• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GMF Yacht-Master 116622 rhodium mini-review

Yacht-Monster

The entertainer previously known as Roughwatch
Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
Hi all,

Thought I'd post a small review of a GMF Yacht-Master I just bought through Steve and The One Watches. First of all, there were some defects with the watch upon arrival (movement and bracelet) but Steve has been amazing and is allowing a return for repair. I've asked around my local area if any smith would work on it and I'm out of luck, so back she goes. Posting this mostly because there aren't too many images of these outside the TD websites and it's the most expensive YM out there.

BTW: If anyone is selling the ARF or Noob versions of this watch, please PM me and name your price (within reason haha).

Excuse the photos, no macro lens here, just a smart phone.

Pros
Dial: Although the rhodium is a little too dark compared to the gen, they've nailed the colour of the blue print so it matches the second hand. This is a big plus.
Date: Although a little off to the left, the print is very nice, not thick like some other reps.
Hands: Very nice, nothing stands out for te wrong reasons.
Case: Overall very close to the gen. Dimensions measure correct compared to the gen specs.
Crown: Can't tell on the photos, but there's no difference that's noticeable.

Cons
Strap: Feels cheap and mine arrived with a defect. The pins that connects the short side of the strap keeps coming loose, looks like the hold the pin hooks to isn't deep enough. See photo but it shifts from right to straight.
Bezel: This has pros and cons associated with it. Pro is the sand blasting effect looks like the gen. Cons are that the numerals are too think and the bezel clicks worse than a low end rep. Overall the ARF and Noob versions are much better.
Rehaut: Possibly the biggest disappointment. It's not as deep as the gen or other reps and the lettering seems smaller, but that might be because it's not as deep. This is a huge tell compared to other reps. My brother has a dhgate crapper of the same watch and that has a closer rehaut than this.

Overall, there's lots to like but also lots to feel disappointed about at first glance. This is the most expensive YM rep out there and it's not near the quality I'd expect but that's the gamble. If I compare this to VSF or Noob clones I have this isn't quite worth the money. I'd recommend going for the ARF when available, or since BP is the lower tier of GMF, just get the BP version that uses 316L instead. Had I paid $300 for this then it'd be okay, but it's not worth $478 USD. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind it and if it hadn't arrived DOA then I'd be wearing it in right now. Just wanted to give an honest review as I couldn't find much out there when I was on the market.
jWRZKi.jpg
jWRzMp.jpg
jWRj1b.jpg
jWRHD5.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020 and Itto

Yacht-Monster

Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
Forgot to give it a rating. I'd give this 7.8 (notwithstanding the issues mine has which I'm sure are uncommon). If the rehaut and bezel was corrected it would be perfect. Overall not bad.

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20
Here’s the ARF 37mm.. crap crown guards (partly due to the non clone movement) but it’s built like a tank, very good quality and finish. Lovely hands, excellent cyclops, there’s a lot good about, great value.

Reactions: Yacht-Monster

Itto

Bizzarro Superman
Patron
Certified
26/9/17
The 9th gate
Thanks for the write up.

I really want to get a 116622 (again) and had a very VERY close look at the ARF - but unfortunately i think the cg's ruin it for me.
I don't even know why i sold my noob, to begin with.. heck, what's wrong with me?

Reactions: Yacht-Monster

Yacht-Monster

Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
Thanks for the write up.

I really want to get a 116622 (again) and had a very VERY close look at the ARF - but unfortunately i think the cg's ruin it for me.
I don't even know why i sold my noob, to begin with.. heck, what's wrong with me?

The Noob was the holy grail of these reps. ARF comes close but that blue writing on the dial would annoy me.

Reactions: KJ2020