• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Solid Models

didjital7

Renowned Member
Supporter
30/1/21
Constantly interupting my watch nerd time, unfortunately, is a day job to pay for all the fun....

I run a large manufacturing plant with millions of dollars worth of lasers and CNC machines of all types. I was wanting to dick around with milling some watch parts and wanted to know if anyone had a solid model of a rolex or omega case and any related parts.

Another option would be if someone had a spare case around that I could measure and model myself in CAD. I would return the parts when I'm done modeling them, and of course make the files available here for whoever wants them.

McPwn

21/9/20
Is there actually a difference in dimensions between a PM piece and a stainless one? Seems like this comes up every now and then with someone wanting to make a rep PM case.

Wacht

Renowned Member
6/7/20
Precious metal or prime minister.

Last edited:

didjital7

Renowned Member
Supporter
30/1/21
Oh,ok. I wouldn't think you would mill a PM case. I would think that would be cast and then polished. Sometimes when we machine parts 80% of the material goes in the bin as chips!

didjital7

Renowned Member
Supporter
30/1/21
If anyone has a donor case, I will return it after modeling. I am very good at reverse engineering. I have all the fancy measuring tools, and I basically do this all day in my office for the last 20 years...

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20
Is there actually a difference in dimensions between a PM piece and a stainless one? Seems like this comes up every now and then with someone wanting to make a rep PM case.

Yes.

Stainless Steel, Gold and Platinum Daytonas each have their own unique style of crown guards.
A late 5 digit Submariner (from circa 2005-2010 has different crown guards from the pre 2005 and Stainless models.
Precious metal Rolex cases are not as solid as you think (or like a Stainless case), they are hollowed out in a number of places inside the case, from anywhere that metal can be removed to save money!

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20
'Solid' gold Day Date Rolex case.. check the big bits of metal removed! You think you're getting a solid gold watch, think again..

j8Xn21.jpg

Last edited:

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20
16618 Submariners with different crown guards, both 'swiss made' so both post 2001. The later octagonal style is post 2005. SS Submariner case only ever had the (nicer) early style. I have no clue why Rolex changed it, the CG's look ugly imo.

j8X8u4.jpg
j8XtjI.jpg

Last edited:

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20
I could do the same for each metal of Daytona but I have better things to do with my time.. have a look yourself(s) if you can be bothered, each metal of Daytona has different crown guards.

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20
Yes, those are both genuine. Very obviously different dials too. Rolex has four factories that supply dials which is why there are variations.

Last edited:

didjital7

Renowned Member
Supporter
30/1/21
It's funny because people always obsess about sel gaps, but both of those have them, especially the first one.