• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex Day Date 41 mm Movement swap

youngseasoon

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/9/17

Hello Guys

(If you dont want to read the full story skip untill: So the point is…)

Yesterday my new Daydate arrived finally after more then 9 Weeks…
i was so excited when i opened up my package. First impress was just wow. The Watch-Dimensions, the Case the Bracelet the saphireglass, the CZ stone setting… everything looked really good… then the heartbreaking moment came up…

i tried to set the day, date and time… the watch was making really wired noises when screwing the crown to set time… i thought hm ok al long it works…

then I pushed the crown a little bit more in to set day and date…. First i wanted to set date… i screwed the wheel and date began to change 19, 20. 21 and exactly at the moment it was swapping to 22 the datewheel stoped… i thougt like bruh ok maybe in these asian 2836-2 the movement was a little bit missplaced and i tried it again. Pushed crown fully in so watch starts running and then pull it out again to set date/day. But it is still just not moving!

I was like bro for real??!!

I guessed maybe something is not well connected and thought maybe if i set day first it will maybe work after it… but day wheel was also not moving!

i know how to set a daydate, its not my first. So something in the Movement ist just broken…

i wrote trusty admin about the watch defect.. he told me i must send the watch back, fully originally wrapped and he will check defect, repair it, or replace it (just if its originally fully wrapped)… bro firstly i took the wraping off because i was so upset that this Asian **** Movement doesn’t work…

Secondly, if i sending the watch back to china i have to take Custom risk… so if the watch gets lost im the dumbass who lost his watch and gets a charge for sending replicated Watches around the golbe… and swiss border-customs are verry good in theyr job beleve me..

And 3th point.. it will take at least 10 more weeks till i get it back if all workes fine… and even then i most likely got a amateur repaired A2836-2 in my Watch and i bet it wont take 3 Months untill something other gets broken..

So the Point is:
i have a new DD 41 with an A2836-2 Movement in it and Day AND Date setting is not working. Also the Minute and Hour pointers are not matching… when i set Minute Pointer to 12 (fully hour) the hour Pointer should stay at a Hour Mark.. But its just right in the middle.. bro this is a disaster…

So only two solutions are:

send back or buy a second one…

OR

Repar it by myself or by watch smith and replace the A2836-2 with a gen ETA 2836-2.

So my Question is had you ever had a similar Situation?

And what would you do if you were in my Situation? Replace or buy 2nd. One?

and if Replacing is a Option (wich i prefer) is a Gen ETa 2836-2 the right Movement for swapping? And can i do it by myself? Are there some Videos or detailed explanations?

thanks and best Regards

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
Both 2836-2 and 2834-2 movements are a direct swap. You just have to check the hands height, and eventually swap the seconds wheel, hour wheel and driving wheel+cannon pinion from the rep movement to the gen one.

You’ll also need the day and date discs currently installed in your rep movements.

Reactions: KJ2020

stevier88

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
16/12/19
U.K
Shocking that a replica watch made by minimum wage workers in a dirty factory in a country with some of the worlds worst human right violations might just not work sometimes. But hey ho.

send it to a watch smith and have it fixed. Sorted. Whatever you do don’t send it back to the TD. It most likely won’t arrive and the time it will take to get there and back.

Reactions: KJ2020

youngseasoon

7/9/17
Thanks for fast response yee i know china.. but i have already 7 watches bought from Trusty and all workes just fine…

if i do a direct swap, i saw at the gen eta2836-2 day and date wheel are placed at 6 and day is at the inner wheel and date on outter… can i just take the wheels from the rep (includind dial of course)?

is there a detailed instruction post or better a video? Im scared if i buy a gen eta for 200.- and screw it up just bc im not capable????

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks for fast response yee i know china.. but i have already 7 watches bought from Trusty and all workes just fine…

if i do a direct swap, i saw at the gen eta2836-2 day and date wheel are placed at 6 and day is at the inner wheel and date on outter… can i just take the wheels from the rep (includind dial of course)?

is there a detailed instruction post or better a video? Im scared if i buy a gen eta for 200.- and screw it up just bc im not capable????

You can also just buy another 2836 rep movement there are plenty of good ones available like a Seagull. This is not big deal, it's part of the rep game. Buy a new movement and get it installed by a competent watchmaker.

stevier88

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
16/12/19
U.K

Just the luck of the draw mate. All mine have been fine when they’ve arrived and only one has had issues after a while with winding/date/day flip. And it was a day date!

if you’re not 100% sure you can do it just send it to one of the guys on here. Last thing you want to do is mess up a new movement you got and potentially other parts of the watch and end up costing more than it would just to get a watch smith.

im sure some more experienced guys will chime in though with some advice on how to swap it out.

youngseasoon

7/9/17
Im happy for any informations and advices thanks guys i need to get some more informations bevore i decide. Sadly its very hard to find a watchsmith in Switzerland who do things like this…

and if i send it to a guy on this website i also need to export it by post and i take the risk and i dont know a guy who provides services like this here…

i hope to find a guid or a instruction video, then i think im supposed to do it by myself, i mean im a Cumputer Sicentist and repairt a lot of macbooks an Computers with hella small screws and a lot of parts but i think a watchmovement is another level..

if i buy a new movement rep or gen 100-200.- and watchsmithseevice ill reach 300 atleast.. new watch costs 400… its a hard decision..

youngseasoon

7/9/17
Is ir possible that just the crown pinion is damaged or maybe the date and day wheels? If yes i wont be able to repair the watch even with a new movement..

i ordered watchtools and a eolex case operer… tools i think i have enough but i cant get tge case open… damn rolex casebacks..

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Sadly its very hard to find a watchsmith in Switzerland who do things like this…
Oh the irony.

What tool did you order? If you get the Bergeon clone set by Hedapai (or other Chinese brands) on eBay it should work fine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313571024314?hash=item49024a1dba:g:Ug8AAOSwwatgzLdP

But if you aren't confident about working on a watch, then post it to one of the watchsmiths on the forum to get it sorted. There are several dotted around Europe you could use.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Another option would be sell the watch as is M2M for a discount (say about $85 off), and just order another one from a TD. I just bought a watch M2M that is new and was received DOA by the seller from TD.

Last edited: