• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

3EF vs BPF 226659 Yacht-Master mini review

Yacht-Monster

The entertainer previously known as Roughwatch
Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
Okay folks, this is a short comparison between two of the better 226659 reps available right now. I was on the fence for too long about ordering the VSF, mostly because they couldn’t offer a strap for anyone with wrists larger than 15cm long (or something small anyway). For a leviathan like myself, I needed a larger strap. Clearly the VSF was the best rep around so I put an order in with Trusty (figured I’d sort the strap issue out later) but then VSF ground to a halt. Looking at all other options, it was GMF or the better BP version that were the best available (BP previously had a lower end one that was awful). The BP was priced $100 cheaper so I went with that.

Five days after ordering, I noticed on reddit the 3EF (JVS and whatever other names they used to be called) released their model. Up close on the Intime website the pictures looked more gen-like and it resembled the VSF model. I had to have it and I pulled the trigger. These arrived within 2 days of each other with the BP arriving earlier. I took both for a spin and below are some images and the pros and cons.

Apologies about the photos, it’s hard getting good lighting for decent images with an iPhone. I also have 32 kids to 17 failed marriages (all eyeing off their inheritance in reps and plotting my death so they can get my Noobs), so getting an uninterrupted moment is near impossible. Feel free to PM me for extra shots if needed.

First, the specs as listed on the TD sites I purchased each watch from.

The BP
MOVEMENT: Platinum Plated Asia Clone 3235 Automatic Movement, 25J, 28800bph with Decorated Bridges & Plates like Genuine Rolex Caliber 3235
CASE DIAMETER: 42mm
THICKNESS: 13mm
DIAL COLOR: Black Dial with Dot Markers (With Blue Superlume Applied)
CASE MATERIAL: Solid Stainless Steel 316F
BRACELET: Black OysterFlex Rubber Strap (Anti-Dust Quality) with Single Fold Deployant Buckle
FRONT GLASS: Sapphire Crystal (Same thickness as Genuine) - Etched crown at 6:00 position
CASE BACK: Solid case back (with detailed 750 Gold Hallmarks on the case)
BEZEL: 120 Soft Clicks Bi-directional Ceramic Bezel
CLASP TYPE: Deployant Buckle
DATE INDICATOR: At 3:00 position (Adjusted via the crown) - Correct Date Mag of 2.5X

The 3EF
Movement Asian 3235 super clone automatic movement at 28800vph with working gears, no decoration plate
Functions: Hours, minutes, seconds and date display
Case: 1:1 Solid 316L stainless steel case
Crystal: Scratch-proof sapphire crystal with AR coating
Dial: Superlumed black dial
Bezel: Bi-directional rotating 3D black ceramic bezel
Strap: Black rubber strap
Clasp: New style flip-lock clasp
Water resistance: >50 Meters

Images and comments:

3EF first in all images or left in side by side photos: *note; when I say “more like the gen” this comes from multiple visits to my AD to handle this watch and from images, I don’t own the gen so it’s just my impression. As a Flat-Earther would say “do your own research” ????

Dial
At first the 3EF dial looks less washed out than the BP, but when you have both in your hands it’s not much of a difference. I would say that like the VSF, the Rolex text on the dial is thicker with the 3EF than on the BP.

Bezel
The 3EF wins hands down here. Insert width is the same as the gen and the arrow marker at 12 has the correct height which should go close to the edge. The BP insert has the arrow a little smaller and the width is too narrow. Both have soft clicks but the 3EF has zero back-play
*From playing with multiple YM gens, including the 226659, the bezel does not click like a sub. It’s softer. Only noting this as many complain about the bezel action on YM reps but the gens aren’t tight and loud anyway.
jYZnnc.jpg

jYZ6uX.jpg

jYZrji.jpg

Rehaut
Again, 3EF is the winner here. Not sure why BP use smaller text spaced apart, but this is a huge difference and the 3EF has lettering that's closer to the gen (although a little rough) than the BP.
jYZtIb.jpg

jYZBdp.jpg

Crown
Both annoyingly feel super tight when getting near their fixed location (crown upright). I’ve left both to the side as they feel at a safe tightness there. It’s annoying how most reps have this issue. Only a minor issue and both crowns and guards look good. No winner here. Disappointing tie.
jYZQJ5.jpg

jYZpWF.jpg

Clasp
I was surprised to find the BP clasp is nicer. Clicks solidly and the glidelock, although not butter smooth, is easier for smaller adjustments than the 3EF. Having said that, both sound like a rusty gate when off the wrist and likely need an oil bath.
jYZClt.jpg

jYZPF2.jpg

Strap
This is a toughy, as the BP looks darker and a little cheaper, but it’s harder and less flexible. See how the BP (right) holds its shape better than the 3EF. The 3EF is still good and the rubber has a more matte finish compared to the BP. This is a draw and hard to call but I’m going with the BP because it holds its shape better on the wrist.
jYZX2E.jpg

