• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Am I going mad? 116622 Noob 3135 super rep

Yacht-Monster

The entertainer previously known as Roughwatch
Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
Hi lads,

Question about the Noob 116622 3135 rep for those with the YM experience. As mentioned in my signature, this is the watch I'm after and have a few other variants of this model as it's my favourite watch. I already have the Noob version with the ETA movement and a Tom rep bezel, and since I've been on the hunt for the version with the 3135 clone there's been some crazy expensive offers on other websites that I've considered. My question is, besides the movement, is there a significant upgrade from the 316 to 904 steel, enough for me to be considering close to $700 for modded versions.

I literally check the sales section daily for this watch but I'm also thinking that there's not likely going to be a huge difference to the one I have now. Of course, I'll never stop hunting for it, but maybe I'm putting this watch on a pedestal since it's considered a super rep.

Thanks in advance.

Yacht-Monster

Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
Bro I just posted some comments on the 904 vs 316 question on another thread that conveys my opinion if you are interested

Post #617

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...lease-noob-skydweller?p=10457063#post10457063

Thanks, yeah I remember looking at that. I forgot to add in my post that is the extra I'm willing to pay worth it for the slightly more gen case with the 3135 version? I know you've got the ETA version too so I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks again.

Yacht-Monster

Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
Almost like asking is paying a premium for a second hand watch going to be worth it for the possibly 1% more gen feel. It would allow future frankening which is a huge bonus.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks, yeah I remember looking at that. I forgot to add in my post that is the extra I'm willing to pay worth it for the slightly more gen case with the 3135 version? I know you've got the ETA version too so I'm interested to hear your thoughts.
Thanks again.

The Noob ETA is a 2824 so the crown sits high like the 3135. I shunned the 3135s back in the day when the SA3135 was all that was available. Now you can swap it to a VR or VS if you have to.

I bought my two Noob Yachti's in May 2018 and the Rhodium dial one is still running great and has never had the back off. My wife's Rolesiim dial just died last week, I'll probably put a Selitta 200 in it.

These are great watches, from back when Noob was King. I have no regrets with the 2824 and wouldn't change a thing. Maybe add a better crystal at some point but that's pretty far down on the list.

If you want to Franken then you really have no choice but to make the switch. Sometimes we gotta have it all!

16422977115300.jpg

15785457248201.jpg

15722261022558.jpg

Yacht-Monster

Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
The Noob ETA is a 2824 so the crown sits high like the 3135. I shunned the 3135s back in the day when the SA3135 was all that was available. Now you can swap it to a VR or VS if you have to.

I bought my two Noob Yachti's in May 2018 and the Rhodium dial one is still running great and has never had the back off. My wife's Rolesiim dial just died last week, I'll probably put a Selitta 200 in it.

These are great watches, from back when Noob was King. I have no regrets with the 2824 and wouldn't change a thing. Maybe add a better crystal at some point but that's pretty far down on the list.

If you want to Franken then you really have no choice but to make the switch. Sometimes we gotta have it all!

16422977115300.jpg

15785457248201.jpg

15722261022558.jpg

Thanks, I didn't realise that the case was quite similar between the two. My rhodium ETA version is the same as yours, but with a Tomrep bezel insert. I think you're right about the potential frankening option. Given this is my favourite watch I'll need to keep hunting for a 3135 version or pay for a modded one that a seller has on a different forum.

Thanks again.

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks, I didn't realise that the case was quite similar between the two. My rhodium ETA version is the same as yours, but with a Tomrep bezel insert. I think you're right about the potential frankening option. Given this is my favourite watch I'll need to keep hunting for a 3135 version or pay for a modded one that a seller has on a different forum.

Thanks again.

You might look into just putting a 3135 into your 2824 case. I've converted a couple myself. The dial would need the feet clipped and re-glued or just source a 3135 dial. And if Frankening you would probably be getting gen hands anyway. I can tell you if a 3135 will fit in my Rolesium 2824 case in a week or so, tag me if I forget. I have some new VR3135s and I can pop one in for a test fit when I take the dead 2824 out.

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Absolute legend. Thanks mate, that'd be great.

Cheers.

So I test fitted a VR3135 to my Noob 2824 Yachti case and it fit like it was made for it. I have some 3135 Sub hands that will work fine and may just do this conversion. I'll have to crimp the post on the red ETA seconds hand - the 3135 hole size is .20 vs .25 on the ETAs. And of course I'll have to reposition the dial feet.

This test fit was like few projects I've ever done in that everything fit so well I didn't need to mod a thing.

