• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

BPF "3230 clone" OP 36mm 126000 (from Trustytime) review

SbobSqpants

Looking Around
14/11/21
I was on and off this forum for the last decade and recently got back into reps, and back on RWI. The dealers and problems with watches are a little different than I remember so I wanted to share some of my findings. I purchased a BPF "3230 clone" OP 36mm 126000, listed as ROYP009G at Trustytime a couple months ago.

Recommend? No

Visual check: SELs and crystal bezel were very loose up arrival. The SELs rotate around the springbar and the crystal side of the SEL pries the crystal bezel up. I took the bracelet off and saw what appears to be damage to the case where the SEL slots into, potentially by the laser engraving tool / alignment jig. Very careful tweaking of the case (interface to SEL) by pilers and re-pressing the bezel made it wear-able as long as I'm careful not to put too much force on the bracelet, at which point the bezel gets pried up (off of the case) again by leverage of the SEL around the springbars. Trustytime wasn't able to offer much help - the replies were generally fast but after many replies and marked up pictures I gave up. TD said it was normal and then after supplying more pictures kept saying to bend or reseat springbars. Bracelet is fine, but very sharp on edges of links. On a positive note, the dial looks very good to my eyes, with long-lasting but very dim lume. Screw down crown is difficult to get started compared to past Subs and Seamasters, but perhaps this is due to the smaller tube. LEC is subtle enough, and the rehaute engraving isn't too loudly "rep". TD did not respond to question of why timesetting direction is reverse of 3230/3235 (see "Clone movement" section).

Timekeeping: Even with daily wear power reserve is very inconsistent and stops running once every other week, with no relation to how much I'm walking about vs. sat at my desk. TD showed timergrapher of 0s/day but it was about -15s / day by the time it arrived, which isn't unexpected as the movement beds in. I could hear rubbing sounds from time to time as the rotor moved which I initially attributed to the new 3230 ball bearing rotor support. See next section.

Clone movement: Upon removing the case back to further investigate the irregular power reserve and movement stopping, it became clear it was a hastily modified 3130 clone. The rotor wobbled a lot and is able to rub on the case back when facing up, which alone likely isn't the reason for the irregular power reserve since friction isn't that great - the reversing wheels likely have a lot of slip. The rotor is the 3135 style that needs to be removed by sliding the keeper within a slot, but the slot is covered up by the attempt to make it look like the "3230" whose nameplate is stamped on the movement. There is a fake triangle fastner stamped into the otherwise 3135 style rivet, which as expected, cannot be turned and is indeed missing a triangle hole for the most part. Fake screws that just spin and fake 3130/3135 auto winder wheels are stuck in place onto the auto winder bridge. The auto winder bridge itself was sitting uneven with large gaps between it and the main movement that could be temporarily closed by pushing down with tweezers, not helped by the fact that it is held down only with one screw due to the second screw location being used for an artistic interpretation of a 3230/3235.
All decorations around the perimeter of the movement are a thin (but somewhat well-machined) plate that goes between bridge/plate screws and bridges. On the rotor, there is a thin ball bearing motif that is glued in place with two dots of glue.

QC process: Timegrapher is a nice touch. I asked for more SEL pictures at different angles but TD instead replied that it is perfect. I don't doubt the loose SEL could have occurred as a symptom of shipping but this makes the QC process less effective, and the generally dim lighting of the pictures isn't very good for inspecting certain aspects of the watch.

Overall I can't recommend this watch despite how it looks in static pictures. It seems in this era of readily accessible clone movements (not just ETA/Valjoux clones) there is quite a big variation between the movement makers, which seemed easier to navigate back in the 2824 times. TDs (Michelle at Silix, Trevor, etc) of yore seemed to have better understanding of problems with watches and customer expectations, or perhaps it's just a language barrier in this case. The RWI user interface is great now - no more Photobucket!

Does anyone know if clone 3135 movements can be installed in place of 3130 movements, after removing the date dial, and ignoring the extra position in the keyless works? I'm aware that the stem/crown may have compatibility issues, but mostly I'm concerned the datewheel adds a subtle amount of height that makes the rotor not clear the caseback.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I have the 2824 version of the BP 116 OP watch and the movement is unmodified by the factory so it has a daily date flip and a ghost stem position 2. Someday I'll get around to remedying that but it's running so well it's far down on the project list.

I would try a VR3130 in yours.

tsyeo4 has some for sale

Last edited:

SbobSqpants

Looking Around
14/11/21
Thank you JK2020! The link to the VR3130 for sale by a long time member is super appreciated, hope your weekend has been good! And great guides!

Reactions: KJ2020

Nick8k

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/3/19
BPF is that the same factory as BP?