Movement
I haven’t opened them up and I’m no watchmaker so there’s better people to talk about movements than me, but the one annoying thing about the BP is that the movement is wound clockwise to set the time, exactly as it should for a 3135, whereas a gen 3235 movement is adjusted by moving the crown anti-clockwise. Makes zero sense having a problematic movement that winds the opposite direction of the gen (they could’ve used a ETA to overcome this instant tell). The 3EF movement is adjusted by winding the same direction as the gen and from everything I’ve read, it’s the same VS3235 as in the VSF version which is a superclone. Watchmakers and modders, feel free to add better information here as I’m the last person to lecture about movements. Oddly though, the rotor noise is quieter on the BP.

Verdict
For me the 3EF is the winner, especially as both are priced at $408. The 3EF is near identical to the gen and although the clasp and strap is better on the BP (especially the clasp), the rehaut and bezel inset on the BP plus the movement make the 3EF better value. Having said that, if you have a BP or GMF rep of this then it’s still a great watch and you really have to look to notice the little differences. I’ve just swapped the straps over and the 3EF on the BP strap is great. Both come with spare straps so I’ll ideally sell the BP at a loss with a 3EF and BP set of straps.

Hope this helps for those on the market for this rep in a post-VSF world.

Last edited:

VG87

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
30/5/21
Very nice review mate. Thank you for this eye opener! From the looks of it the 3EF is the superior rep when compared to BP as per your review. However, I have the GMF version and even though people say GMF and BP are practically the same factory, the differences on this YM are many and both GMF and BP are far from each other. The only 2 flaws I found on my GMF is the thin font date and the slightly crooked 6 o'clock marker. Other than that, I feel it's closer (if not above) the 3EF. I'll post a couple of shots below and you can comment on it. Enjoy your watches!

Last edited:

Yacht-Monster

Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
493cf2a6dd73cf4666cce8e1cee498f0.jpg

ad1c53534f214b63b0504c02ed022626.jpg

dc09db08b751ce66162b1549af1012d1.jpg

a6734a91bf642e0bba0d5ecb05b59a6c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That does look different. My apologies, I was going to get the GMF one when the VSF was unavailable, but Trusty mentioned that the only difference was the steel (I'm assuming the TD's although great, can't be u to date with every rep).

What about the winding direction to set the time? Is it like a 3135, or 3235?

Thanks.

Reactions: Chopard1

VG87

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
30/5/21
What about the winding direction to set the time? Is it like a 3135, or 3235?

AFAIK and as far as TDs advertise, the GMF version wears the unreliable SH3235. Winding direction and date set is clockwise. Time setting (to go forward) is counter clockwise. No need to apologise for anything mate. Instead, we really appreciate your effort in doing this great review and enlighten us on what is good now that VSF is gone. If I didn't have the GMF already, after seeing this review I'd go for the 3E without a doubt.

Yacht-Monster

Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
AFAIK and as far as TDs advertise, the GMF version wears the unreliable SH3235. Winding direction and date set is clockwise. Time setting (to go forward) is counter clockwise. No need to apologise for anything mate. Instead, we really appreciate your effort in doing this great review and enlighten us on what is good now that VSF is gone. If I didn't have the GMF already, after seeing this review I'd go for the 3E without a doubt.

Thanks mate, this is good to know and different to the BP for sure. I'll see if I can edit my original post. I kind of wish I got the GMF now after seeing your watch. Cheers for the kind words too. I've learnt so much from these kind of reviews so I thought I'd do one before moving the BP.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Very nice review bro, looks like the 3EF has some good elements and can be considered a contender.

Regarding the movements, the 3EF has the next-gen VR3235. It's a hybrid 3135/3235 movement that uses some of the reliable parts of the 3135 along with some necessary features of the 3235 (like date indicator seating and datewheel) so it can take a gen-spec 3235 dial, and wind like a 3235. Only VSF ever made the VS3235, it is no more, and Intime's ad info is wrong. This is not a bad thing, the VS3235 is closer to gen-spec overall but is not without issues. More than a few of them are now dead, and the obvious replacement choice is the VR3235.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/rolex-tudor-replicas/10265413-vsf3235-vr3235-comparison

The BP/GMF are both using their proprietary SA3235 but the BP has to be using their first release which has hand setting like the SA3135. GMF updated this movement to have hand setting like the 3235. Both releases are based on the poorly performing original SA3135 (same balance assembly), and both were also modded with GMT bits into the SA3186 (first release) and SA3285 (second release). None of these 4 versions is well regarded, and GMF is now offering its brand new V5 GMT with the option to have the much better VR3186 factory installed (How's that for confidence in your own movement?). One last note - no rep Rolex 32xx movement to date has an accurate quickset date change, the gen does so with a backward crown movement.

