• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

CF Hulk vs VSF Hulk comparison

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
This is just going to be a quick analysis, don't really have time for many photos and angles but I figure this might help those who are interested in general:

j3vQvs.jpg

From left to right: CF Hulk, VSF Hulk, ZF Dial

VSF pros:
  • Better case, the lugs slope more compared to CF. For this reason alone the VSF base is best for frankening.
  • Better crownguards (latest CF crownguard still isn't as good as VSF)
  • Better crystal, CF is more hazy or not as clear.
CF Pros:
  • Better dial (not as good as ZF, def better than VSF)
  • Better insert. I have a S29 Hulk just recently delivered and the VSF insert is NOT as green, nor are the numerals as bright. The CF insert numerals pop more, and are more bright. Clean definitely saved the best insert for themselves.
  • Better bracelet. The end links recess nicer. This surprised me. The extension link is way more smooth. I am very impressed with the bracelet on CF, which makes sense cause it's by ARF. I am a little disappointed in the SEL recession on my VSF Hulk, this might be due to the new clasp stating it's 6SH, maybe they had to source to a new bracelet after the raids. But the end link recession is not great on the VSF. VERY good on the CF.
Equal:
  • Hands. I don't see a difference in either.

All in all they both excel in major areas for both. The dial and insert on the CF is a big plus as is the bracelet. The VSF has the advantage of the crystal and the more sloped lugs. If you would franken I would highly recommend the VSF as the base case is a big deal.

If you don't want to upgrade anything at all (dial on the VSF is a must IMO, thus I got the ZF dial) then the CF is the way to go if you stay stock. The lack of taper on the case does not override the better insert, dial, and bracelet. There really is a difference on the insert which surprised me, the greener insert and brighter text stands out compared to the VSF.

I'm probably going to purchase a CF insert and ARF/CF bracelet for the VSF since I'm modding in a ZF dial anyway.

Hope this helps those interested in the Hulk!

Last edited:

ornateLover

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/8/20
Very nice review. Fair and accurate and I think there is a lot of consensus to support your takeaways.

this will be very handy for the “what hulk should buy?” Folks

Reactions: Duckber

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
Very nice review. Fair and accurate and I think there is a lot of consensus to support your takeaways.

this will be very handy for the “what hulk should buy?” Folks

Thanks man!

I'd also like to use this topic to ask: I know removing an insert is delicate, but how risky is it inserting an insert? Would like to purchase a CF insert onto the VSF, would like to hope it's not too risky for it to crack upon installing it.

Any experience KJ2020 ?

Last edited:

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
Thanks man!

I'd also like to use this topic to ask: I know removing an insert is delicate, but how risky is it inserting an insert? Would like to purchase a CF insert onto the VSF, would like to hope it's not too risky for it to crack upon installing it.

Any experience KJ2020 ?

Even experienced people cold sweat anytime a ceramic insert has to be removed and reinstalled back.
It is indeed a risky job.

Reactions: Ecender

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
Even experienced people cold sweat anytime a ceramic insert has to be removed and reinstalled back.
It is indeed a risky job.

Debating if it's worth purchasing a separate insert for it now. Dang.

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
Get a complete bezel. Most of the times they come well aligned.

Did not know that that's actually doable and not risky. The CF bezel is slightly different than VSF, but not technically worse. Teeth are a bit wider.

This is a good tip, thanks.

diamant

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/9/19
Thanks for this.
Cant see the picture but are you gonna take ZF dial and VSF markers on it? Or is it good enough on ZF?

cheers

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
Not sure what happened to the picture. Here is another

jHZpJP.jpg

CF on left, VSF on right, dial is ZF

So to reiterate, maybe at this angle it's easier to see, but the VSF case is nicer. The lugs look a bit more sharp and slope a bit. CG is slightly smaller. Nicer crystal.

But look at the end links. I think the new bracelet supplied to VSF makes the end links not as good. Look at the lack of recession compared to CF. There is still some recession, but the CF end links look very very good, great recession.

CF has a greener insert although it looks a bit washed in the pic cause of the lighting. But the text is also more crisp and brighter. Insert is definitively better on the CF as is the dial. Dial is too washed out on the VSF. But the lugs/case is definitely lacking on the CF. Not by much but it's apparent side by side. Crystal glares more in certain angles compared to VSF so it loses a point there as well.

To diamant , honestly the markers seem fine, no need to change markers on the ZF dial from my view.

In all honesty picking a defintive version for purchase is tough. They are all severely lacking in aspects and greatly excel in others. Depending on what aspects you prefer that one of these excel at, there really is no wrong or right answer. Depends what you're ok with and what you're not ok with. I think if you're sticking with stock then the CF is the better buy. The CGs don't look too bad. But once you compare the lugs to the VSF side by side it does make you a bit disappointed in the case. Crystal glare is also on the CF. But man the bracelet is so good, as is the dial (comparatively) and insert.

I'm personally sticking with VSF since I'm modding it. Best way to go if you really love the Hulk and it's not just another rep. If you're just sticking with stock I think overall the CF nudges the lead. Maybe. Might think differently another day. It's that close... just pick and choose what you favor more from these aspects if you stay stock.

Either watch is still very high quality and you'd be happy with either, they would be among my favorites in my collection either way.

Last edited:

dragon07

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/6/20
There is an existing vsf lacking. is this due to buying a zf dial?

diamant

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/9/19
Duckber
Gen hulk urs? Such a beauty!
and this vsf need clean v4 insert and cf or zf dial for sure.

Thank you for this.

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
Duckber
Gen hulk urs? Such a beauty!
and this vsf need clean v4 insert and cf or zf dial for sure.

Thank you for this.

Where do you see a gen Hulk? These models are CF, VSF, and dial is ZF

and yes absolutely agree with VSF upgrades it's the best Hulk we can get. ARF bracelet is fantastic as well.

You're welcome, glad it helped.

Last edited:
Reactions: diamant

diamant

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/9/19
Where do you see a gen Hulk? These models are CF, VSF, and dial is ZF

and yes absolutely agree with VSF upgrades it's the best Hulk we can get. ARF bracelet is fantastic as well.

You're welcome, glad it helped.

Sorry somehow read gen, but did mean the CF it look very genlike insert and dial.

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
Sorry somehow read gen, but did mean the CF it look very genlike insert and dial.

Ah. Yes the insert and dial on cf is very good. As is their arf bracelet. No need for a ZF dial on the cf, it's not necessary imo

Last edited:
Reactions: diamant

Shany

24/6/19
I don’t get it :D why you did not just buy a ZF as complete watch ?