• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GMF V5 GMT Master II 126715CHNR with VR3186

NotSoSmart

Horology Curious
29/11/20
Hello fellow rep friends,

I was always interested in Rolex GMT Master II series and I have always loved full gold watches. As you can guess, my favourite GMT Master II watch is 126715CHNR.

As I was scrolling down the TrustyTime site, I stumbled upon relatively new realise (23.11.2021.) - V5 GMF Master II 126715CHNR with VR3186 movement.

Have not seen and couldn't find topic about this realise, so I wanted to make a topic, so we can discuss the things GMF improved.

What do you think about this pice in general?

If I am not wrong, GMF has the best rosegold color? If this is really VR3186, it should be the best GMT movement, right?

To me this one seems to be a solid realise. What are your comments?

Thanks for your time,
Cheers!

https://trustytimewatch.io/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_5&products_id=24047

NotSoSmart

Horology Curious
29/11/20
p.s. I am well aware of weight difference. But does anyone know, what is weight of genuine GMT Master II 126715CHNR vs weight of GMF rep?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Ballpark gen weight will be about 210 - 220 grams. Rep will be about 150 - 155.

This offering from GMF looks pretty good to me, they have finally made it with a VR movement. You should read up on properly caring for rep gold. Owning it can be a pleasure or a disappointment depending on your care of if to some degree.

NotSoSmart

Horology Curious
29/11/20
Thank you for your answer KJ2020!

I have read your posts about rep gold treatment, regarding protective phone stickers. I will take good care of it!

Reactions: KJ2020

NotSoSmart

Horology Curious
29/11/20
Do you guys think that brown part of insert is too dark or is it just lighting?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Do you guys think that brown part of insert is too dark or is it just lighting?

The brown is not too dark. I had one on hand from a GMF TT. The inserts will be identical.

jQWvfK.jpg

thestefster

Patron
9/6/11
Extra wrap vs standard... which is the better choice here? Is the extra cash worth it???

NotSoSmart

Horology Curious
29/11/20
Extra wrap vs standard... which is the better choice here? Is the extra cash worth it???

It says that "extra wrap" is "15-20 mils" thick. Does anyone know how thick is plating on the standard one? Does the thickness effect the color of rose gold?

Somehow, I feel like there is not much difference. Doubt that "the extra wrap" is any more scratch resistant than the standard one... Anyone have experiance with both wraped and plated watches?

Giannos7

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/11/20
It says that "extra wrap" is "15-20 mils" thick. Does anyone know how thick is plating on the standard one? Does the thickness effect the color of rose gold?

Somehow, I feel like there is not much difference. Doubt that "the extra wrap" is any more scratch resistant than the standard one... Anyone have experiance with both wraped and plated watches?

The website says 5mils. The question is do they really have an extra 10mils of thickness or is it just a gimmick.

Reactions: NotSoSmart

repreg123

7/8/19
There is 0 gold in the plating so fuck paying more for a thicker coating. Get the cheapest one, if it gets scratched up and bothers u then u get it plated with actual gold.