• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

CF 12xxxx SEL mod

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16

A complaint about the CF and VS bracelets is that the center link is close to being flush with the side links. Admittedly it's a nitpick, but it is possible to give it more definition if you're determined and have time to spend. After dismantling the bracelet I used a fine Swiss file to slightly lower the side links. My file only cuts on the bottom and not the sides, so it doesn't damage the center link and maintains a crisp corner. After several filings and test fittings, I stone the link with a diemaker's oil stone and then brush with 400 grit paper on a sanding stick.

The completed finish is not like factory, as I don't have the polishing tools they use, but it looks ok. It's a very slight mod (maybe .2 or .3mm) that only a watch nerd could notice or appreciate, but it does give the SEL a more gen-like appearance.

couvreur

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
29/6/12
Very lovely. Great work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ForecastMax

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
27/12/12
Bro, CHARGE FOR THIS MOD!

I’ll be your first customer lol

Always tinkering….

Reactions: keisuke_z

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
Very nice work bro, looks much better with the greater definition.

Thank you bro. Depending on the person it might be considered a small mod that’s barely noticeable or a nice fix to a detail overlooked by the manufacturer. For me it was worth it.

Reactions: KJ2020

tribal

Renowned Member
27/3/06
Germany
Great work on this problem!
Maybe you can sand down the surface with some 800 and 1000er sandpaper.
After that use fine grinding fleece to get the right finish on the SEL.

Gesendet von meinem Mi MIX 2S mit Tapatalk

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
...I used a fine Swiss file to slightly lower the side links. My file only cuts on the bottom and not the sides, so it doesn't damage the center link and maintains a crisp corner.

What a great mod! I'm tempted to pickup a bracelet puller to do this one myself. Do you recall where you purchased your Swiss file? Checked my tool drawer and the 20+ files I have all have teeth or abrasive coating on the sides :sad:

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
I’ve had my files for years. They are Valorbe brand medium and fine.

Reactions: butler182

Platomates

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/6/23
Singapore

A complaint about the CF and VS bracelets is that the center link is close to being flush with the side links. Admittedly it's a nitpick, but it is possible to give it more definition if you're determined and have time to spend. After dismantling the bracelet I used a fine Swiss file to slightly lower the side links. My file only cuts on the bottom and not the sides, so it doesn't damage the center link and maintains a crisp corner. After several filings and test fittings, I stone the link with a diemaker's oil stone and then brush with 400 grit paper on a sanding stick.

The completed finish is not like factory, as I don't have the polishing tools they use, but it looks ok. It's a very slight mod (maybe .2 or .3mm) that only a watch nerd could notice or appreciate, but it does give the SEL a more gen-like appearance.
Hey man, this is awesome! Why dont try upload tutorials or document your work on youtube. I bet the views are going to explode!

Reactions: rockdaytona

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
I would not complain, very interested in this mod for my CF with the full understanding that it won’t be like factory
It just takes too damn long. The bracelet needs to be disassembled and it’s too labor intensive to offer to customers.