• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

BP Explorer 214270 - first rep watch review

auteur

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
Certified
27/8/17
Eastern US
Long time listener, first time caller. Since this is my first rep watch, I wanted to post my initial impressions of the BP Factory Explorer 214270 as compared to a gen 214270.

I picked up this BP 214270 here on RWI, and this watch looks amazing based on visual impression alone (I had a gen 214270 a few years ago, sold for some medical expenses unfortunately, so I'll be doing this comparison by memory). I'll be examining the looks and feel of the watch compared to gen.

TLDRs:
• Fantastic dial and hands, bad lume.
• Accuracy is spot on.
• Bracelet links feel silky smooth, edges are super sharp.
• Fantastic clasp.
• Rotor noise/and noticeable rotor movement.
• Screwing/unscrewing the crown feels rough.
• Crown doesn't "pop out" immediately after unscrewing.
• Crown ghost date crown position.
• Winding feels a little "sand in the gears-y."
• Screwing down the crown sounds like it's still winding the watch.

DIAL
Inky black and super smooth polished indices and numerals. The rehaut engraving looks aligned to my eye. The sapphire crystal sits at the correct height and is a total fingerprint magnet, which is *very* true to gen.
Impression: 100% of gen

HANDS
Highly polished just like gen, and the sweep is smooth at 8 beats per second just like gen (although this is the easiest part to replicate since every 2824 clone ticks at 8bps too). Hands are highly polished and only when using my loupe can I see any edge imperfections.
Impression: 95% of gen

LUME
The lime isn't filled all the way on the dial markers, although it is on the hands. The lume intensity is pitiful, as has been described in other reviews of the BP Explorer. At least the numerals aren't overfilled?
Impression: 30-40% of gen

CROWN
The crown feels *smaller* somehow. It's harder to manipulate than a gen. Screwing in it takes a bit more effort to catch before screwing down, but screw-down it doesn't feel gritty. It does sound like it's still winding the watch as it's being screwed in. My old gen's crown aligned with the two dots facing forward, this aligns at about a 45% angle, but I've heard that most gen model crowns don't align either.
Impression: 80% of gen

MOVEMENT
The movement is the heart of the watch, and naturally this is the part that diverges most severely from the genuine 3132 caliber. The asian 2824 has the ghost date position, and winds fairly smoothly - I'd say it's not as gritty-feeling as some ETA 2824-2/SW-200 movements I've wound, but nowhere near as buttery smooth as a gen 3132 or even an ETA 2892.

The rotor noise is also significant, much louder than the dead-silent 3132 or any 2824s I've owned which tend to be both silent and well balanced. When moving the watch around you can definitely feel the rotor movement. Interestingly enough, the movement *sounds* just like gen - it's a 4hz movement echoing inside an all-steel case, with the gen pinging sound and everything.
Impression: 30% of gen

BRACELET
The bracelet is decent enough, well machined and polished sides, although the bracelet with this watch had a burr on one link that took some filing and sandpaper work to remove. End links are well machined, the top feels a little more loose than the bottom. The outside of the bracelet has that same silky-smooth feeling as gen, but the inside edges (including the edges of the middle links, somehow) are quite sharp to the touch. The links aren't rattly, but they are a bit stiff, and the easylink extension is especially stiff. I gave it an ultrasonic cleaning and oil bath which improved the stiffness somewhat, but not on all the links.

The clasp itself feels exactly the same as gen - it's satisfying and has a solid hold, and the safety clasp is smooth and has a deep click to it.
Impression: 70% of gen

TIMEKEEPING
I don't have a timegrapher but it doesn't seem to be gaining or losing any time at all. Very impressed with the regulation out of the box.
Impression: 100% of gen

CONCLUSION
Overall, this watch passes as gen easily on visuals and some of the bracelet feel. However, anyone hearing the rotor noise, or unscrewing the crown to wind it or set the time would know immediately that something was very off.

Still, I'm incredibly pleased with this watch and my first foray into the rep world.

BP 214270 - BP 214270

40mm

19/10/21
GreatWhiteNorth
This is an awesome and very useful comparison I have often wondered about.

Your description of replicas matches everyone I have every bought. Sadly, my income bracket does not permit me to compare with genuine, at least not yet.

I have improved things a lot on my replicas by replacing the Asian eta with a real one. I find this makes the watch much smoother to set and wind.

I agree with your results in the sense that I have walked into my local jewellers and been shocked to see that the genuine watches do not look any better than my replicas. I guess the main difference is in the touching and feeling.

Thanks for this!

