• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Change the Look of My Repro Rolex?

Greg R

Horology Curious
30/7/21
Palm Springs, California
Hi Guys,
New here and looking for a little help. I have a nice repro Submariner that was a gift from a pilot friend who picked it up in Hong Kong for approx. $100 U.S. several years ago. It's a good quality watch and I wear it regularly. I may be wrong but I believe it is a copy of a model number 16610 if that helps at all.
The watch currently has a black dial and a black bezel insert.

It is due for a cleaning so while I have it at my watch repair shop I would like to change both pieces to green, as I saw one and thought it looked very sharp. I see green dials and bezel inserts are readily available on eBay at reasonable cost but I'm not sure how to determine which ones will fit my watch?

I appreciate any and all input.
Cheers, Greg

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20
Hello, welcome.

None of them will fit, sadly. What you have there is a very poor example, it's junk. Sorry.

Spend some time and look over some of the Submariner threads.

Reactions: Greg R

Fervid

I'm Pretty Popular
5/5/19
Down under
The cost of the parts you're looking for (including labor) would likely cost more than this watch. As above ^

Reactions: Greg R

Greg R

Horology Curious
30/7/21
Palm Springs, California
Thanks Guys.
Well you certainly answered my question in short order. I'll leave this one as is.
So, perhaps the best way to go is to simply buy a good replica in green. Can you recommend a supplier for a decent quality?
Greg

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I may be wrong but I believe it is a copy of a model number 16610 if that helps at all.
Hey buddy, welcome to RWI.

To help you when you come to research the Sub and what you buy next, what you've got there is a "six digit" Submariner - the 116610 LN ("Lune Noire" - the black dial version). Also known as the Sub-C or "Ceramic Sub", because it has a ceramic bezel insert. (The 16610 is an earlier Sub and has an aluminium insert.)

The model you're interested in is the 116610 LV ("Lune Verte" or "green face"). It's also referred to commonly by watch fans as "The Hulk" - for obvious reasons.

If you read around the forums, you'll find a ton of information on these watches. They're among the most popular models in the rep community. So take your time to get familiar. Once you've made a choice (most people tend to go for the reps from CF (Clean Factory), or VSF), then head to the Trusted Dealer section and check out the dealer reviews there to decide who you would like to contact to order your Sub. Personally, for newcomers I recommend J-Time - but all members here have their favoured TDs.

Have fun!