• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VSF Submariner Reliability / Longevity

CsViking

Known Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
28/11/21
A 200 dollars seiko last for 50 years what we say now?? That these tryhard watches will fail in months my friend has rep omega 90 dollars for 11 years everyday watch and doesn’t fail… and the vsf failed… ok maybe you jf had something wrong I don’t know and I don’t know exactly how strong it’s vsf but I had it for 8 months was like new no angle differents on link of the bracelet no anything I don’t know it’s just funny if you can buy a replica with 90 dollars and you can keep it good for 11 years and also you can buy a Casio for 30 dollars and it holds pretty well and you 600 dollars vsf will fail and as I said this example from the 15 years old it’s only good I see a new insert after 9 months of hard use that’s the best new we can have this example can’t show us something for failing becouse we don’t know the use … even if the 15 y old kid broke the watch after 5 minutes doesn’t tell me anything but this insert tells me we have good news

CsViking

Known Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
28/11/21
OK. But I have first hand experience here. In my experience, the bracelet may fail. You can write a book on the matter if you desire.
First hand experience is your jf not the child yes you only know what use you’ve done to your watch why it fails and where exactly it fails is it broke? Or something left some link bars??? Something ? This is something we can listen not the kid

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
it looks like a situation that I would like to describe as:

"No matter how unambiguous a statistic is, it says nothing for the individual case."

Non-smokers die of lung cancer, smokers live to be 100 years old.

GEN or Superreps break by themselves, AAA watches last forever;)

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20
First hand experience is your jf not the child yes you only know what use you’ve done to your watch why it fails and where exactly it fails is it broke? Or something left some link bars??? Something ? This is something we can listen not the kid

Literally fell off my wrist dude, I wish i had a pic but I don't.. I have pics of the watch though..

gen 116, jf 16

CsViking

Known Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
28/11/21
That’s bad becouse it’s seems that you take care of them they look good in condition:/ where exactly it fails?

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20
That’s bad becouse it’s seems that you take care of them they look good in condition:/ where exactly it fails?

It failed right at the arrow. I swear I was doing nothing but wearing it, I think I put my hand in my pocket and it failed somewhere along the way.

RainbowNato

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/11/21
I think the way I would like to phrase this is in two separate questions if I may.

First being, given all samples of VSF (or whatever factory/brand you want to look at), what is the probability of getting an outlier-like failure. So things like pins falling out/breaking with little agitation, bezels falling off, pearls falling out, movement dying on arrival, etc. Good QC from gen brands will reduce this probability significantly. Rep factories will have higher rates of course.

Second question is, if we eliminate these straight out of the factory bad QC related failures, i.e. within acceptable parameters, no obvious faulty parts that should've been rejected. Then what is the probability of these failing with daily/frequent use. I'm not that experienced here, so I don't have long term stories. But I would guess better QC from gen brands will also shift this average higher with smaller variance.

I'm more curious about the second question, for people that got a solid rep fresh out of the box, serviced the movement asap, how did it last?

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20
There have been VSF's delivered with faulty bezels and even failed movements however reports are very few. Compared to CF there are many more reports of unsatisfactory loose or tight bezels for example. Truth is, they are not even 18months on the market yet and there are very few reports of failings. Give it some more time for more data to come through.

To answer Q2.. I think if you wear it gently you should get good longevity from it. provided you give it a good once over when you get it (tighten the case back, grease the O ring washers, threadlock the screws), these should be fairly robust. But I would not go to the gym with it, or base jumping or whatever extreme shit you are into, you may just bust a link. And don't drop it, they don't like that either.

Last edited:

Saint888

Known Member
12/5/16
Southeast Asia
Hello chaps - my first post here. I’m fairly new to the rep world and really looking forward to the delivery of my VSF 126610LV, and CF 4130 Daytona 126500 and GMF Datejust 36.

As I’m new to this stuff, I’m genuinely bothered that these will fall apart or stop working within the first 6-12 months. Is this a reasonable worry or are these pretty reliable?

Cheers guys - great forum by the way, although becoming an expensive interest ????

I have VSF 126610LV, have been wearing it for a year, almost everyday wearing in office. No problem with anything except the movement. After servicing the lever problem, change one of the gear and cleaning-oiling, then the watch running smoothly.

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
My friend was sailing and his hand was on the side of his boat. The bracelet snapped and his 10 year old gen 1675 GMT went overboard never to be seen again.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Anecdotally, the first rep I ever 'owned' was a Yachtmaster my brother bought back from Tenerife. I stole it and wore it to school - ballin the whole day looking like a complete twat with its ticky seconds hand.

I had cricket practice in the afternoon and it got hit by the ball. The outcome was as embarrassing as it was predictable. The bracelet broke, the glass broke and all the hands fell off, then the watch fell off and broke even more. I hated the kid who was bowling so I told my brother he broke it - he beat the shit out of that kid. I still feel kind of bad about that. My brother's nickname was 'Savage'.

That rep didn't last a day on the wrist of a 13-year-old. So I'd decide based on well it lasts on the wrist of a forum member, not some ballin teen.

Snil

Certified
18/8/20
Nordic
I bought a VSF 116610LN Submariner back in fall 2020 and it has been my most used watch since then. It did receive a service recently but it was just preventitive and nothing was wrong with it.
Feels as solid as the day I got it, it is just scratched up

thenut

Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Germany
Anecdotally, the first rep I ever 'owned' was a Yachtmaster my brother bought back from Tenerife. I stole it and wore it to school - ballin the whole day looking like a complete twat with its ticky seconds hand.

I had cricket practice in the afternoon and it got hit by the ball. The outcome was as embarrassing as it was predictable. The bracelet broke, the glass broke and all the hands fell off, then the watch fell off and broke even more. I hated the kid who was bowling so I told my brother he broke it - he beat the shit out of that kid. I still feel kind of bad about that. My brother's nickname was 'Savage'.

That rep didn't last a day on the wrist of a 13-year-old. So I'd decide based on well it lasts on the wrist of a forum member, not some ballin teen.

Great story, thx for that!!

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16

I had the same watch which was hit by machinegun fire, dynamite explosion, a pit bull attack, squeezed by a giant boa, and had to be retrieved by underwater robot from a 3000m depth and it still works perfectly. Just proves the manufacturer's inconsistencies.

Reactions: muiramas

NFleischer

I'm Pretty Popular
9/12/08
I've had reps that work great for more than 12 years, and some that came DOA. A matter of luck mostly. In general Gens will be more reliable IMO, but I've had Gens (Radiomir) that were nothing but trouble. The good news, many problems can be fixed. You need a good rep friendly watch smith.

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20
what’s the clasp code on your watch?
I am ordering one through a TD but my QC pics have an odd clasp code

Dunno, it's not mine and its not here but it was the same as the rest I'm sure, as there was nothing different about it when it came new, it was the same as my own.