• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New Clean Factory DJ41 3235

JonathanLing91

Renowned Member
18/1/20
Hello everyone,
I hope this is the right place to post this. I didn't wanna start a new thread but i'm hoping someone here can help me out. I've always had an appreciation for the datejust, specifically the two tone steel and yellow gold one and have been recently ruminating over building myself a franken of the two-tone steel/gold datejust 41. At the moment I am thinking about using...
  • CF Datejust 41 Case w/serviced movement
  • Gen champagne/yellow dial
  • Gen Xtal
  • Gen DW
  • Gen fluted gold bezel
  • Gen two tone jubilee bracelet
All of the aforementioned parts are relatively easy to source with the exception of the two tone jubilee bracelet. I've been looking for a while now (C24, ebay, and even startimesupply). Startime has some of the vintage ones but not the modern jubilee with a modern oyster clasp. So, I am considering using the CF stainless steel jubilee bracelet and having it wrapped. Not only will this save me the hassle of endlessly searching for a gen two tone jubilee, but will also save me quite a bit of $$$. The only thing holding me back from doing this is the weight difference between the SS jubilee and the two-tone jubilee. I like my watches to be a bit heavier and I believe having the added heft of genuine gold will really add to my personal enjoyment of the watch.

SO, here is my question/request. Would it be possible for someone with a gen two tone Datejust (126333) to weigh theirs for me and to compare it with the weight of the SS CF datejust. If the difference is insignificant (~10 grams) I think ill just go the wrapped route (If i remember correctly the difference between a 116613lb/ln and a 116610 is only 14 grams). However, if the difference is fairly significant (>20 grams) I might just end up springing for the gen. Any and all help would be appreciated regarding this matter. Thanks in advance.

JL

Hushhh

Horology Curious
15/2/22
France
Yes, I saw that there are different/many opinions, but I would like to have that of the most experienced in the field. In particular theirs opinions on who makes the best black dial and the best bracelet for the DJ.

Hushhh

Horology Curious
15/2/22
France
Yes, I saw that there are different/many opinions, but I would like to have that of the most experienced in the field. In particular their opinions on who makes the best black dial and the best bracelet for the DJ. Thanks in advance

Ylijumala

1/3/21
In the Soviet EU
Yes, I saw that there are different/many opinions, but I would like to have that of the most experienced in the field. In particular their opinions on who makes the best black dial and the best bracelet for the DJ. Thanks in advance

"Best" is subjective. Read this thread and form your own opinion.

Reactions: Tobel

Swiss_goupil

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/12/19
Last Kingdom
Hello everyone,
I hope this is the right place to post this. I didn't wanna start a new thread but i'm hoping someone here can help me out. I've always had an appreciation for the datejust, specifically the two tone steel and yellow gold one and have been recently ruminating over building myself a franken of the two-tone steel/gold datejust 41. At the moment I am thinking about using...
  • Gen Xtal
  • Gen DW
  • Gen fluted gold bezel
All of the aforementioned parts are relatively easy to source with the exception of the two tone jubilee bracelet. I've been looking for a while now (C24, ebay, and even startimesupply). Startime has some of the vintage ones but not the modern jubilee with a modern oyster clasp. So, I am considering using the CF stainless steel jubilee bracelet and having it wrapped. Not only will this save me the hassle of endlessly searching for a gen two tone jubilee, but will also save me quite a bit of $$$. The only thing holding me back from doing this is the weight difference between the SS jubilee and the two-tone jubilee. I like my watches to be a bit heavier and I believe having the added heft of genuine gold will really add to my personal enjoyment of the watch.

SO, here is my question/request. Would it be possible for someone with a gen two tone Datejust (126333) to weigh theirs for me and to compare it with the weight of the SS CF datejust. If the difference is insignificant (~10 grams) I think ill just go the wrapped route (If i remember correctly the difference between a 116613lb/ln and a 116610 is only 14 grams). However, if the difference is fairly significant (>20 grams) I might just end up springing for the gen. Any and all help would be appreciated regarding this matter. Thanks in advance.

JL

Don’t forget the golden hands :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JonathanLing91

enduser

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
29/7/20
UK
  • Gen Xtal
  • Gen DW
  • Gen fluted gold bezel

If you take off the gen bracelet, that's actually quite a cost effective (and lovely) franken at say £2,500 for all the parts, including the base CF, hands and crown. Weight considerations aside, would you be happy with the quality of a wrapped bracelet?