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Dano636

Horology Curious
1/5/20
Merica!
So SbobSqpants, did the VR3130 movement work? I have an 41mm GMF 124300 OP with the garbage 3230 that I want to replace with a 3130.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

conor

Horology Curious
17/5/13
Thank you JK2020! The link to the VR3130 for sale by a long time member is super appreciated, hope your weekend has been good! And great guides!
I would also love to know if this worked. I too have the same 126000 rep with the SA3230 movement. Your post was extremely helpful. I was wondering why I could fit my gen 116000 dial onto the SA3230 but not on to the VR3230 which I had purchased to replace it. It would be great if the VR3130 solved my problems.

Reactions: jp13abk

jp13abk

2/8/22
I was on and off this forum for the last decade and recently got back into reps, and back on RWI. The dealers and problems with watches are a little different than I remember so I wanted to share some of my findings. I purchased a BPF "3230 clone" OP 36mm 126000, listed as ROYP009G at Trustytime a couple months ago.

Recommend? No

Visual check: SELs and crystal bezel were very loose up arrival. The SELs rotate around the springbar and the crystal side of the SEL pries the crystal bezel up. I took the bracelet off and saw what appears to be damage to the case where the SEL slots into, potentially by the laser engraving tool / alignment jig. Very careful tweaking of the case (interface to SEL) by pilers and re-pressing the bezel made it wear-able as long as I'm careful not to put too much force on the bracelet, at which point the bezel gets pried up (off of the case) again by leverage of the SEL around the springbars. Trustytime wasn't able to offer much help - the replies were generally fast but after many replies and marked up pictures I gave up. TD said it was normal and then after supplying more pictures kept saying to bend or reseat springbars. Bracelet is fine, but very sharp on edges of links. On a positive note, the dial looks very good to my eyes, with long-lasting but very dim lume. Screw down crown is difficult to get started compared to past Subs and Seamasters, but perhaps this is due to the smaller tube. LEC is subtle enough, and the rehaute engraving isn't too loudly "rep". TD did not respond to question of why timesetting direction is reverse of 3230/3235 (see "Clone movement" section).

Timekeeping: Even with daily wear power reserve is very inconsistent and stops running once every other week, with no relation to how much I'm walking about vs. sat at my desk. TD showed timergrapher of 0s/day but it was about -15s / day by the time it arrived, which isn't unexpected as the movement beds in. I could hear rubbing sounds from time to time as the rotor moved which I initially attributed to the new 3230 ball bearing rotor support. See next section.

Clone movement: Upon removing the case back to further investigate the irregular power reserve and movement stopping, it became clear it was a hastily modified 3130 clone. The rotor wobbled a lot and is able to rub on the case back when facing up, which alone likely isn't the reason for the irregular power reserve since friction isn't that great - the reversing wheels likely have a lot of slip. The rotor is the 3135 style that needs to be removed by sliding the keeper within a slot, but the slot is covered up by the attempt to make it look like the "3230" whose nameplate is stamped on the movement. There is a fake triangle fastner stamped into the otherwise 3135 style rivet, which as expected, cannot be turned and is indeed missing a triangle hole for the most part. Fake screws that just spin and fake 3130/3135 auto winder wheels are stuck in place onto the auto winder bridge. The auto winder bridge itself was sitting uneven with large gaps between it and the main movement that could be temporarily closed by pushing down with tweezers, not helped by the fact that it is held down only with one screw due to the second screw location being used for an artistic interpretation of a 3230/3235.
All decorations around the perimeter of the movement are a thin (but somewhat well-machined) plate that goes between bridge/plate screws and bridges. On the rotor, there is a thin ball bearing motif that is glued in place with two dots of glue.

QC process: Timegrapher is a nice touch. I asked for more SEL pictures at different angles but TD instead replied that it is perfect. I don't doubt the loose SEL could have occurred as a symptom of shipping but this makes the QC process less effective, and the generally dim lighting of the pictures isn't very good for inspecting certain aspects of the watch.

Overall I can't recommend this watch despite how it looks in static pictures. It seems in this era of readily accessible clone movements (not just ETA/Valjoux clones) there is quite a big variation between the movement makers, which seemed easier to navigate back in the 2824 times. TDs (Michelle at Silix, Trevor, etc) of yore seemed to have better understanding of problems with watches and customer expectations, or perhaps it's just a language barrier in this case. The RWI user interface is great now - no more Photobucket!

Does anyone know if clone 3135 movements can be installed in place of 3130 movements, after removing the date dial, and ignoring the extra position in the keyless works? I'm aware that the stem/crown may have compatibility issues, but mostly I'm concerned the datewheel adds a subtle amount of height that makes the rotor not clear the caseback.

@SbobSqpants thanks for sharing your review, it's extremely helpful.

In retrospect, would you have gone for an A2824 / 2836 movement instead of the SA3230?

jp13abk

2/8/22
I have the 2824 version of the BP 116 OP watch and the movement is unmodified by the factory so it has a daily date flip and a ghost stem position 2. Someday I'll get around to remedying that but it's running so well it's far down on the project list.

