it. An Asian 2824 is just as good, unless it is not running well and it requires a service the service fee will typically be around 60-70% of a new ETA then it might worth considering IMHO. A 2824 is a work horse movement, it doesn't necessarily needs to be replaced just because is made in China.

I think you should focus more on the front, for example, the insert marker are not supposed to be white, is platinum plated silver.

Last edited: