• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VSF3235 - VR3235 Comparison

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
KJ2020 or oascom, do you know if the VS3235 movement will accept a VR3235 balance and balance complete without any modification?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
KJ2020 or oascom, do you know if the VS3235 movement will accept a VR3235 balance and balance complete without any modification?

I've not ever tried that bro but I think Triplock has. The bottom side of the VR is more like a 3235 despite the top side being more like a 3135. The balance and bridge look very similar between the two but there would probably be some hit or miss differences even between different samples. It wouldn't hurt to try if you are really careful handling the balance assemblies.

zDibEi.jpg

The VR has a fake deco plate of course and the regulator arms are on the opposite side but that shouldn't matter as long as the interaction between the balance and the pallet fork is OK.

Reactions: WatchSmith.US

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
I've not ever tried that bro but I think Triplock has. The bottom side of the VR is more like a 3235 despite the top side being more like a 3135. The balance and bridge look very similar between the two but there would probably be some hit or miss differences even between different samples. It wouldn't hurt to try if you are really careful handling the balance assemblies.

zDibEi.jpg

The VR has a fake deco plate of course and the regulator arms are on the opposite side but that shouldn't matter as long as the interaction between the balance and the pallet fork is OK.

Thanks mate. I don't have the VR on hand, but if it was compatible, I was going to order one, as swapping the balance seemed like a good alternative to replacing the entire movement with a VR and then replacing the stem.

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16

zDibEi.jpg

IIRC the VR32xx has a 3135 style pallet fork and escape wheel and the VS3235 is like gen, so they wouldn’t be compatible. But I have not tried it.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks mate. I don't have the VR on hand, but if it was compatible, I was going to order one, as swapping the balance seemed like a good alternative to replacing the entire movement with a VR and then replacing the stem.

It was a good thought, and maybe...

But I can now say definitively it's a no go.

I tried it out since I had the parts. The pallet forks are different as Triplock noted.

zDmwTt.jpg

But the orientations of the jewel (impulse pin) were the same so I gave it a shot

zDm4b2.jpg

Initially the balance swung freely but as I tightened the screws it stuck.

So the VR staff was either longer or the bridge sat too low (no spacer)

zDmkoF.jpg

The VR balance does not have a functioning height adjustment screw. The VS has a gear on the bottom that also acts a spacer.

I tried swapping the VR screw to the bottom and was able to tighten that side with free swinging, and the pallet fork and escape wheel were working.
zDmdD5.jpg

But when I tightened the other side it stuck again. I think maybe with a spacer on the other side it could be made to work but no telling if good performance could be managed. I stopped short of pursuing further mods since the objective here was to make this an easier swap, not a harder one.

So now we know.

Last edited:

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
It was a good thought, and maybe...

But I can now say definitively it's a no go.

I tried it out since I had the parts. The pallet forks are different as Triplock noted.

But the orientations of the jewel (impulse pin) were the same so I gave it a shot

Initially the balance swung freely but as I tightened the screws it stuck.

So the VR staff was either longer or the bridge sat too low (no spacer)

Neither balance has a functioning height adjustment screw but the VS has a gear on the bottom that acts a spacer.

I tried swapping the VR screw to the bottom and was able to tighten that side with free swinging, and the pallet fork and escape wheel were working.

But when I tightened the other side it stuck again. I think maybe with a spacer on the other side it could be made to work but no telling if good performance could be managed. I stopped short of pursuing further mods since the objective here was to make this an easier swap, not a harder one.

So now we know.

Man, I'm speechless. Thanks for taking the time and effort to do this! Saved me loads of time and money. :notworthy:

I've ordered a replacement VS 3235 balance bridge and complete; hopefully it arrives intact and healthy.

This jewel was loose in the movement. I can only hope it's the balance pivot jewel which accompanied the cap jewel?... And that the cap jewel and spring ended up outside the movement when the spring popped off (it wasn't clipped in on one side when this incident occurred, and when I tried to clip it in, I missed and it went flying somewhere).

zDmvR3.jpg

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
Neither balance has a functioning height adjustment screw but the VS has a gear on the bottom that acts a spacer.

KJ, Are you referring to the adjustment screw on the right side of the balance bridge as being cosmetic only for both VS and VR?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
KJ, Are you referring to the adjustment screw on the right side of the balance bridge as being cosmetic only for both VS and VR?