I would try a VR3130 in yours.

tsyeo4 has some for sale

@KJ2020 glad to hear your 2824 is running well. Is that still the case? I'm looking into the same watch/movement and all reviews are appreciated.

Is the daily date flip something that can lead to problems? Or simply a hidden functionality that you'd rather get rid of?

Also, I assume the "ghost stem position 2" which you mention are the two positions / clicks on the crown?

Position 1 (one click) adjustment of date​
Position 2 (two clicks) adjustment of time​

I've read that to avoid damaging the movement, date must not be set when the hands are between the hours of 9pm and 3am. Do you know if this is the case? Does this apply when adjusting time too?

When you mentioned you'd get around to remedying the daily date flip and ghost stem position, did you have anything in mind already?

Sorry for all the questions.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
@KJ2020 glad to hear your 2824 is running well. Is that still the case? I'm looking into the same watch/movement and all reviews are appreciated.

Is the daily date flip something that can lead to problems? Or simply a hidden functionality that you'd rather get rid of?

Also, I assume the "ghost stem position 2" which you mention are the two positions / clicks on the crown?

Position 1 (one click) adjustment of date​
Position 2 (two clicks) adjustment of time​

I've read that to avoid damaging the movement, date must not be set when the hands are between the hours of 9pm and 3am. Do you know if this is the case? Does this apply when adjusting time too?

When you mentioned you'd get around to remedying the daily date flip and ghost stem position, did you have anything in mind already?

Sorry for all the questions.

Rep 2824 is still running well OOTB.

Date flip is a normal function, just not needed on this model.

A gen 3130 or 3230 does not have calendar parts or a date flip stem position.

You can indeed damage a movement by changing the date manually in a time period surrounding the automatic date change. Rolex recommends not doing it between 10PM - 2AM. The extra hour you mentioned is an additional precaution. The potential damage is usually limited to calendar parts functionality but can also affect GMT hands. Date parts can be finicky on reps and are a common problem area.

On many no date reps that use date movements, the parts are not removed. My OP changes date around 6PM because the factories don't bother setting the hands at midnight. You can hear the date flip when setting the time with the watch close to your ear. I never try to change the date manually so there is no risk of damage, damage that would likely be of no consequence anyway.

In several of my other no date reps (Air King, Explorers, etc) I have simply removed the unneeded calendar parts. Then you can also file a bump off the setting lever spring or install one from a no date movement to eliminate the unneeded stem position. Eventually I will get around to doing this on the OP. As long as it's running well I'm in no hurry as the issue is not even an inconvenience, it's just not gen-like.

jQJhnk.jpg

Reactions: AMIII and jp13abk

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I have not had a single issue with my BP 2824 OP39, internal or external. Some TD sites will list these as a 2836 but BP does not use more expensive movements in reps that don't need them.

zLDUfL.jpg

Z9CAMn.jpg

Last edited:

jp13abk

2/8/22
Rep 2824 is still running well OOTB.

Date flip is a normal function, just not needed on this model.

A gen 3130 or 3230 does not have calendar parts or a date flip stem position.

You can indeed damage a movement by changing the date manually in a time period surrounding the automatic date change. Rolex recommends not doing it between 10PM - 2AM. The extra hour you mentioned is an additional precaution. The potential damage is usually limited to calendar parts functionality but can also affect GMT hands. Date parts can be finicky on reps and are a common problem area.

On many no date reps that use date movements, the parts are not removed. My OP changes date around 6PM because the factories don't bother setting the hands at midnight. You can hear the date flip when setting the time with the watch close to your ear. I never try to change the date manually so there is no risk of damage, damage that would likely be of no consequence anyway.

In several of my other no date reps (Air King, Explorers, etc) I have simply removed the unneeded calendar parts. Then you can also file a bump off the setting lever spring or install one from a no date movement to eliminate the unneeded stem position. Eventually I will get around to doing this on the OP. As long as it's running well I'm in no hurry as the issue is not even an inconvenience, it's just not gen-like.

jQJhnk.jpg
Many thanks for the detailed explanation and for the quick response. Massive help!

jp13abk

2/8/22
I have not had a single issue with my BP 2824 OP39, internal or external. Some TD sites will list these as a 2836 but BP does not use more expensive movements in reps that don't need them.

zLDUfL.jpg

Z9CAMn.jpg
And appreciate the update status on your watch and the photos. Glad its's going strong!

Feefo

Your cleverness is mistaken for your cleverness
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
I have the BP 36mm with A2824 movement. Running without issues since April. I just try to be very careful when manipulating the crown since it feels a bit loose and setting time seems a bit of a trial and error procedure. Well, one time nothing happened when rotating the crown, but then I rescrewed it down and up again and it worked. Just cautious now. But it runs just fine.