• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Quality of 126613 LB vs 126618 LB from EWF and BP

siemaneczko

Looking Around
11/1/22
Hey guys,
it's my first post, but I did give this forum a long read. My dads 65 is coming up, and I have always jokingly said for his 65 I'll buy him a rolex. Well, the time has came and turns out Im not really in a place in life to buy a gen rolex right now, so I decided to get him a nice rep with engravement. What Im looking for is submariner that's either golden or gold-ss, considering I do have a low budget (I know I should be able to give more, but folks - Im trying here) of 300usd - after selection it came down to 4 watches:
126613 LB SS/YG - EWF or BPmaker
or
116618 LB YG - BPmaker or EWF
Please help me to pick which one of these is closest to the gen.
Thank you

BlueLineFarmer

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/21
For $300 you won't find something close to a gen, best option is VSF for much higher price.

Marky101

Known Member
3/5/21
For $300 you won't find something close to a gen, best option is VSF for much higher price.

Not if he wants full gold or tone. VSF would be the worst choice for either unless he’s getting it replated before gifting it to his father.

All_Heart

Known Member
26/8/21
EWF has good engravings but stay away from their a3235 or their 7750 movements or replace them with VR3235 or VR3135.

But if you are unble to stretch beyond $300, best value IMHO is to get a PT5000 movement, a sub datewheel overlay and a sub case kit and just build your own to have a reliable movement.

There are noob v10 submariner case kits that can impress a noobie with its external appearance and PT5000 movements are plenty online. Just take that to a local (competent) watch maker to put together and your dad will have a watch that will work for years.

Reactions: siemaneczko

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
A ‘gold’ plated rep needs a lot of care otherwise the plating will turn brown / rub off or both. They can look tatty and nasty very quickly. If it’s a present for your dad then get him something in steel only - it will still look good in a few years.

You haven’t said if you’ll tell him it’s a fake. You should tell him it’s a fake.

rolex4me

often nice, sometimes evil😜
Supporter
10/4/16
Ein "vergoldeter" Vertreter benötigt viel Pflege, sonst wird die Beschichtung braun / abgefärbt oder beides. Sie können sehr schnell schäbig und böse aussehen. Wenn es ein Geschenk für deinen Vater ist, dann hol ihm etwas nur aus Stahl - es wird in ein paar Jahren immer noch gut aussehen.
Du hast nicht gesagt, ob du ihm sagst, dass es eine Fälschung
ist. Du solltest ihm sagen, dass es eine Fälschung ist.
+1

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
Ein "vergoldeter" Vertreter benötigt viel Pflege, sonst wird die Beschichtung braun / abgefärbt oder beides. Sie können sehr schnell schäbig und böse aussehen. Wenn es ein Geschenk für deinen Vater ist, dann hol ihm etwas nur aus Stahl - es wird in ein paar Jahren immer noch gut aussehen.
Du hast nicht gesagt, ob du ihm sagst, dass es eine Fälschung
ist. Du solltest ihm sagen, dass es eine Fälschung ist.
+1

Liebe Stefan
this is an English speaking forum, so we'd appreciate if you could avoid posting in German. Thanks

rolex4me

Supporter
10/4/16
sorry forgot to translate it

rolex4me

Supporter
10/4/16
Liebe Stefan
this is an English speaking forum, so we'd appreciate if you could avoid posting in German. Thanks
sorry, forget to translate it

siemaneczko

Looking Around
11/1/22
Well, if I could afford more - trust me, I would pay it. Hell, if I could afford gen we wouldnt even have this conversation. Also, Im asking which one is closest, not about overall quality.

EWF has good engravings but stay away from their a3235 or their 7750 movements or replace them with VR3235 or VR3135.

But if you are unble to stretch beyond $300, best value IMHO is to get a PT5000 movement, a sub datewheel overlay and a sub case kit and just build your own to have a reliable movement.

There are noob v10 submariner case kits that can impress a noobie with its external appearance and PT5000 movements are plenty online. Just take that to a local (competent) watch maker to put together and your dad will have a watch that will work for years.

Thank you! That is the opinion that interests me, so you say EWF would be a better pick than BP? Unfortunately tinkering with the watch is a no-go, I lack manual skills and where I come from its not that easy to find a good watchsmith :(, and lastly even assuming I could afford it - I'd rather invest it into better tier watch.

A ‘gold’ plated rep needs a lot of care otherwise the plating will turn brown / rub off or both. They can look tatty and nasty very quickly. If it’s a present for your dad then get him something in steel only - it will still look good in a few years.

You haven’t said if you’ll tell him it’s a fake. You should tell him it’s a fake.
This turns me to SS+YG more, so thank you for direction. As for steel, the whole idea is that I always said "a golden rolex". This kinda also refers to your last part, of course he will know its fake - he is not only my father but my closest friend, he is well aware of how Im doing financially. The plan is to give him a rep as a kind of running joke that one day he will get a rolex - its kind of "our thing", treat it as a symbol :).

Reactions: BlueLineFarmer