• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Mysteries of athaya702 vs gen crown

Marshal77

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/8/21
jCIS0t.jpg

jCIFo5.jpg

Why the crown is not screwing all the way in ? This is all original HR 5517 case, HR crown and HR tube. (Altough I had to order new tube from HR and install it, since I broke old one) I think originally crown went in more , but I am not sure.

I even ordered Athaya 702 crown, to fix this, since folks here (and HR himself) said case will take Gen 702. I dont know if Athaya702 is same as gen spec, but heck, I can not screw Athaya 702 crown in, it simply just does not screw in with HR tube.

And on a sidenote, according my studies, HR cases will not take athaya crown tube, hole for tube in the case is way too big for Athaya tube:

HR crown tube, measured with caliber on top of the threads : inner dia 3.33mm / outer dia 4.57 mm
Athaya 702 crown tube, measured with caliber on top of the threads : inner dia 2.85mm / outer dia 4.92 mm

Any answers are greatly appreciated, these mysteries will not seem to unravel to me even how much I study, there seems to be so much different opinons.

EDIT : Can it be that the crown is colliding with crown guards?

Last edited:

Marshal77

31/8/21
I just checked, crown is not bumping into crown guards. theres plenty of space.

flex

11/6/08
Vintage 702 case tube is not meant to be screwed all the way in.

Marshal77

31/8/21
Vintage 702 case tube is not meant to be screwed all the way in.
I dont really care because it seems I can not use any other tube in this HR case than HR tube. Even if I could use 702, is the crown on that supposed to be that far away, so that we can see several threads of the tube when crown is screwed in?

Last edited:

Marshal77

31/8/21
Did you replace your tube with a 7020 tube?
No, theres no way I can use any other tube in this HR case than HR tube. The hole in the case for tube is way too big for anything else.

Marshal77

31/8/21
Did you replace your tube with a 7020 tube?
As I wrote, it seems theres no way I can use any other tube in this HR case than HR tube. The hole in the case for tube is way too big for anything else.

I did order 7020 tube and crown but 7020 seems simply too small. way too small.

Mr Seamaster

Renowned Member
27/4/12
You could also check the crowns rubber o-ring. Might be the wrong size or it might not fit as it should.

I‘d take the o-ring out and give it another try to screw it down.

If that shouldn’t help it’s most likely the tube which isn’t sitting tight enough to the case.

Even gen/ gen spec ’703 tubes are sometimes not lining up properly with the case.

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
You should be able to screw a 702 crown down fairly tight- all of mine have fit correctly. A pic of the tube would help- if it's smooth at the top like a 7020, maybe you could file it down some. Best to remove the two inside the tube gaskets first. Also, a flat gasket in the crown might help.

Marshal77

31/8/21
You should be able to screw a 702 crown down fairly tight- all of mine have fit correctly.
Which tube you refer to ?

If its HR tube, according to my studies, you can not screw Athaya 702 crown in HR case tube, because tube diameter difference between HR/Athaya is like 0.35mm, 702 crown just spins there loosely. This is what I experienced when I tried 702 crown on to HR tube.

Here again,
HR crown tube, measured with caliber on top of the threads : inside case dia 3.33mm / outside case dia 4.57 mm
Athaya 702 crown tube, measured with caliber on top of the threads : inside case dia 2.85mm / outside case dia 4.92 mm

if it's smooth at the top like a 7020, maybe you could file it down some.
I try to get photo for you, but its flat. This is exacty what I have thought also, filing it down. But for a such small issue, I dont know if its worth it. Currently it feels like the crown gasket is too thick.The whole tube is tightened extremely tight with small amount of thread locker.

Last edited:

Mr Seamaster

Renowned Member
27/4/12
Currently it feels like the crown gasket is too thick.The whole tube is tightened extremely tight with small amount of thread locker.

That’s what I said a few posts above.

Just for clarification:
An Athaya 702 crown doenst fit the (assumed) 7030 tube which is mounted to your case now.

Not even sure if the current 7030 tube is gen spec or not, don’t think so, but doesn’t matter, as a 702 doesn’t fit.

Try it with the crowns o-ring first but I guess you have a 7030 tube on your case and you're trying to put a rep 702 crown on it. That just doesn't work. Period.

You need to use the athaya tube for the athaya crown, otherwise it doesn't fit as it should.
You can close the tubes hole in the case and redrill/retap the case or go with the standard crown which was mounted originally.

I wouldn't recommend filing down the tube as it might cause problems with water resistance.

Last edited:

Marshal77

31/8/21
That’s what I said a few posts above.

Just for clarification:
An Athaya 702 crown doenst fit the (assumed) 7030 tube which is mounted to your case now.

Not even sure if the current 7030 tube is gen spec or not, don’t think so, but doesn’t matter, as a 702 doesn’t fit.

Try it with the crowns o-ring first but I guess you have a 7030 tube on your case and you're trying to put a rep 702 crown on it. That just doesn't work. Period.

You need to use the athaya tube for the athaya crown, otherwise it doesn't fit as it should.
You can close the tubes hole in the case and redrill/retap the case or go with the standard crown which was mounted originally.

I wouldn't recommend filing down the tube as it might cause problems with water resistance.
OK, so this all could start to make sense. If 7030 tube is bigger than 7020, that probably has been the issue all along : I Should have gone with 7030 in the first place, not 7020.

Reasons I went with 7020 in the first place,
*HR crown&tube do not assure me, operation is not smooth
*I read subs (5513) are compatible with 7020
*Athaya seems to have only 7020 in stock

So maybe HR cases are built with 7030 tube specs.

Now I just need to source rep 703 crown...any maybe tube.

Last edited:

Marshal77

31/8/21
Mystery is about to unravel, HR probably uses,

Old Style Tube (Oyster 3.35mm)​

C8373 (cousins uk ID)

This tube has 4.35mm threads for crown side. Do you know what kind of crown fits to 4.35mm tube threads?

atnova

Looking Around
19/7/22
OK, so this all could start to make sense. If 7030 tube is bigger than 7020, that probably has been the issue all along : I Should have gone with 7030 in the first place, not 7020.

Reasons I went with 7020 in the first place,
*HR crown&tube do not assure me, operation is not smooth
*I read subs (5513) are compatible with 7020
*Athaya seems to have only 7020 in stock

So maybe HR cases are built with 7030 tube specs.

Now I just need to source rep 703 crown...any maybe tube.
Hi Marshal77,

Sorry for jumping in, but I am about to do the HR 5517 build with Athaya 702 crown and tube. Is this a straight unscrew and screw in the new Athaya tube? Or do I need to retap the hole please?

Thank you in advance!