Reactions: JonathanLing91

thopie

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/12/18
next to mars!
j7my9K.jpg

also is the stem meant to be shorter on the CF?

The right one is a (ETA)2824 Steam. It is very unlikely that it's from a 3235. :thinking:

Last edited:
Reactions: Tijdwijzer

ApIcedOutt

5/6/19
Guys I know we’re not allowed to ask about QC.
I’m not sure if that’s an angel of date wheel is misaligned.
“4” date seems to Low from pictures, which kinda bother me..

Tijdwijzer

Renowned Member
24/11/20
Europe
Guys I know we’re not allowed to ask about QC.
I’m not sure if that’s an angel of date wheel is misaligned.
“4” date seems to Low from pictures, which kinda bother me..

You're allowed if you point out the flaws yourself. And yes you're right. The date is off. I wouldn't accept. Or you should send it right away to a watchmaker to fix it.
​​​

Tijdwijzer

Renowned Member
24/11/20
Europe
Has anyone polished the rehaut or used a full double AR coated crystal? My cf dj41 rehaut isn't visable as much as the Gen is.

​​​​

ApIcedOutt

5/6/19
You're allowed if you point out the flaws yourself. And yes you're right. The date is off. I wouldn't accept. Or you should send it right away to a watchmaker to fix it.
​​​

Thank you for pointing it out and letting me know.

https://imgur.com/a/vcZPuYk

This is full QC pics. Last pic is a video with the number “4” I’m not sure there if it’s ok barely can catch it.
Will a TD fix it or rather will get a replacement watch if I RL?

JonathanLing91

Renowned Member
18/1/20
Don’t forget the golden hands :)

I’m gonna be honest, I personally can’t see the difference between Gen hands and rep hands from a color perspective from an arms length. I’m not sure if it’s worth it if I end up going for a more cost effective build. If I decide to go all out, Gen hands it is.

JonathanLing91

Renowned Member
18/1/20
If you take off the gen bracelet, that's actually quite a cost effective (and lovely) franken at say £2,500 for all the parts, including the base CF, hands and crown. Weight considerations aside, would you be happy with the quality of a wrapped bracelet?

So I have a CF Daytona and a few ARF watches, all with the oyster bracelet. The quality is fantastic and I’m very happy with it, not worth upgrading to Gen imo. Gen is obviously better, but from a monetary perspective it’s not $2-3k better. That being said, I’ve never owned a jubilee bracelet and I can’t speak to the quality of the CF jubilee. That’s partly why I’m posting on this thread, would really appreciate the input of the people who have owned the CF and owned/extensively handled a Gen. In regards to wrapping, there are some great modders on this forum that i know will do a good job wrapping the bracelet so that’s not a significant concern for me.

So I guess weight and quality of the bracelet are the two big factors that I’d like peoples input on.

Tijdwijzer

Renowned Member
24/11/20
Europe
This is full QC pics. Last pic is a video with the number “4”

Yes, the number 4 sits a bit low, the other numbers look pretty good aligned.
maybe he did swap it manualy, and maybe when it automaticly swaps from 3 to 4 it will be centered. You can ask geektime about this.

Swiss_goupil

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/12/19
Last Kingdom
I’m gonna be honest, I personally can’t see the difference between Gen hands and rep hands from a color perspective from an arms length. I’m not sure if it’s worth it if I end up going for a more cost effective build. If I decide to go all out, Gen hands it is.

Where do you read gen in my comment? The watch you are going to buy will come with SS hands and your build requires gold hands - so you can plate them at the same time you do the bracelet or go gen

JonathanLing91

Renowned Member
18/1/20
Where do you read gen in my comment? The watch you are going to buy will come with SS hands and your build requires gold hands - so you can plate them at the same time you do the bracelet or go gen

You’re totally right. That completely slipped my mind. Gen hands it is.

GG2019

Patron
Certified
23/12/19
Uk
The right one is a (ETA)2824 Steam. It is very unlikely that it's from a 3235. :thinking:

I’ve taken it from the CF DJ41 with the 3235 movement… hmm. I was thinking it should be exactly the same?

can anyone else send in a picture of there CF stem please