• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Building the perfect Rolex Daytona 116500LN franken :) Gen vs Rep (Pic Heavy)

16520A

Horology Curious
11/11/08
Thanks for this, I'm currently in the process of building this. I was on the fence with replacing the hands but it seems it is a must.

I was lucky enough to source the ARF dial as well. Her e we go!

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
ARF dial is clearly better than that noob. I'm curious to see more details about the case though. Noob case seems a bit too straight, I might be wrong.

Anyway we are keeping an eye on M2M to see when you drop these reps ahahah

rankiba

Renowned Member
26/4/13
Thanks for a great post. I'm waiting for my 116520 franken build from my watchmaker (I prefer the SS bezel). It's a Noob v4, gen dial, gen hands, CF bezel. My bracelet is from londonwatchparts. Don't know where it was manufactured, but it's definitely a step above the Noob bracelet. We'll see how it all turns out.

Could you possibly post a side-by-side of your gen and your chosen rep? Thanks again.

Do you feel londonwatchparts stuff are different than others? I was hesitant in buying stuff from LWP thinking it might be a dropshipping business.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Nice post. Thanks for sharing. Both new and old builds look very good and more than just passable outside RWI.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: 2841 and SuperLory

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
ARF dial is clearly better than that noob. I'm curious to see more details about the case though. Noob case seems a bit too straight, I might be wrong.

Anyway we are keeping an eye on M2M to see when you drop these reps ahahah

ARF is without doubt the dial to go for.

In regards to the case, pretty much every detail is wrong on the Noob v4 case, the curves, the whole rigt side is to fat, the CG. But it’s not a lot, and it only becomes obvious when you are used to looking at the gen

Reactions: SuperLory

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
I've gotten a lot of PMs about prices, so here is the price breakdown on both watches. (I dont remember the exact amounts, so its a rough estimate :) )

NEW BUILD:
Noob v4: 700 USD
Gen hands: 550 USD
CF bezel: 160 USD
gen spec crystal gasket:30 USD
ARF bracelet: 170 USD
ARF dial: 150 USD
Movement service: 280 USD
Modder work (Service and dial shave/installment):180 USD
My work: Priceless :)

So a total would be roughly 2220 USD(+ the hundreds of dollars i spent on shipping everything around the world 3 times :)

OLD BUILD:
Noob v2.2: 700 USD
CF bezel: 160 USD
gen spec crystal gasket:30 USD
ARF bracelet: 170 USD
My work: Priceless :)

So a total would be roughly 1060 USD

g-yice

Repper 2.0
Patron
Gold Patron
Certified
8/8/21
EU
[No message]

Attachments

• photo34268.jpg
    photo34268.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 0

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
Very interesting. Customs work in mysterious ways. Sometimes there’s no denying that some things are meant to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gpvecchi

4/7/12
In regards to the case, pretty much every detail is wrong on the Noob v4 case, the curves, the whole rigt side is to fat, the CG. But it’s not a lot, and it only becomes obvious when you are used to looking at the gen

That's what I always said, Noob case is completely off, but everybody never trusted me.

sfbatman787

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
17/4/17
That's what I always said, Noob case is completely off, but everybody never trusted me.
There is not a single rep case that is 1:1 to gen. Every rep case has its flaws, that's why some of us end up using gen cases if you are looking for perfection. Show me another noob alternative that will take gen parts without some serious modifications. So you pointing out the obvious helps no one.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

gekkehenkie

Renowned Member
21/7/14
ARF is without doubt the dial to go for.

It would be nice if you could upload some pictures as comparison.

Reactions: SuperLory

BoulderJ

7/5/21
Do you feel londonwatchparts stuff are different than others? I was hesitant in buying stuff from LWP thinking it might be a dropshipping business.

At this point the LWP bracelet I bought is with my watchmaker for final assembly. I had it in hand for about a week and the only basis for comparison I had was the Noob bracelet that came with my v4 Daytona. In that comparison (by a non-expert, me), the LWP bracelet looks and feels much better that the Noob in finish and the operation of the clasp. I don't know how it stacks up against ARF or CF bracelets. I did find LWP very easy to deal with. I ordered the wrong model (for a Submariner) and they exchanged it no problem. Shipping from the UK to me (Colorado) was fast (less than a week).

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
Thanks for all the positive feedback both here and on PMs :)

I've had A LOT of PMs regarding requests to buy the builds.

The status is this:

Both ARF Daytona's are sold
The Noob v2.2 build is on offer in a reserved deal, if that falls trough, there is a handful of people who are next in line.
The Noob v4 build will stay with me for the time being

Reactions: elflako17

miauwww

Horology Curious
26/4/19
Thanks for all the positive feedback both here and on PMs :)

I've had A LOT of PMs regarding requests to buy the builds.

The status is this:

Both ARF Daytona's are sold
The Noob v2.2 build is on offer in a reserved deal, if that falls trough, there is a handful of people who are next in line.
The Noob v4 build will stay with me for the time being
And what about your gen Daytona. Is that one also on the market :p

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
There is not a single rep case that is 1:1 to gen. Every rep case has its flaws, that's why some of us end up using gen cases if you are looking for perfection. Show me another noob alternative that will take gen parts without some serious modifications. So you pointing out the obvious helps no one.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

There is enough metal on the Noob to do a case reshape. That is the only way you will get a case that's close to the gen. Again, if you dont have the gen next to it, or see the gen everyday, you are proberbly not going to notice :)

damocles

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
21/12/15
2841 You mentioned you got your gen at an AD after being on the waiting list for quite some time. Did you actually get this watch at retail 12400 USD? That's insane.