• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Clean 4130 Daytonas.

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
yes the blue is evident in certain lighting. I have one and saw a gen in person this weekend. The dial of the gen is most definitely pure white and not even a hint of blue. Also, the clean factory crystal is crap. I’m ordering a clean v2 to see the difference and if the dial is the correct pure white, I’ll be putting a gen crystal on it and call it a day.

What is the main problem with CF crystal?

Bigpotato

27/10/14
What is the main problem with CF crystal?

The crystal lacks the clarity of gen. It does not have the AR applied to the underside. It's hard to notice unless you've seen or handled a gen daytona. However, the AR was not used by Rolex until a couple of years ago. To me, it makes a world of a difference.

Reactions: grillbrill

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
It seems to me that the cf 116520 v2 has also updated the subdials. Is it just my impression?

Left gen, right cf v2

Is the 150 and 180 marker on the bezel as bad IRL as they look in pictures? The dot looks to be practically touching the "1" at both spots?

Tiger4

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
26/1/21
It seems to me that the cf 116520 v2 has also updated the subdials. Is it just my impression?

Left gen, right cf v2

It does appear that the subdials doesn’t look as fat as the v1. Kind of hard to tell without a direct side by side caparison with a gen. Can anyone confirm if the subdial issue is now corrected on the v2.

Any input is appreciated.

ettorefranco

23/4/20
caput mundi
It does appear that the subdials doesn’t look as fat as the v1. Kind of hard to tell without a direct side by side caparison with a gen. Can anyone confirm if the subdial issue is now corrected on the v2.

Any input is appreciated.

What you see is a side by side (genuine 116520 on the left, cf 116520 v2 on the right). From this comparison it emerges that the subdials have been corrected and that they now have the same thickness as the gen

Tiger4

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
26/1/21
What you see is a side by side (genuine 116520 on the left, cf 116520 v2 on the right). From this comparison it emerges that the subdials have been corrected and that they now have the same thickness as the gen

That is good news! Thanks for the confirmation.

Reactions: ettorefranco

DSignR

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/10/21
Germany
Finally got around to it: pictures of the V1 and V2 side by side.

Ah, great, thanks ... yeah so "obviously" the v1 is on the right and the v2 is on the left in the pics ... right?! ;)
Would be good to see the crowns (3 spots on straight or curved line) as well, but I guess main focus was on the dials and "blue tint" (from v1) etc.

Uhr70

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/13
USA
Ah, great, thanks ... yeah so "obviously" the v1 is on the right and the v2 is on the left in the pics ... right?! ;)
Would be good to see the crowns (3 spots on straight or curved line) as well, but I guess main focus was on the dials and "blue tint" (from v1) etc.

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
Finally got around to it: pictures of the V1 and V2 side by side.

One on the right looks super blue to my eyes (V1?), one on left less so (V2?) but still not great. Is that the case IRL? Was the pic above taken in direct sunlight?

Uhr70

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/13
USA
One on the right looks super blue to my eyes (V1?), one on left less so (V2?) but still not great. Is that the case IRL? Was the pic above taken in direct sunlight?

The thing about the V1 dial is that the blue hue is really only visible in direct sunlight thru the camera lenses. When I look at them in direct sunlight they are almost identical: V2 has a slightly creamier hue to it. The blue hue of the V1 comes out in the picture not in real life, if that makes sense.

Reactions: Tijdwijzer

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
The thing about the V1 dial is that the blue hue is really only visible in direct sunlight thru the camera lenses. When I look at them in direct sunlight they are almost identical: V2 has a slightly creamier hue to it. The blue hue of the V1 comes out in the picture not in real life, if that makes sense.

Yes, makes perfect sense. Cameras can play tricks with color rendering if you don't have the proper white balance setting. If your camera has a white balance adjustment, you can try to increase the kelvin setting until the picture matches what you are seeing IRL. From what your describing, it sounds like in outdoor midday sunlight, kelvin setting should probably be ~5500-6500K+ to get a more realistic result.

Reactions: Tijdwijzer

NoahNHP

Known Member
22/7/21
Australia

Totally agree I didn't see much or almost no blue at all ;)

Samgobigs

11/2/20
The crystal lacks the clarity of gen. It does not have the AR applied to the underside. It's hard to notice unless you've seen or handled a gen daytona. However, the AR was not used by Rolex until a couple of years ago. To me, it makes a world of a difference.

Is it fair to say that:
-Gen has anti-reflective coating on the underside?
-CF lacks this anti-reflective coating
-Better Factory includes the anti-reflective coating similar to gen?

Just trying to gather all the information I can about the crystal between Gen / CF / BF.

AnExpensiveBracelet

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/4/22

For the 116520?

My CF which i GL has curved 3 dots on the crown

Mark1937

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
25/3/17
Is it fair to say that:
-Gen has anti-reflective coating on the underside?
-CF lacks this anti-reflective coating
-Better Factory includes the anti-reflective coating similar to gen?

Just trying to gather all the information I can about the crystal between Gen / CF / BF.

Correct ;-)