• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why are most/all clone bezel numbers dimmer than genuine?

soliloqueen

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/7/21
I got the chance to look at a few and the difference is pretty big. Does anyone know what's so difficult about it? The numbering material behaves pretty oddly. It's super reflective! From my days doing material digitization for video games engines, I only recognize two materials that behave the way rolex bezel numbers seem to: certain preparations of silver or other highly reflective metals, and moon dust. The silver achieves it purely due to high reflectivity causing interreflection when it's roughed up like that (which is why silver watch dials look white). Moon dust looks the way it does because of the structure of the particles of dust. Unlike Earth dust, which is round from weathering, moon dust is microscopically jagged. This causes moon dust to be both diffuse and slightly retroreflective at the same time, which in graphics we model with Oren-Nayar roughness.

There are a few materials on earth that are microscopically jagged like moon dust that could theoretically be used as paint pigments to make the bezels look like that, but they're generally not used because they can cause lung damage like asbestos when dry, so I'm guessing it's some sort of really rough, really reflective metal that looks white, like a silver watch dial. Does anyone have any insight into how they're made?

Last edited:

soliloqueen

17/7/21
Rolex use platinum applied via PVD.

Chinese factories in Guandong do not.

That lines up pretty well with what I was thinking. I was wondering if it was silver that was prevented from oxidizing somehow, but platinum makes even more sense since it'd be way easier to work with. I totally understand how that'd be difficult to replicate quickly. I think I might mess around and try to see if I can't figure out a way to achieve the same look for cheaper. I also regularly work with factories that PVD precious metals for my microphone company (condenser microphone diaphragms need to be gold or platinum-sputtered). I can see how it'd be ungodly time-consuming and very difficult to do complex shapes.

I might also be able to engineer or find a cheap material that has the same brightness without being metal, like some kind of weird hyper-reflective plaster, but it wouldn't have the same luster unless it was also dangerous.

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
That lines up pretty well with what I was thinking. I was wondering if it was silver that was prevented from oxidizing somehow, but platinum makes even more sense since it'd be way easier to work with. I totally understand how that'd be difficult to replicate quickly. I think I might mess around and try to see if I can't figure out a way to achieve the same look for cheaper. I also regularly work with factories that PVD precious metals for my microphone company (condenser microphone diaphragms need to be gold or platinum-sputtered). I can see how it'd be ungodly time-consuming and very difficult to do complex shapes.

I might also be able to engineer or find a cheap material that has the same brightness without being metal, like some kind of weird hyper-reflective plaster, but it wouldn't have the same luster unless it was also dangerous.

I see you are new to the forum, Welcome!

I just wanted to mention that there are members who have mastered insert marker mods. Spongebob is the most sought after, you can see one of his modified inserts in the link below.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...d-custom-pearl

ussdassein is another one

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...w-my-work-here

For a simple cheap fast fix, Molotow and Sharpie mods have been around for a long time. There are different ways to do these quick mods. I've done quite a few, pretty much most of my ceramic inserts.

Plenty of pics in the thread below.

KJ2020 Paint Mod

Molotow nodded Sub.
ZtGaNK.jpg

ZtGUeR.jpg

ZtGe0L.jpg

ZtGAmS.jpg

ZtGhgW.jpg

ZtG3Ho.jpg

ZtGZtD.jpg

ZtGK4P.jpg

ZtGHyJ.jpg

Last edited:

soliloqueen

17/7/21
I see you are new to the forum, Welcome!

I just wanted to mention that there are members who have mastered insert marker mods. Spongebob is the most sought after, you can see one of his modified inserts in the link below.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...d-custom-pearl

ussdassein is another one

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...w-my-work-here

For a simple cheap fast fix, Molotow and Sharpie mods have been around for a long time. There are different ways to do these quick mods. I've done quite a few, pretty much most of my ceramic inserts.

Plenty of pics in the thread below.

KJ2020 Paint Mod

Molotow nodded Sub.
ZtGaNK.jpg

ZtGUeR.jpg

ZtGe0L.jpg

ZtGAmS.jpg

ZtGhgW.jpg

ZtG3Ho.jpg

ZtGZtD.jpg

ZtGK4P.jpg

ZtGHyJ.jpg

All excellent work! it makes sense that the brilliant people here would have thought of everything already