Drop fit the movement in
jXj6R1.jpg

Stem hole is centered nicely
jXjyb8.jpg

Need to choose some shorter movement tabs and smaller head screws - no need for a movement holder
jXjlDc.jpg

jXj9UK.jpg

jXjBsI.jpg

jXjt94.jpg

Rotor clears the caseback
jXjCXi.jpg

Stem operates smoothly all positions, and screws down completely. New OOTB VR3135 running well in the case
jXjYTR.jpg

3135 dial fits nicely in the rehaut opening. At first I though it might be cutting off some of the minute tics but compared to the same dial in a BP 3135 case you can see the minute tics are short so its actually better in the Yachti case - no floating tics.

jXjOqL.jpg

jXjIDQ.jpg

So there it is - looks like this is a go!

As an aside, check out the TG on my other 2824 Yachti - bought in May 2018, never had the caseback off. Sometimes you get a cherry.
jXZici.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:

Yacht-Monster

Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
So I test fitted a VR3135 to my Noob 2824 Yachti case and it fit like it was made for it. I have some 3135 Sub hands that will work fine and may just do this conversion. I'll have to crimp the post on the red ETA seconds hand - the 3135 hole size is .20 vs .25 on the ETAs. And of course I'll have to reposition the dial feet.

This test fit was like few projects I've ever done in that everything fit so well I didn't need to mod a thing.

Drop fit the movement in
jXj6R1.jpg

Stem hole is centered nicely
jXjyb8.jpg

Need to choose some shorter movement tabs and smaller head screws - no need for a movement holder
jXjlDc.jpg

jXj9UK.jpg

jXjBsI.jpg

jXjt94.jpg

Rotor clears the caseback
jXjCXi.jpg

Stem operates smoothly all positions, and screws down completely. New OOTB VR3135 running well in the case
jXjYTR.jpg

3135 dial fits nicely in the rehaut opening. At first I though it might be cutting off some of the minute tics but compared to the same dial in a BP 3135 case you can see the minute tics are short so its actually better in the Yachti case - no floating tics.

jXjOqL.jpg

jXjIDQ.jpg

So there it is - looks like this is a go!

As an aside, check out the TG on my other 2824 Yachti - bought in May 2018, never had the caseback off. Sometimes you get a cherry.
jXZici.jpg

Cheers

Wow, thanks for trying this. If my search comes up short then this could be a very possible option with little modding.

Thanks again.

Sundek

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/3/18
Italy
@KJ2020
hello I read this interesting post from you i have a ym arf 40 with 2824 movement from what i understand i could fit inside a vs or vr 3135 without making any particular changes to the dial and the hands? and everything would fit perfectly, including the date, am I right?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
@KJ2020
hello I read this interesting post from you i have a ym arf 40 with 2824 movement from what i understand i could fit inside a vs or vr 3135 without making any particular changes to the dial and the hands? and everything would fit perfectly, including the date, am I right?

Can't say firsthand with an ARF case about the movement fitting but I'd say the chances are good since the 2824 and 3135 stem heights are very close.

Dial feet positions are not the same so they would need to be clipped and replaced. Also hands are not interchangeable. DW position is the same.

Sundek

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/3/18
Italy
Can't say firsthand with an ARF case about the movement fitting but I'd say the chances are good since the 2824 and 3135 stem heights are very close.

Dial feet positions are not the same so they would need to be clipped and replaced. Also hands are not interchangeable. DW position is the same.
hello thank you
in summary I can use the same dial but my watchmaker has to do this on the feet
for the data disc there are no problems
finally last thing I have to change the hands.
are those of the sub the same as those of the ym? the colored second hand instead needs to be modified? thank you

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
hello thank you
in summary I can use the same dial but my watchmaker has to do this on the feet
for the data disc there are no problems
finally last thing I have to change the hands.
are those of the sub the same as those of the ym? the colored second hand instead needs to be modified? thank you

3135 Sub and 3135 Yachti hands have the same size post holes. A second hand can be repainted but not many modders are going to want to take that on. You can look on Rafflestime for red or blue seconds hands.

I just repainted a second hand yesterday. Yours would have to be relumed also. Many aftermarket hands have green or medium blue lume (not Rolex blue-green aka Chromalight).

zIte4b.jpg

zItz0j.jpg

zIrJHL.jpg

zIrc48.jpg

zIthEc.jpg

zIlB5F.jpg

Last edited:

Sundek

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/3/18
Italy
3135 Sub and 3135 Yachti hands have the same size post holes. A second hand can be repainted but not many modders are going to want to take that on. You can look on Rafflestime for red or blue seconds hands.

I just repainted a second hand yesterday. Yours would have to be relumed also. Many aftermarket hands have green or medium blue lume (not Rolex blue-green aka Chromalight).

Thank u so much for the completeness of the information