• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The VSF Submariners Thread

mandipan

Sic Mundus Creatus Est
Certified
18/11/13
Talked with Li today, stand-alone bracelet purchases won’t be available until mid-February due to CNY. Thinking of a Jubilee as well…

Thanks for the update Nick. Was thinking to try one of those CF bracelets even if I consider my VSF pretty good.

Reactions: TheNickGuy

mrln

Supporter
25/11/20
EU
Just replace it with a CF bracelet, they use the ARF bracelet, far better SEL fitment and it’ll also get rid of the horrendous catfish mouth shaped gap you currently have at the front of the clasp.

Daaaaamn! I own a 126610 from the pre-raid era and have worn it maybe a handful times because i just can't live with this "catfish" grimace. I have often thought to address that somewhere or to look for it over here. Just did not know how to describe the problem. RWI is a freaking rabbit hole! The possibility that someone else has already addressed this problem somewhere is immensely high. Just finding it via search is the challenge! Now I'm happy to have read this and to know that I'm not alone with the problem! haha! Maybe I'll find some more infos with "catfish", if this is already a term for that kind of clasp! Thanks!

Marky101

Known Member
3/5/21
Daaaaamn! I own a 126610 from the pre-raid era and have worn it maybe a handful times because i just can't live with this "catfish" grimace. I have often thought to address that somewhere or to look for it over here. Just did not know how to describe the problem. RWI is a freaking rabbit hole! The possibility that someone else has already addressed this problem somewhere is immensely high. Just finding it via search is the challenge! Now I'm happy to have read this and to know that I'm not alone with the problem! haha! Maybe I'll find some more infos with "catfish", if this is already a term for that kind of clasp! Thanks!

If it’s only the clasp that’s bothering you, no need to change the bracelet, just the clasp. I genuinely couldn’t wear mine with original VSF clasp as it was so horrendous. If your happy with the SEL’s just replace the clasp

ForecastMax

Renowned Member
27/12/12
If it’s only the clasp that’s bothering you, no need to change the bracelet, just the clasp. I genuinely couldn’t wear mine with original VSF clasp as it was so horrendous. If your happy with the SEL’s just replace the clasp

Another nice thing about replacing a VS with CF clasp is the 316 vs 904 difference. I believe VS is all 904 except crown & clasp if I’m not mistaken.

Reactions: GGEuroHEADSHOT

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20
Thanks for the update Nick. Was thinking to try one of those CF bracelets even if I consider my VSF pretty good.

CF bracelet is off the menu. The SEL's on the latest ones are no improvement over VSF. They have quite literally lost their edge.

Here is the latest CF 41mm Oyster bracelet on the CF124060..

jPFCJE.jpg
jPFTan.jpg

..the SEL's are the same are VSF - shallow, soft edged, lacking any defininition.

For reference, this is what we're talking about when I say crap SEL's (illustration borrowed)

jPFXp3.jpg

Last edited:

mrln

Supporter
25/11/20
EU

Oh, right! Yeah, SELs are great for me! But this huuuuge mouth I cannot stand!

Marky101

Known Member
3/5/21
CF bracelet is off the menu. The SEL's on the latest ones are no improvement over VSF. They have quite literally lost their edge.

jPFCJE.jpg
jPFTan.jpg

..the SEL's are the same are VSF - shallow, soft edged, lacking any defininition.

For reference, this is what we're talking about when I say crap SEL's (illustration borrowed)

jPFXp3.jpg

So just change the clasp and you’ve got the best option available.

mandipan

Sic Mundus Creatus Est
Certified
18/11/13

jPFCJE.jpg
jPFTan.jpg

jPFXp3.jpg

So we should ask precisely for the CF 126610 models?

I am seeing more inconsistency among 116x series

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16

Experimenting with a SEL from the parts bin. It’s possible to file the outer links lower which creates more definition and a taller center link. I used a fine Swiss file that only cuts on the bottom and doesn’t cut into the sides of the center link. A crisp result is possible. I didn’t brush or polish. This just the result of filing, and I think it has potential.

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20
So we should ask precisely for the CF 126610 models?

I am seeing more inconsistency among 116x series

I'd very much doubt there will be any difference. If CF use the same case for the 126 and 124 then they'll be using the same bracelet too.

Marky101

Known Member
3/5/21
Its hyperbole. there is no part of the watch that resembles a mouth - a catfish one or otherwise.

The clasp is dog shit. If you close the clasp and look at where you pull it to release it, the gap is huge compared to how it should be and looks like the mouth of a catfish, hence why so many people change the clasp or won’t wear the watch.

Björn_Ironside

I'm Pretty Popular
10/6/21
Italia
just today I was watching the closure of my vsf ... in fact all the time it bothered me. I never thought I'd fall into these things ... but I admit it. the catfish effect is awful.
how is it resolved?