• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The prefect collection: When does it stop?

Yacht-Monster

The entertainer previously known as Roughwatch
Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
Hi all,

Curious to hear about the perfect collection (and about rep hoarding too). I went from gens as a young adult, mostly low to mid tier Swiss watches, to Asian holiday market reps of watches I could never justify buying, then fast forward a few decades and I've been building a collection which is a mix of my gens and reps from TDs listed here. The rep game at this level is fascinating, especially as I was a watch buff before discovering this side of the scene so the idea of cloned movements and super reps is a world I never thought existed.

My question is, did the more experienced rep collectors start out with an idea of the perfect collection, or just go all out like a starving man who discovered all you can eat buffets? I built my collection with my first few large purchases, but have since been adding and swapping certain reps for the same one from other factories, so I think I'll be just trying to perfect that ideal, yet small collection (although I can see how some want to expand theirs).

Interested to hear your thoughts. Cheers.

EuroTime25

Lost Soul of Watches
Supporter
Certified
24/7/20
West USA
Well I been telling my wife this is the final watch to my collection that I ever wanted for years now. So by the looks of it this hobby im almost never ending as more new watches will come out.

P..DR..D

- Pátrún Bródúil -
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
I recall a scene in 'Money Never Sleeps' when Shia LaBeouf asks Josh Brolin:

"See I find that everybody has a number, and it's usually an exact number, so what's yours?"

"More"

(https://youtu.be/8VsZr5KGNGM)

For me, its probably when I stop getting a little buzz from the initial visual appeal (be it gen or rep) followed by the research, then the purchase and the anticipation of receiving.

Hasn't happened yet, may never happen, so until then, "more" ;)

Last edited:

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Like EuroTime25 , for about 3 years I've been telling my wife over and over that the watch I've just bought is the last one I need for my collection to be complete - and that it's okay anyway, because I'm about to run out of watch box space. Then I run out of space, buy another watch box, and the cycle continues another dozen times.