• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Beat Error on 3235 Clone Movement

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland

Hello folks

I have a question, I have a QC part (already green, ask anyway) present a RF Starbucks. The work is an R3235 clone, so this new Hybrid 3235. I was a little puzzled by the beat error.
The TD says it's ok in the QC. you just read various things on the bloody internet. Can someone inform me whether these 0.5ms have to go straight to the watchmaker?

Of course, 0.0ms is better, but in principle, according to my research, the gang deviations themselves do not harm the work, right?

would be happy to receive any input or experience from you!

greets Sam

jkrw247

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/21
Beat error is just how long the balance takes to swing from 1 side to the other. You can easily open the case to regulate it yourself.

Last edited:

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
0.5 is usually considered the maximum allowable amount of beat error. So technically you’re within spec but watchmakers normally adjust for 0.0 or 0.1. It’s a measurement of the symmetry of the balance wheel’s swing in each direction. You can adjust yourself if you have a timegrapher but i don’t think service is urgent unless you want some peace of mind knowing your movement is running at its best.

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
If its not the cause that something breaks soon i dont care:) thats why i asked..

It won't harm the movement bro. Also, if you've never regulated a movement I wouldn't start with this one. Practice on a cheap rep movement first to get a feel for how the adjustment arms work.

Adjusting beat error is more challenging than adjusting s/d, and the adjustment arms on this next-gen 3235 hybrid are on the opposite side of the balance assembly and inconvenient to access.

The fake free sprung balance arm on the front side of the RF balance is a decoration and does nothing.

j5eizK.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: derjenigewelcher

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
KJ2020

Thanks for your inputs, appreciate it! Ok then I will let it be as it is:)
I also looked on "witschi" homepage, there you see that 0-0.5ms is in range of a good movement.

Reactions: KJ2020