• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

QC Crystal alignment on VSF 116610

Pene75

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/10/21
Hi guys I would like your opinion on my QC.
Is it a RL motive for you or am I too much of a perfectionist?
Thanks

Pene75

11/10/21
There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. So I'd say you should reject it, get a refund, and put the money towards a gen.

Just checked yesterday, there is no stock in the AD

Pene75

11/10/21
Please, stop using alignment tools or guides if you don’t have a straight on pic (which is almost impossible to have).

Unless I'm wrong and the image is not distorted it's just a matter of mathematics.
As far as I know the crystal must be parallel to the frame.
So everything that is parallel to one must be parallel to the other.

I asked for more pictures
I'll probably GL it anyway

Last edited:

didjital7

Renowned Member
30/1/21
I'm not looking at the lines he put on the pic. I also know how perspective works. This watch clearly has alignment issues between indices, cyclops, and dial text. It is not a camera lense or perspective problem. Whether to gl or not is up to the purchaser, I'm just pointing out facts.

byseconds

4/11/21
Crystal and six taco are misaligned, Crystal is able to put in the correct positión, but six taco is a real problem.

You should ask for another one.

Reactions: Pene75

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Hi guys I would like your opinion on my QC.
Is it a RL motive for you or am I too much of a perfectionist?
jplKiQ.jpg
jplhCL.jpg

Thanks

TDs often show slightly different angles in QC pics, sometimes by design. Jtime in particular regularly shows (usually only one) close to perfect head on pic, which results in the date window frame appearing left justified relative to the cyclops. Why? Because those two elements are right of center view and some parallax exists.

Then the rest of the pics will show the date window centered in the cyclops, which can occur only by tilting the right side of the watch closer to the camera. Now the parallax happens to elements toward the left and the insert triangle appears to move left of the 60 minute tic, the 6 marker can look shifted from the nearby rehaut serial number, etc.

Here are a couple GIFs that demonstrate these subtle changes. Take note of things like date window and cyclops relationship, bezel triangle apparent position, 6 marker apparent shift, CG reflections, etc.

jpPpSc.gif

jpP3c2.gif

In the blue insert GIF, note the bottom ledge of the cyclops. It looks crooked in one pic and straight in another. This shows how angle of view can change perspective. BTW this crystal WAS crooked in this pic and has since been corrected.

In the black insert GIF, the cyclops edges look parallel to the date window edges from both angles. In the OPs pics, the bottom ledge of the cyclops looks (slightly) crooked in both pics.

My conclusion: OP's crystal is rotated about 2° clockwise from perfect. It's visible to me from both pics, and is more pronounced in the straight on pic with date of 4. Whether it's enough to RL will have to be a personal choice.

I accepted the blue insert watch with the crystal as you see it, knowing it was cooked and it bugged me enough to eventually change it.

I change a lot of crystals and it's probably a curse but I can see a very slight flaw in a cyclops and date window alignment.

Even when doing a temporary test fit with different thickness crystals (upper number) and different height gaskets (lower number) to assess date mag, I make sure the alignment is correct. Nearly perfect alignment is achievable, assuming the cyclops edges are parallel.

This is a stock CF Pepsi on the left side being refitted with a gen. Looking for the best date mag. 1.8 crystal 2.85 gasket was the winner.

jpTCqJ.jpg

jpTPXP.jpg

jpTpZo.jpg

jpTQsk.jpg

Last edited:

krubs

28/6/17
Crystal and six taco are misaligned, Crystal is able to put in the correct positión, but six taco is a real problem.

You should ask for another one.

Do people do this with gens? Lmfao. Stop drawing lines on rep watches based on pictures that aren't even straight

Reactions: WatchSmith.US

schlonz

Renowned Member
Supporter
1/5/16
I wouldn't accept a watch with those nasty red lines all over it
man, one can hardly read the time with those lines covering crystal, dial and bezel
you may even overlook a rehaut detachement in your QC because you are so overwhelmed by and focused on these lines
worst of all, those lines are not parallel to the dial markers, crystal, bezel
no way one should accept a watch like that

Reactions: Tucker