• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Easiest way to instantly spot a rep GMT Master II

eazye

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/13
Oh man. Super informative. I can clearly see the comparison pic of a pic of the screen.

Last edited:

stevier88

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
16/12/19
U.K
Heres a photo that a friend that recently purchased a gen after liking the rep so much. It is indeed
instant tell.

Aw shut up with your instant tell BS. At least lookup the word instant in the dictionary please. There’s nothing wrong with discussing flaws etc but when all you can do is waffle about “instant tell” when looking at side by side pictures for hours on end comparing them 10x zoomed in and with a loupe isn’t instant is it? If you seen this on the wrist it certainly wouldn’t be the first flaw you would see and you would need to actually look for it at a closer angle zoomed in or compared with a gen like you have. A bezel with the wrong colour would be more of a tell you would pick up at a glance and notice something wasn’t quite right. That would be instant.

I can guarantee you wouldn’t even have noticed it on someone’s wrist before you sat at your pc zoomed in trying to critique every aspect of the watch.

EuroTime25

Lost Soul of Watches
Supporter
Certified
24/7/20
West USA
Damn. I took that to heart. I drive a base model Honda Civic and I wear a WG Daytona. That doesn’t add up right?

My bad. Aka I do sometimes get out if a Honda Civic Base Coupe 07, we use it as a work car so everyone who needa it borrows it. But in all fairness you are walking around and no one saw you get out of the car.

SillyTom

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/6/21
close to a mouse trap
Ok...
reps have flaws / differnces compared with the original.

So what?

Getting a nice looking sportive automatic watch, which suits my taste for around 500 bucks is fair enough for me.

I have the feeling that this "instant tell" thing may come from persons who have a strange opinion on these topics, while expect to get a real ROLEX from a chinese backyard factory.

Reactions: EuroTime25

weezkid

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
12/1/21
Lane Cove
Easy way ? Other flaws are to be seen before that, and I would'nt call that "easy" unless you have this :

f3f64eb73c226d9a597157f392d0cf79.gif

Envoyé de mon SM-G991B en utilisant Tapatalk

Dang! Six Million Dollar Man?

Reactions: mrsullivan

tlabowski01

Known Member
Supporter
4/9/19
So much hate for pointing out a general flaw, maybe we should just close rwi altogether, theres no need to talk about flaws or room for improvement on rep watches.

You heard it here everyone, time to shut down RWI. We had a good run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fervid

I'm Pretty Popular
5/5/19
Down under
Heres a photo that a friend that recently purchased a gen after liking the rep so much. It is indeed
instant tell.

Hit the streets of Guangzhou and tell them you have vital information regarding the GMT inserts, they should employ you instantly for a 6 figure salary and you can single-handedly save the future of reps, I have good faith in you sir!

Last edited:

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
This is so hilarious lmao.

The crystal is a much bigger tell, you can actually spot it from meters away, since most reps lack the usual BH and Halo effect.

If we are talking about the biggest tells, instead, they would be the person who's wearing it. You are the biggest tell of your rep as people already mentioned.

You aren't gonna spot the triangle at 12 unless you are 20 cm from it, you have a loupe with you, or a gen to compare it next to it.

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20
I can’t even spot the tip of the triangle with my naked eye while wearing the watch therefore a loupe needs to come out, and if someone is getting a loupe out, it’s already game over.

Reactions: Stevenf and weezkid

EuroTime25

Lost Soul of Watches
Supporter
Certified
24/7/20
West USA
To everyone who is saying its a tell you can see it from Meters away.....how fucking good is your eyesight? All I see from Meters away is a watch. Could be Rolex, could be Parnis, my ass cant tell from that distance.

Reactions: Seleo78 and weezkid

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
OP is right. I bought a gen 116710ln (used)and compared the details with the photos online because I kind of want a pepsi 126710. OP is right and this is noticeable if you hold the watch in hand. you dont need lens to see the difference.

Reactions: 759837658

Stevenf

Supporter
Certified
12/7/17
Singapore
Nope, not an instant tell at a distance. The most obvious tell at a distance has to be the blackhole effect of the cyclops, particularly on how it reacts under lighting as the wearer moves his wrist.

retrospex

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/14
Nope, not an instant tell at a distance. The most obvious tell at a distance has to be the blackhole effect of the cyclops, particularly on how it reacts under lighting as the wearer moves his wrist.

I was going to say this. The cyclops is always my major concern on a "well made" rep

effewatch

30/10/18
Europe
biggest tell (for me) is just...how shiny a gen is. it's hard to get close to the way a gen 904 shines under the sun. and that is clear from distance...

OverAfton

Patron
Certified
Originally posted by Stevenf View Post

I was going to say this. The cyclops is always my major concern on a "well made" rep

I have heard people refer to this black hole effect multiple times; would you mind explaining what you mean? Or is it something you can't describe, one must see it?