• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Clean 4130 Daytonas.

bigcatdc

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/6/11
Yes, the paperclip mod is an interesting one...but do NOT attempt unless you have serious modding skills :p

Wow! Blends in seamlessly. Just as good as an actual link— I could never tell that bracelet was anything but gen from that picture…hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: butler182

gtatrevor

Horology Curious
5/3/22
Toronto, Canada
Got my clean daytona, i couldnt take the link out next to the clasp, it seems stuck, tried:

1. lighter
2. dryer
3. WD40 soaking

no luck still and dont wanna strip the bolt head - the other bolts came out and even stubborn ones just took a little heat

what are my options as I like my oyster bracelets to have 3 links before the clasp in a thumbs up position

Lmk what else i should try before I order a new clasp, kinda cheesed for a 800$ rep with the other issue being the bezel not flush to the case with a slight gap only when see with light being on the 6 oclock side

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
Got my clean daytona, i couldnt take the link out next to the clasp, it seems stuck, tried:

1. lighter
2. dryer
3. WD40 soaking

no luck still and dont wanna strip the bolt head - the other bolts came out and even stubborn ones just took a little heat

what are my options as I like my oyster bracelets to have 3 links before the clasp in a thumbs up position

Lmk what else i should try before I order a new clasp, kinda cheesed for a 800$ rep with the other issue being the bezel not flush to the case with a slight gap only when see with light being on the 6 oclock side

I would soak it in acetone for a few minutes, then hit the link with a heat gun on high for a minute, then take an ice cube and touch the tip of the screw that shows through on the link (opposite the slotted side) for few seconds, then quickly try to unscrew. The idea being to get the screw threads colder (and more compressed) than the link it's screwed into. I used this technique to unscrew a stem that would not release from a crown and it worked beautifully...but the stem was easy to cool relative to the crown in that scenario....this will not be so easy in your case, but worth a try. If that doesn't work, you could always drill the screw out with a tiny drill bit (effectively pulverizing the screw). You of course would need to source a new screw (which can be purchased at many watch supply sites).

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
Wow! Blends in seamlessly. Just as good as an actual link— I could never tell that bracelet was anything but gen from that picture…hahaha

When you have a 22cm wrist, you have to get creative! But seriously, I've seen gen and rep links for sale on ebay. The rep links typically sell for around $20-30 on ebay. No idea if they would fit, but if the seller offers free returns (and many do), it may be worth a try. Good luck!

bigcatdc

19/6/11
When you have a 22cm wrist, you have to get creative! But seriously, I've seen gen and rep links for sale on ebay. The rep links typically sell for around $20-30 on ebay. No idea if they would fit, but if the seller offers free returns (and many do), it may be worth a try. Good luck!

Totally agree regarding getting creative! A generous RWI member sent me a spare link so I should be good to go! I very much appreciate your eBay recommendation also. I will keep that in mind in the future.

bigcatdc

19/6/11
Totally agree regarding getting creative! A generous RWI member sent me a spare link so I should be good to go! I very much appreciate your eBay recommendation also. I will keep that in mind in the future.

And thanks very much for the good luck too butler182!

bigcatdc

19/6/11
Huge thanks to the very generous ubi for for sending me a spare link for my CF Daytona. Now it fits my oversized ham hock wrists with ease, and I can proudly wear this beautiful watch. Thanks so much again ubi!!!
665b0a9cda3e056476043b1a1b4fd82e.jpg

ffnc1020

3/9/17
Anyone has a spare subdial hand lol? I sent one of mine flying when trying to fix the misalignment on CF.

Reactions: Tijdwijzer

Tijdwijzer

Renowned Member
24/11/20
Europe
Guys got mine in Feb and it just stopped working, what should I do?

Thats a long powerreserve you got right there! you need to re-wind it clockwise as i remember..

just kidding, how about you contact a watchsmith on this forum, and let it service.

Reactions: YellowFin

mmaggi

Renowned Member
17/2/22
New York, USA
Guys got mine in Feb and it just stopped working, what should I do?

Obviously get it serviced. It's things like this that convince me to send it immediately out for service when mine arrives. I realize it's the nature of the beast. But I wish the factories that assemble these movements & watches could up their QC game.