• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rich Folks Wear Rep Watches to Fool The Criminals in Los Angeles

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
Day-Date 40mm 228206 904L Arabic GMF

Oh wow! I hope you were OK. May I ask what you were wearing at the time?

Hope every one stay safe. During Covid I have heard a lot of horror stories in London and personally had warned people on the street or at venues, one Aquanaut and one solid gold GMT.

A friend 's friend who lives in Chelsea got attacked (as he fought back) and ended up in the hospital. The robbers were actually running away from a previous robbery when bumping into him minutes after.

Last edited:

kettlekid007

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
28/10/21
For good measure. I’ve had two reps stolen at knifepoint one in Knightsbridge the other in Wembley after an England game. Very brazen on both occasions and obviously handed over without objection. My gens live in the safe which is a shame but necessary

Sadly I have experienced this also, but likewise, luckily it was with a rep. Knife culture is rife, as is watch culture and unfortunately many in London are interested in both. I very rarely wear my gens also, it’s such a shame.

Sent from the RWI App

Alan Bourdillion Traherne

Renowned Member
6/3/21
CONUS
I was at Harrods Knightsbridge a few years ago. Seemed like a nice enough place at the time. But then it was some years ago. I grew up in LA and saw it go from a nice place with nice open people to a dump with a bunch of hateful people. I get back time to time on business and yep, its still a shithole.

lceniza

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
21/4/21
California
For good measure. I’ve had two reps stolen at knifepoint one in Knightsbridge the other in Wembley after an England game. Very brazen on both occasions and obviously handed over without objection. My gens live in the safe which is a shame but necessary

That's crazy. Sorry to hear that.

haasvf5

Horology Curious
9/11/21
Disagree. Lived in LA all my life. There are good areas and bad areas.

A friend got robbed of his royal oak while dining in Beverly hills. The good areas have become the bad areas unfortunately.

jsbaker88

Known Member
3/8/15
Oh wow! I hope you were OK. May I ask what you were wearing at the time?

Patek 5711 (old MKF I think) and AP 15400. I was fine, little shaken but count myself lucky as no physical harm which I doubt isn’t the case for all

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Patek 5711 (old MKF I think) and AP 15400. I was fine, little shaken but count myself lucky as no physical harm which I doubt isn’t the case for all

Sorry to hear that.

I mean this in the most respectful way but we’re you showing the watches off to people at the game (ie talking about them and holding them out to show people) ?

I wear watches to games and have never heard of anyone being mugged and you say it’s happened to you twice, so trying to understand how to avoid it happening to me (ie we need to do the exact opposite to what you do/did).

Ps. What team(s) where you watching...might have to avoid that crowd. Ha

jsbaker88

Known Member
3/8/15
Sorry to hear that.

I mean this in the most respectful way but we’re you showing the watches off to people at the game (ie talking about them and holding them out to show people) ?

No problem and certainly not (besides I don’t pretend to anyone that my reps are gens).

I would however say on both occasions it was late and there are similarities in that they tried to strike up conversations both times which I did my best not to entertain without p***ing anyone off. At Wembley it was as I was waiting outside an off-licence for my friends who were buying cigarettes and Knightsbridge was when walking towards Sloane Square after a night out.

I have heard some horror stories particularly when with a woman with a luxury branded bag but I think in general if it’s daylight and you’re on main thoroughfares you’ll most likely be fine.

Reactions: mech500

kettlekid007

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
28/10/21
I was at Harrods Knightsbridge a few years ago. Seemed like a nice enough place at the time. But then it was some years ago. I grew up in LA and saw it go from a nice place with nice open people to a dump with a bunch of hateful people. I get back time to time on business and yep, its still a shithole.

Knightsbridge is a lovely area, extremely expensive to live in, but that is why it is targeted. Also, Harrods attracts people from all walks of life.

Sent from the RWI App

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
London has become a real nasty place for watches over the last two years. It’s not helped by recent popularity, so to that end I wish the whole YouTube ‘watch fam’ would just piss off - from Chrono 24 shill Bark and Jack to rambling alcoholic Watch Gringa and everyone in between.

Its also not helped by that Cressida Dick woman who is more interested in holding onto her job rather than actually doing it, and a stretched police force who increasingly can’t manage anything more than sending a letter to victims saying they ‘have decided not to investigate your matter further.’

It sucks. During the day and in a group of mates you’re safe. But alone and at night your a bit of a mark these days.

Claiming against watch insurance for a stolen fake raises an interesting challenge which the insurance companies are going to have to respond to.

cobar75

Patron Saint of Watches
I may be ignorant, but isn’t putting this “illegal practice” in The Times a bit foolish? I mean when I buy a rep I have to pay with PP and not mention anything regarding the watch. Hell, I bought a train photo to have the pleasure of posting here for cripes sake! Hahahahaha

Reactions: Natas78

Vineetd23

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
13/12/21
Los Angeles, CA
The only folks shitting on LA with regularity (LOL) is your growing homeless, drug addled, and criminal, population. And they're doing it everywhere. Daily.

Every big city has good and bad, problems with homelessness, crime, etc… you have to be smart and aware of your surroundings. At least LA still has great weather, beautiful beaches, hour from snowy mountains, world class food scene, great diversity, revitalized downtown, tons of opportunities to make real money, Dodgers, Lakers, Rams, Bruins, Trojans for sports fans, I could go on …

Sent from my iPhone

Reactions: lceniza

Vineetd23

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
13/12/21
Los Angeles, CA
London has become a real nasty place for watches over the last two years. It’s not helped by recent popularity, so to that end I wish the whole YouTube ‘watch fam’ would just piss off - from Chrono 24 shill Bark and Jack to rambling alcoholic Watch Gringa and everyone in between.

Its also not helped by that Cressida Dick woman who is more interested in holding onto her job rather than actually doing it, and a stretched police force who increasingly can’t manage anything more than sending a letter to victims saying they ‘have decided not to investigate your matter further.’

It sucks. During the day and in a group of mates you’re safe. But alone and at night your a bit of a mark these days.

Claiming against watch insurance for a stolen fake raises an interesting challenge which the insurance companies are going to have to respond to.

In order to get a watch insured, as with other jewelry, you have to provide the insurance company with appraisals, purchase receipts, serial numbers, etc… I guess those could ne forged for a rep, but wouldn’t be easy.

Sent from my iPhone

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
In order to get a watch insured, as with other jewelry, you have to provide the insurance company with appraisals, purchase receipts, serial numbers, etc… I guess those could ne forged for a rep, but wouldn’t be easy.

Sent from my iPhone

I know that. I mean fraudulent claims where the owner has a gen in the safe, but who makes a claim when they are mugged for their fake. They’ll have a police report and maybe cctv to make the claim with.

BlueLineFarmer

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/21
I know that. I mean fraudulent claims where the owner has a gen in the safe, but who makes a claim when they are mugged for their fake. They’ll have a police report and maybe cctv to make the claim with.

What happens if somebody is robbed of rep watch and claims it is a gen and the thief is caught.

In the USA the crime charged for theft is based on the $ value of what is stolen. If the rep watch stolen is a POS of DHGate rep watch and the owner claims it is a gen and the thief is caught is the thief charged with stealing a gen Rolex.