Reactions: auteur

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Nice review bro, thanks for taking the time. I put a gen Swiss 2824 in mine which corrects a lot of the movement and stem/winding issues you mentioned. I removed the calendar parts and filed down the middle bump on the setting lever spring to get rid of the ghost crown position. These are lovely reps, mine may never leave my collection.

15754995793461.jpg

auteur

Supporter
Certified
27/8/17
Eastern US
I am strongly considering putting in a swiss movement, glad to hear that it could solve some of what I mentioned. You went with an ETA 2824? I wonder if an SW-200 would work too.

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

40mm

19/10/21
GreatWhiteNorth
I have purchased from the same vendor as KJ2020 and had solid results as well. They ship insured and registered and are in Bienne Switzerland if I remember correctly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14313654196...QAAOSwZ6tfacGQ

The eta2824 and SW200 are one for one swap-able. The SW200 will probably be cheaper. I went eta because all of my genuine watches are SW200. I wanted to see if there is a noticeable difference. There is not.

Reactions: KJ2020

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
Great 1rst review OP.
Good balance of personal feedback and technical facts, most useful writing, thank you.
BP factory is one of the oldest active factory, their stable and seamless production sets its own standard somehow. Great Explorer.

I can only agree with the said above : swapping for a swiss movements gives that solid and smooth feeling to reps and gets them to another level. That's what I do for my keepers, and Sellitas are totally worth it moneywise.

Envoyé de mon SM-G991B en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited:

Borbone

WatchAholic
24/8/21
Italy
Thanks, amazing review.
So other members what think about the 212470 BP?
Is it a Great rep??

wmass

17/4/22
Thanks, amazing review.
So other members what think about the 212470 BP?
Is it a Great rep??

I believe it's now considered NWBIG

I followed the same as most in this thread and bought one with the intention to throw a gen ETA in it, pressure test and call it a day.

Hank_Scorpio

Looking Around
13/6/22
This is an awesome and very useful comparison I have often wondered about.

Your description of replicas matches everyone I have every bought. Sadly, my income bracket does not permit me to compare with genuine, at least not yet.

I have improved things a lot on my replicas by replacing the Asian eta with a real one. I find this makes the watch much smoother to set and wind.

I agree with your results in the sense that I have walked into my local jewellers and been shocked to see that the genuine watches do not look any better than my replicas. I guess the main difference is in the touching and feeling.

Thanks for this!

Thank you for all of the insight. I am considering purchasing a rep. Do you know of anyone who does these swaps? Or will you consider doing this for me? I can pay for the parts and labor.

Thank you

Theodizee

27/12/20

SkyMaster337

7/5/21
I just bought today an ETA 2824-2 from this thread in te forum to upgrade my BP Explorer;

Can anyone confirm It is the right one? Thxs

eiwood

Panerai Curious
Patron
Certified
10/12/21
US
I just bought today an ETA 2824-2 from this thread in te forum to upgrade my BP Explorer;

Can anyone confirm It is the right one? Thxs
That'll work. I just had this done to my 214270.

SkyMaster337

7/5/21
That'll work. I just had this done to my 214270.
thanks buddy, just worried about the date wheel as I saw today there are 2824 movements without it so was not sure if it can just simply be cancelled or needed to source one without it.

eiwood

Panerai Curious
Patron
Certified
10/12/21
US
thanks buddy, just worried about the date wheel as I saw today there are 2824 movements without it so was not sure if it can just simply be cancelled or needed to source one without it.
Additionally, if you want to “delete” the date setting position on the crown you can order a 2 position set lever. I did this with mine so the only positions are winding and time setting (like gen).

Reactions: SkyMaster337

SkyMaster337

7/5/21
Additionally, if you want to “delete” the date setting position on the crown you can order a 2 position set lever. I did this with mine so the only positions are winding and time setting (like gen).
Awesome imput! many thanks @eiwood

SkyMaster337

7/5/21
Anyone had troubles mounting a gen eta 2824 on the watch?

Mine sits too high on the case bending slightly the crown steam through the hole and making it difficult to screw in.

drew4601

Horology Curious
24/10/22
Anyone had troubles mounting a gen eta 2824 on the watch?

Mine sits too high on the case bending slightly the crown steam through the hole and making it difficult to screw in.
so your a2824 has different measurements to your gen eta?

SkyMaster337

7/5/21
I opened a separated thread to adress this

RobRep

Looking Around
20/9/23
Almeria, Spain
where can you get the 2 position set lever from - thanks I want one for 2836 so probably the same as the 2824?