• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review of the new Submariner GMF V2

Björn_Ironside

I'm Pretty Popular
10/6/21
Italia
hello friends,

as promised I post here my personal review of the new submariner recently released by GMF in its version 2 (GMF V2).
specifically, a 116619LB smurf arrived, compared to 116610 probably only the winding crown changes, which I will not include in the photos.

I will take this opportunity to compare this GMF V2, photographically, with the 116610 vsf and zf submarines.

in the end I will compare the color and the details of the dial of the two smurfs.

now I release the images, later I will release the review and personal feeling about the GMF V2.

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
Big respect for the review!

The ZF hulk looks awesome! The GMF smurf dial is so good! I would definitely swap the GMF dial into the VSF smurf.

Reactions: Björn_Ironside

P..DR..D

KING OF LINKS
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
Thanks for doing this my friend, very informative and helpful with the high resolution picture comparisons:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Björn_Ironside

I'm Pretty Popular
10/6/21
Italia
okay friends, I'll be short enough, since everyone is free to interpret and have their own personal tastes, just based on the images.
I will not mention point by point but I will simply describe in one go everything that gives me to think positively or negatively.

without super macro view, the GMF V2 looks like an excellent replica, well made and solid.
the bezel turns soft and smooth with sharp and defined clip strokes. pressing on the bezel gives a slight movement, similar to that given by ZF, but not VSF. I would say on par with ZF in this aspect, not bad all in all.

to the naked eye the pearl looks more like VSF, then under the microscope you discover that it does not resemble any of the others. overall the insert looks great for me both numbers and colors. nothing to do with the aftermarket bezel I currently have on my vsf smurf. i will probably replace the entire bezel of my vsf with this one.

the dial is a little more electric blue than the vsf smurf, but in the end the color difference is really minimal, perhaps a little more purple in the sunlight.

as for the details, needless to dwell, the photos speak for themselves. thicker and more domed chrome-plated indexes than ZF and VSF. the ROLEX lettering is slightly thinner than the other two, while the submariner lettering is slightly fatter.

the date font is good and tends to be more like ZF than VSF but a really great font. as well as the cyclops and the black hole. this was the biggest surprise for me. the crystal, the cyclops and the date window, nothing to envy to the others.

the bezel ring has a thicker tooth than the others but all in all the scallops are not bad, perhaps a little smaller. nothing that can ever be noticed with the naked eye. in any case definitely superior to the aftermarket ring nut present here.

the renhaut, for those interested, has a more subtle and less marked character than the others, but it is fine with the naked eye. in the end it is decently centered, but in the end also that of the VSF is not the best. who cares!

in my opinion there is no SEL space, compared to the others. great but I don't give a damn about that.

it is useless to describe the lugs and the CGs, everyone can evaluate them.

it is clear that there is no great similarity with VSF and I would say neither with ZF for the lugs, but with the naked eye we can only say that they are slightly more rounded.

the CGs are more like the ZF ones, but nothing to do with VSF.

the movement cannot be heard, it seems quite silent and the second hand runs quite smoothly. the crown and the stem for changing the time and date and winding can be unscrewed and screwed back on very soft, no friction.

the bracelet is slightly angular but feels good on the wrist, does not even need oil baths, the connections are already flexible and well mobile. the closure is firm.

I'd say it's all for me. if you have any questions for me I ask you to write here on the post and not through pm, in order to make all the other friends interested in this participate.

Last edited:

VG87

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
30/5/21
Great comparison mate! Personally I prefer the depth of the VSF dial. GMF insert looks good. I also think VSF has better SEL recess than GMF. For crown guards I cannot comment and I'll wait for more expert people to chime in!

Now that you have 2 grail pieces, would you pass on one of them? If so, you know who to PM ;)

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Excellent review, bravo! I have to say that on the strength of the pics and your analysis, I’m certainly tempted by the GMF - and I swore I wouldn’t buy any more ceramic Subs!

byseconds

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/11/21
That GM looks great, the V2 is reeally a good upgrade.

I have ordered a GMF V2 116610LN from Trusty three days ago, I had planned to order a VSF but as it is not possible I asked Andrew for advice. It seems that my choice was the correct one, now to wait for the control photos

Last edited:

Björn_Ironside

I'm Pretty Popular
10/6/21
Italia
Excellent review, bravo! I have to say that on the strength of the pics and your analysis, I’m certainly tempted by the GMF - and I swore I wouldn’t buy any more ceramic Subs!

it is a good replica, definitely a very good crystal and a very pleasing look to the eye. however, as well as RF, Clean, and others, it is not suitable for RWI friends who are obsessed with GCs and lugs

Don5665

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/4/19
Bangalore, India
Great review there! Big up for taking the time out.
I’m planning to get the Gold wrapped version that Andrew has for 720 odd dollars, can I have the privilege of asking you about what all part should one franken / fine tune / modify to make it the most perfect submariner rep in the market at the moment ? (Didn’t say closest to gen but most perfect rep so the haters don’t attack)

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
Excellent review, thanks for taking the time and going to such level of details!