Yacht-Monster

Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
Very nice review bro, looks like the 3EF has some good elements and can be considered a contender.

Regarding the movements, the 3EF has the next-gen VR3235. It's a hybrid 3135/3235 movement that uses some of the reliable parts of the 3135 along with some necessary features of the 3235 (like date indicator seating and datewheel) so it can take a gen-spec 3235 dial, and wind like a 3235. Only VSF ever made the VS3235, it is no more, and Intime's ad info is wrong. This is not a bad thing, the VS3235 is closer to gen-spec overall but is not without issues. More than a few of them are now dead, and the obvious replacement choice is the VR3235.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/rolex-tudor-replicas/10265413-vsf3235-vr3235-comparison

The BP/GMF are both using their proprietary SA3235 but the BP has to be using their first release which has hand setting like the SA3135. GMF updated this movement to have hand setting like the 3235. Both releases are based on the poorly performing original SA3135 (same balance assembly), and both were also modded with GMT bits into the SA3186 (first release) and SA3285 (second release). None of these 4 versions is well regarded, and GMF is now offering its brand new V5 GMT with the option to have the much better VR3186 factory installed (How's that for confidence in your own movement?). One last note - no rep Rolex 32xx movement to date has an accurate quickset date change, the gen does so with a backward crown movement.

Thanks for this, I was wondering what the main differences were. It gets confusing as the term 'Asian clone' on most TD sites never really identifies a movement as either an SA, SH, or a V clone. Your post really clarified a few questions I've had for a while. Cheers.

Reactions: KJ2020

Hop3

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/11/21
Hello, i think this is the most recent thread that i find about this watch, and i have some questions for you wise people. I don't know anything about replicas, actually today i just discover this forum.

I'm in love with this watch, and i read some threads, and as i understand there are different factories, the 2 best for this model (it seems normally Noob is the best ) are VSF and GMF. So, VSF is 50€ cheaper and better than GMF at everything except steel, but VSF doesn't have larger strap, also it seems that VSF is closed (but i think there are this model in some links that i put below).

And reading you i know now that there is another one: 3EF... And BP that is not as good as the others... Could some good samaritan please tell me which one is the best of the best and where can i buy it? (And fix me with larger strap) I'm so excited to find some websites, but i don't know...

https://jtime.io/us/yacht-master-42m...ap-vs3235.html
https://jtime.io/us/yacht-master-42mm-226659-gmf-1-1-best-edition-3d-black-ceramic-bezel-on-black-rubber-strap-sa3235.html
https://trustytimewatch.io/index.php...ducts_id=22044
https://trustytimewatch.io/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_10&produc ts_id=21002
https://puretimewatch.io/yacht-master-42mm-226659-vsf-1-1-best-edition-3d-black-ceramic-bezel-on-black-rubber-strap-vs3235.html
https://puretimewatch.io/yacht-maste...p-sa3235.html#

Thank you very much for your time

Last edited:

donR

11/7/18
Sydney, Australia
I've also been on the look out for one of these, very nice Yacht master. I think you will find that just because the watch is listed doesn't mean it is available. I would start contacting all the trusted suppliers and see if anyone has an old VSF or other model available. As you say VSF has closed so may no longer be available.

VG87

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
30/5/21
VSF is closed so I believe whatever stock was laying around has now been sold already. I've been looking for this model for a long time without luck (from VSF). TDs just leave the links there for price reference or just because they don't bother removing. IMO, the next two better available options as we speak are GMF and 3EF. Ask your TD what he can source for you and make sure to get back to this thread and compare the QCs so that you have a better idea.

Reactions: Yacht-Monster

Hop3

1/11/21
Thank you for your answers! I guess this is not as simple as i thought..

Yacht-Monster

Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
I've also been on the look out for one of these, very nice Yacht master. I think you will find that just because the watch is listed doesn't mean it is available. I would start contacting all the trusted suppliers and see if anyone has an old VSF or other model available. As you say VSF has closed so may no longer be available.

