• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Pricing?

Greg R

Horology Curious
30/7/21
Palm Springs, California
Looking for more advice please.
I see by shopping on line that the prices for the Submariners run from approx. $150 (US) to a little over $500. I know this question is pretty vague but can one purchase a decent watch for less than $200 (US) or would these be considered real junk?
Your guidance is much appreciated.
Cheers, Greg

Reactions: flerens

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
There really isn’t a middle ground. The ones that sell for $150 are easily found for $80 which makes them worth $40.
The good reps are expensive, because they’re good.

Reactions: Greg R

TheChachi

10/9/18
Thank you Hor-Fan.
I really like the Submariner listed on Puretime's website for $458. I think this is the direction I will go.
Greg

VSF is the best OOTB Subamriner rep on the market, IMO, and others, too, of course. Unfortunately, these are highly sought after as the factory has been shut down. A very close alternative would be the ZZF V3 or ZZF V2 if you can find one. Both of these examples pop up here on M2M but they go INSANELY fast! Good luck with the hunt!

Alan Bourdillion Traherne

Renowned Member
6/3/21
CONUS
The only way you could find a quality rep in that $200-$300 range would be to know what you are looking for and keep a sharp eye out in the M2M sales area. Then jump on it when it comes up. They will typically be a few years old and worn but can be in otherwise good condition. Usually its a member that is looking to upgrade or perhaps selling an existing watch to finance another purchase or build. The thing is that you need to check the M2M posts pretty regularly (like a few times a day or more) and be prepared to immediately send the funds once the sale goes green. I recently acquired a nice Noob Sub this way. I also missed out on a few great buys by not pulling the trigger quick enough. But it can be done. Good Luck!

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
The only way you could find a quality rep in that $200-$300 range would be to know what you are looking for and keep a sharp eye out in the M2M sales area. Then jump on it when it comes up. They will typically be a few years old and worn but can be in otherwise good condition. Usually its a member that is looking to upgrade or perhaps selling an existing watch to finance another purchase or build. The thing is that you need to check the M2M posts pretty regularly (like a few times a day or more) and be prepared to immediately send the funds once the sale goes green. I recently acquired a nice Noob Sub this way. I also missed out on a few great buys by not pulling the trigger quick enough. But it can be done. Good Luck!

I have to disagree.
The ZZF Junior are available for USD 288. Absolutely great watches!

https://jtime.io/us/special-discoun...-edition-316l-ss-case-and-bracelet-a2836.html

Greg R

Horology Curious
30/7/21
Palm Springs, California
Well, I tried to make the purchase but apparently they do not accept Visa.
Hmmm?
Perhaps I'll try a different dealer/supplier. I do appreciate you all sharing your knowledge with me.
Greg

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20
Where are you? If you in the UK there’s a TD that takes a payment by bank transfer to a UK acc, that’s how I roll.

zachsdad82

Supporter
Certified
20/2/14
Looking for more advice please.
I see by shopping on line that the prices for the Submariners run from approx. $150 (US) to a little over $500. I know this question is pretty vague but can one purchase a decent watch for less than $200 (US) or would these be considered real junk?
Your guidance is much appreciated.
Cheers, Greg

Hi Greg and welcome to the forum and hobby

I guess the question of price is all down to personal experience and your "eye".

When I started, I purchased a Regmariner from Narikaa. It was/is widely considered as one of, if not the best "bang for buck" replicas you could buy. For under $150 you have a pretty amazing rep, and when I got it, as my entry into the hobby, I was floored by how good it was. SO much better than the $80 offerings on DH and Ali.

And then, as I continued, things that never thought about before started to bother me. The low beat movement. The platinum on the insert...So I sold the reg and upgraded to a Noob with a high beat for roughly double the price. Was the noob "double" the watch of the reg - to some no, to others yes. If you had asked me 6 months earlier, I would have said no. At that time, however, with a bit more experience and knowledge, the price difference was worth paying to me.

I had a mate who purchased a sub from Jason on DHgate. He loves that watch, and would never consider paying more for any watch, let alone a rep. I on the other hand couldnt accept it.

What I am trying to say in a TLDR manner, is that it is horses for courses, and what one person wants or needs, may not be important to someone else.

Good luck with the search!

ZD82

Alan Bourdillion Traherne

Renowned Member
6/3/21
CONUS
I have to disagree.
The ZZF Junior are available for USD 288. Absolutely great watches!

https://jtime.io/us/special-discoun...-edition-316l-ss-case-and-bracelet-a2836.html

Perhaps I should have not said "the only way" and said "a possible way" instead. No doubt there are quality watches available in that price range but I interpreted the intent of OP's post to mean wanting to get higher quality rep (as reflected by new pricing at $400-$500) for less than that price point. A M2M sale is one way to get that, albeit via a used watch. I agree that bargains can be found in the new unit market but they are getting harder and harder to find, especially post-raid.