Sorry I stated that wrong. The VS screw does work to raise or lower the gear on the balance screw post. So you could set that gear to some elevated height manually and it should stay there with the balance screw anchored down. The VR screw does not have an intermediate gear attached to work the screw post gear, nor is the VS intermediate gear on the bridge easily removable to try to swap it over.

Then a determined modder could try some thin spacer on the other side to lift the whole balance slightly and maybe get it to work. This is something I've had to do occasionally to get aftermarket ETA balances to work since they have no height adjustment either.

Just a piece of thin metal shaped and thinned. I put some Sharpie on it to make it stand out in case someone else ever works on it.

qG48E.jpg

qGwL2.jpg

qGXpF.jpg

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
This jewel was loose in the movement. I can only hope it's the balance pivot jewel which accompanied the cap jewel?... And that the cap jewel and spring ended up outside the movement when the spring popped off (it wasn't clipped in on one side when this incident occurred, and when I tried to clip it in, I missed and it went flying somewhere).

A good practice for dealing with shock settings is to cover the movement with a sheet of cling wrap (saran wrap) and then poke your tools through the wrap to manipulate the parts. This means that small springy parts can't launch themselves into orbit. Hat tip to Triplock who gave me this tip.

Helllaw

Looking Around
28/6/21
Hi everyone 👋
My VSF Sub is broke. What do you think is it possible to replace VS movement with VR movement? Is it worth it?
TRUSTYTIME told me that the VS movement was out of stock and I should send my Sub in for repair for $100. Should I send them my Sub or order a new VR movement? Thanks a lot for advice!🙏

Reactions: Javi23

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
Hi everyone 👋
My VSF Sub is broke. What do you think is it possible to replace VS movement with VR movement? Is it worth it?
TRUSTYTIME told me that the VS movement was out of stock and I should send my Sub in for repair for $100. Should I send them my Sub or order a new VR movement? Thanks a lot for advice!🙏
If it only costs $100 to repair I would repair it. The problem is if you need parts it will likely be much more expensive because it's extremely difficult to get VSF movement parts and there are very few aftermarket 3235 parts being made (many are under patent for 10+ more years)...which mean you are stuck with going gen for replacement parts, and that can be painful to the wallet!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Hi everyone 👋

VR movement will fit 1:1 and take the same hands. I would not send a rep back to China, it's more customs risks and possible shipping loss plus excessive time delays.

You can ask @thrillofhunt if he still has some movements.

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
That is a very good point @KJ2020 about not sending back to China. @Helllaw if you can get it repaired locally for $100, I would go for it. Much more than $100, I would seriously consider the VR3235. You could probably recoup much of the cost of the VR3235 by selling the non-working VS3235, given the scarcity of parts for this movement.

Reactions: StrangwaysAtoll

masterpiece777

17/6/19
EUROPE
@KJ2020 what I have read here on the forum a VR3235 is basically a decorated 3135 movement.
i want to make Franken build of a 116622 3135 but since noob is gone and ARF have only 2824 cases available for last 2 years.
I am stuck with all gen parts.
my question is would a VS3135 fit in the new CF 126622 with VR3235.
and will this be a straight fit without any mods?

Would really appreciate any help

All_Heart

Known Member
26/8/21
@KJ2020
“…what I have read here on the forum a VR3235 is basically a decorated 3135 movement.”

“…would a VS3135 fit in the new CF 126622 with VR3235. and will this be a straight fit without any mods?”

VR3235 is only 3135 on the Datewheel side but would not fit a 3135-600 datewheel seating or a datewheel clone/gen.

It would be very difficult to secure the smaller diameter 3135 in a 3235 case. It might dislodge as you work the crown.

Reactions: masterpiece777

masterpiece777

17/6/19
EUROPE
VR3235 is only 3135 on the Datewheel side but would not fit a 3135-600 datewheel seating or a datewheel clone/gen.

It would be very difficult to secure the smaller diameter 3135 in a 3235 case. It might dislodge as you work the crown.
Make sense indeed..
Thanks for you’re help.
Hope there’s any solution so a can go a head after 2 years..

gensc

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/7/22
Thanks for the absolute goldmine of information on this thread surrounding these movements!

Are VS3235 and VR3235 dials easily interchangeable? Specifically asking for a sub if it makes a difference.

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
Thanks for the absolute goldmine of information on this thread surrounding these movements!

Are VS3235 and VR3235 dials easily interchangeable? Specifically asking for a sub if it makes a difference.
Yes they should be interchangeable since both movements use the same dial structure.