Sorry my Aussie friend, but that's not really how it works. I've been buying from TDs long before joining the forum and even a few years ago if a factory shut down then your chances are nil unless you got in quick. For example, I managed to get a VSF Omega 300m just as VSF shut down through a TD who had a rare amount of stock, but this was a narrow window and shut long ago. Also, most TD's might carry a small amount of stock, most purchases they're simply the middle man between you and the watch, which is why you can reject QC images if its not up to scratch.

VSF shut down a while ago and if you find a TD with this watch, I'd treat it with caution. Even the 3EF of this watch was originally named as JVS (fake VSF) and some of their subs have been passed off as VSF stock unknowingly to TDs.

Apologies if I'm telling you things you already know. Just trying to not send the other member on a wild goose chase.

Cheers.

Reactions: KJ2020

Hop3

1/11/21
I've finally decided on the GMF one, I'll try to order it this week. I hope you do not mind if I upload the QC images and help me to check..

Reactions: Yacht-Monster

VG87

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
30/5/21
I've finally decided on the GMF one, I'll try to order it this week. I hope you do not mind if I upload the QC images and help me to check..

Good luck with getting your GMF mate. Just make sure to compare the differences to the BP one (i.e. different rehaut lettering size, 12 o'clock triangle size on insert, etc.) so you know exactly what you're getting.

And before you post your QCs, please check this: https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/replica-faq/94138-the-purpose-of-qc-pictures

In general, you're allowed to post QCs only if you have specific concerns about the piece (for example bad date). You can't just post few pics and ask others what they think and if they would GL or RL.

Hop3

1/11/21
Hello Roughwatch you said "Rehaut Again, 3EF is the winner here. Not sure why BP use smaller text spaced apart, but this is a huge difference and the 3EF has lettering that's closer to the gen (although a little rough) than the BP."

I'm not sure about the size but, The BP's text spaced apart for me it seems more close to the original than the 3EF...
https://gyazo.com/68116e1249095dd78ab990658efb2576

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

Hop3

1/11/21
Good luck with getting your GMF mate. Just make sure to compare the differences to the BP one (i.e. different rehaut lettering size, 12 o'clock triangle size on insert, etc.) so you know exactly what you're getting.

And before you post your QCs, please check this: https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/replica-faq/94138-the-purpose-of-qc-pictures

In general, you're allowed to post QCs only if you have specific concerns about the piece (for example bad date). You can't just post few pics and ask others what they think and if they would GL or RL.

Thank you, but now i don't know if i'll choose the GMF piece

You said "the differences on this YM are many and both GMF and BP are far from each other". Could you tell the difference between them? It seems is the same watch..

My intention for the QCs is, of course, is try to see if it have some flaws but i'm not an expert, in fact I have no idea, so I could use some eyes used to these things

VG87

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
30/5/21
Thank you, but now i don't know if i'll choose the GMF piece

You said "the differences on this YM are many and both GMF and BP are far from each other". Could you tell the difference between them? It seems is the same watch..

My intention for the QCs is, of course, is try to see if it have some flaws but i'm not an expert, in fact I have no idea, so I could use some eyes used to these things

I literally mentioned two major differences in the brackets of the message you quoted. To be honest with you, after this small review from OP which I found really helpful and after seeing this sales thread: https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...79307-eu-c-r-new-rolex-yachtmaster-226659-gmf I even started having doubts whether I really own a GMF or it is a different model (because as you can see on my pics, the piece looks closer to 3EF than BP). I'm sure I had seen a GMF on Jtime's website and compared it to mine and looked the same (even the first 3 digits of the serial number were same). But after seeing KJ2020 's post with the "newer" GMF on TD websites, I don't know what to believe anymore :p

I'm quite sure TDs know what they get from the factories. You can start a conversation with one and he might know (or be able to find out and assist) the differences between BP and GMF.

Hop3

1/11/21
Trusty and Jtime both show GMF to have rehaut engraving identical to BP and insert triangle also. So there is really no way to differentiate the two without a metal analysis. As always there may be some minor batch deviations even within the same factory.

This VVSF is a fake VSF? https://puretimewatch.io/yacht-mast...ramic-bezel-on-black-rubber-strap-sa3235.html
And JDF is another factory? Comes with VR3235 https://puretimewatch.io/yacht-mast...ceramic-bezel-on-oysterflex-strap-vr3235.html

You know them? Could you tell something about these models? Do you think then is worth GMF model for the 904L stainless steel? I appreciate the fact that you can adjust the date like the original like you said before.

I can't see the difference in the triangle, it seems shorter?