• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Marlon Brando 1675

matty1938

Supporter
Certified
16/5/16
Merry Christmas and new year guys. Wondering if anyone here has re created the 1675 marlon Brando gmt without the bezel etc? Love the understated look thinking about doing it myself. Any tips for the guys that have done it would be amazing.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Seasons Greetings to you too!
Yeah, not too tricky... take the bezel off a 1675 rep. :) And get a rubber waffle pattern strap. And, er, that's about it. Obvs it's possible to go way further with vintagizing the watch, inscribing the caseback with the owner's name just like the original, etc. It depends how far down the repro/modding hole you want to dive!

Here’s one I just made in 5 minutes using a project drawer stock cartel GMT and a rubber strap in the right sort of pattern from cheapestnatostraps…

72e2c73b97e573f2d942a407404bfada.jpg

4ab0e5919fe14bb825c45e1d4cf681e0.jpg

Last edited:

matty1938

Supporter
Certified
16/5/16
Seasons Greetings to you too!
Yeah, not too tricky... take the bezel off a 1675 rep. :) And get a rubber waffle pattern strap. And, er, that's about it. Obvs it's possible to go way further with vintagizing the watch, inscribing the caseback with the owner's name just like the original, etc. It depends how far down the repro/modding hole you want to dive!

Here’s one I just made in 5 minutes using a project drawer stock cartel GMT and a rubber strap in the right sort of pattern from cheapestnatostraps…

72e2c73b97e573f2d942a407404bfada.jpg

4ab0e5919fe14bb825c45e1d4cf681e0.jpg

Awesome man!!! How easy is it to get the bezel off and where did you get that strap, enjoy that a lot

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Awesome man!!! How easy is it to get the bezel off and where did you get that strap, enjoy that a lot
The bezel pops off the standard JKF 1675 really easily. Just use any appropriate tool (caseback opening knife, or bog standard butter knife) to lever it off, protecting the case with a bit of tape if necessary.

The crystal retaining ring is inclined to pop off with the bezel (and, quite often, the crystal too) - but it's just a case of separating the parts and putting the crystal and retaining ring on without the bezel.

There's a variety of 1675 GMT models available - just check the TD sites and/or ask your preferred TD. Note that the dial isn't great on the standard JKF/BP (so-called "cartel") - it has lume plots that are cut-out shapes, rather than painted. These can be removed and the dial relumed, or a better dial sourced. And of course there's various options for a better GMT build, a number of which are discussed in my GMT build thread here: https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/vintage-watches/8504111-project-rwi-raffle-win-a-1675-build

The vintage rubber dive strap is from CheapestNatoStraps.com. They have a range of options, and they offer one (not the one on my watch, which I don't see on the site now) called the "Marlon Band-O": https://www.cheapestnatostraps.com/collections/tropic-watch-straps-and-rubber-watch-bands

Hehe - I just checked my watch drawer and discovered I have the Marlon Band-O and the Curved End Tropic strap as well... I'd completely forgotten I ordered them lol.

Happy New Year!

Reactions: KJ2020