• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Clean your CF Ceramic Bezel

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
Hi all,

This might sound logical, but it didn't occur to me even for someone who owns 4 Noob Daytonas.

I recently got a piece from M2M and the CF bezel looks horrible in terms of its brightness, so I looked under the loupe and saw quite a lot of debri within the lettering. Under a loupe, I have used a toothpick to slowly dug out the debri and it seems to do the trick and it didn't scratch the plating off (hence why I didn't use a needle).

I hope is a good tip for everyone, as your bezel might not be fading, but simply dirty.

Reactions: Dayto and Join3d

Join3d

19/8/16
EU
Thanks for sharing. It's easy to get them faded but multiple users said that solved by cleaning it.
I'm curious to know some other tips by other members to correctly clean CF inserts.

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
Soap and water, using a soft toothbrush.
I tried that.. Even with my electric toothbrush... For some reason it didn't get through some debri at the edges for the some letters.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I tried that.. Even with my electric toothbrush... For some reason it didn't get through some debri at the edges for the some letters.
No, your technique sounds far more thorough - I’m not surprised that it does a better job.

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
No, your technique sounds far more thorough - I’m not surprised that it does a better job.

I wouldn't use an electric toothbrush because the paint from the digits on rep inserts will wear off over time. If it was sputter coated then, go for it. Even gen sputter coats do get dark (may look dirty or patina like) over time.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I wouldn't use an electric toothbrush
I don’t. And nor does philwongnz - he mentioned it in reply to my post where I said I use a soft toothbrush, but he only mentioned it in the context of saying it doesn’t work. So, neither of us use an electric toothbrush. :)

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
I don’t. And nor does philwongnz - he mentioned it in reply to my post where I said I use a soft toothbrush, but he only mentioned it in the context of saying it doesn’t work. So, neither of us use an electric toothbrush. :)

ok np. I understood the post as OP used an electric one.

Hidenjoy

Renowned Member
8/9/15
CF is fading everybody know that. The question. Is.

Is it dirt ? Can we clean it normally with water and toothbrush or it will drop off the platinium ?

We need a before after pics. And tutorial.

Reactions: Join3d

Itto

Bizzarro Superman
Patron
Certified
26/9/17
The 9th gate
It is indeed dirt. For some reason, it gets really deep into the plating. I sometimes scratch it out with a fine needle, aggressively, no joke. Everytime I'm doing this, i think "what am i doing here" - but the dirt gets removed, plating stays intact.

Reactions: Hidenjoy

Hidenjoy

Renowned Member
8/9/15
It is indeed dirt. For some reason, it gets really deep into the plating. I sometimes scratch it out with a fine needle, aggressively, no joke. Everytime I'm doing this, i think "what am i doing here" - but the dirt gets removed, plating stays intact.

Can you post pictures ?