• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New GMF Explorer II v4?

watchguyusa1

I'm Pretty Popular
1/10/06
Boca Raton Florida USA
But wait, did you really get a BP and not a GMF? If so, what movement does it have?

Here is the exact watch and it has the SA gmt movement that the “GMF” version that is 904L has ,I asked Li specific questions about this movement,and he confirmed it IS NOT a eta modified movement and is clone movement like the VR3185 , Li actually recommended NOT to buy this version as it is not reliable! But I want to swap out to a vr3185 anyways so it was ok ,Li sent me the qc video showing the time and date setting and it is as follows
crown turning clockwise hands move clockwise setting the time
crown turning counter-clockwise turns the jumping hour hand clockwise to set the date ,which is unlike the vr3185 which is both clockwise when crown clockwise date and time setting

https://jtime.io/us/explorer-ii-42mm...ial-a3187.html

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
can the sa movement be serviced to be reliable? Or is this movement just as bad as a SA3135 movement?

It's not servicing as much as it is poor design and cheap proprietary parts on the SA3135. Even the stem is not gen-spec. The first release SA3285 with GMT narrow DW was not well received here and not many were bought AFAIK. There is some feedback on them in the thread below.

GMF released true clone 3285

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Here is the exact watch and it has the SA gmt movement that the “GMF” version that is 904L has ,I asked Li specific questions about this movement,and he confirmed it IS NOT a eta modified movement and is clone movement like the VR3185 , Li actually recommended NOT to buy this version as it is not reliable! But I want to swap out to a vr3185 anyways so it was ok ,Li sent me the qc video showing the time and date setting and it is as follows
crown turning clockwise hands move clockwise setting the time
crown turning counter-clockwise turns the jumping hour hand clockwise to set the date ,which is unlike the vr3185 which is both clockwise when crown clockwise date and time setting

https://jtime.io/us/explorer-ii-42mm...ial-a3187.html

Ah OK, that's an SA3187 not an SA3285.

jow6DF.jpg

It's still based on the SA3135, note identical balance assemblies. The SA3285 sets time the opposite way and hour jumps in the same way as the SA3187 (both are same as gen for time setting, the SA3187 is wrong for hour jumping).

The SA3187 will also have a wide datewheel to accommodate the EXP42 dial but maybe its date plate (with datewheel) could be swapped onto a VR3185. The VR3185 will take gen hands.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elno38

watchguyusa1

I'm Pretty Popular
1/10/06
Boca Raton Florida USA
KJ2020

ok well there is a some hope then
i have a gen dial and hands so hopefully everything will work with the VR3185, then I will have a nice working reliable explorer!
If it doesn’t work , I might have to abandon the franken project and just go gen

Reactions: Elno38 and KJ2020

Swiss_goupil

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/12/19
Last Kingdom
KJ2020

ok well there is a some hope then
i have a gen dial and hands so hopefully everything will work with the VR3185, then I will have a nice working reliable explorer!
If it doesn’t work , I might have to abandon the franken project and just go gen

Fantastic and very interesting project. Please keep us posted on progress. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Elno38

watchguyusa1

I'm Pretty Popular
1/10/06
Boca Raton Florida USA
Hello all
just wanted to update my project
the “SA-3187” that is in this new bp/gmf Explorer ii has date not in the gen position, My gen dials date window doesn’t line up with the date,Mike tried to use a gen Rolex 3187 date wheel plate and it will not work with this movement
he said I need a “ARF 3186” only that will work with the gen date wheel plate ,which we are trying to source ,he said the movement has to come from a Arf watch ,and that movement cannot be purchased separately, interesting ... I understood that the Arf was using a “SH3186 “ but apparently not?
hopefully should be done in the next few weeks...
KJ2020

Swiss_goupil

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Hello all
just wanted to update my project
the “SA-3187” that is in this new bp/gmf Explorer ii has date not in the gen position, My gen dials date window doesn’t line up with the date,Mike tried to use a gen Rolex 3187 date wheel plate and it will not work with this movement
he said I need a “ARF 3186” only that will work with the gen date wheel plate ,which we are trying to source ,he said the movement has to come from a Arf watch ,and that movement cannot be purchased separately, interesting ... I understood that the Arf was using a “SH3186 “ but apparently not?
hopefully should be done in the next few weeks...
KJ2020

Swiss_goupil

The ARF does use an SH3186, but apparently it isn't available new separately. That doesn't mean you can't buy one separately from M2M, just that TDs or Ali Express etc, won't have one to source. You are going to want to use some gen parts in the SH3186, I know Mike will guide you well. I know I saw one recently in the sales section. Bummer about the GMF dial - another shortcut with their movements, smh.

There was another project like this done recently by Spongebob, see link below.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...ustom-cal-3187

Last edited:

pandita510

Horology Curious
26/4/22
I just messaged J, apparently this watch now has a VR3186 which he says is much more reliable.

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Any news on this? Is it really a VR3186 movement and not the crappy ones?

This is seems unlikely. The date window on the Explorer II dial isn't in the right place to display the date from a standard VR3186 movement. The VR3186 movement used in the GMT Master would need to be modified to allow for a larger diameter date wheel to be fitted so that the date would display correctly in the Explorer II dial's date window. While such modifications wouldn't be a challenge for a movement factory; an update to the movement is the kind of thing that would likely result in an announcement of some sort. It would be the kind of thing that you'd see a TD make a thread about here on RWI. And while I don't want to pour cold water on the possibility of an Explorer II with a correct-hand-stack non-time-bomb movement; without a confirmation (perhaps with a screenshot of the message) from a TD, I won't be holding my breath in anticipation.

Reactions: KJ2020