• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A bluesy named desire

weezkid

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
12/1/21
Lane Cove
Hi mateys,

I thought I would share a build of a watch that has always been close to my heart.

The story is simple enough, a penniless college student (that would be yours truly) decided to peek through the window of a local jewellery store. I would pass this very same store every morning on my way to my university in Sydney. As fate would have its way, I saw a gleaming watch with a dastardly beautiful face, long before I know that it's called the dial. That image burnt a irreversible image in my mind and till today, I would consider it as the most iconic Rolex design. Much has been said about these two-tone babies, splitting opinions on whether it is a class act or a feeble attempt by a person to claim a partial progress of success in his life.

In my humble opinion, I view it as culmination of my dream and it brings joy to me to finally get the opportunity to have it in my possession. I ended up purchasing the gen 41mm Bluesy (126613LB) and had all the intentions of adding the gen 'original' kid 16613LB to my arsenal. As fate would have it, I came across this hobby and saw a chance to embark on a build for the 116613LB. It turned out to be quite a journey, a roller coaster at times but totally worth the effort (and the dollars) that had been spent on it.

First of all, brane for the gift of the gen bezel/insert set and dial - he took the trouble to send this on a first class courier without charging the extra cost. Of course the man himself legend for taking up this build, without which it simply won't be what it is now. While his reputation of AP workmanship precedes him and is well earned, I am thrilled to see the result of this build by him. It is still pure joy to hold this baby in my hand. We speak about how buttery smooth it feels to wind the gen Rolex pieces especially when compared to reps OOTB. Well, I can assure you that the finished item makes the sweetest sound to my ears, with second hands moving gliding around effortlessly.

It has given me a satisfaction above wearing gen Rolexes, perhaps the culmination of a wish but I realize it was the journey that had rewarded me along with the people I share it with.

Thanks to repfam for giving me this newfound hobby! :thumbsup:

116613LB components
Gen dial
Gen hands
Gen crown
Gen insert and bezel
Gen crystal and datewheel (per legend's recommendation)
Gen bracelet

**Full build, servicing, waterproofing, pressure test by legend **

:bull:

weezkid

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
12/1/21
Lane Cove
Where did you get the gen bracelet ?

Got it from Chrono24, it was a bit worrying cause I'd been scammed before. Once it arrived, took it to an AD friend and he confirmed it is gen. The lady who sold it to me actually asked if I could send it back to her, she must have seen the other 2 ads selling the bracelet for 1k more

Reactions: Dssd man

weezkid

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
12/1/21
Lane Cove
You used a ZZF/Clean factory case?

I chose VSF - had a CF V1 but of course that has the straight up CG. Color wise, they're remarkably similar.

Was planning to use an ARF dial that I bought from a member here but it would have needed to be shaven (1mm larger than gen). The colour is quite a bit darker than the gen but it actually looks really good in life.

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
I'll answer with what should have been the 1rst response to your thread : CONGRATULATIONS !

The Bluesy is one of the most desirable Rolex ever IMO, great experience you told us here.
The result is stunning, you wisely chose great parts, and a great builder @legend.

Enjoy that beauty.

Envoyé de mon SM-G991B en utilisant Tapatalk

Reactions: KJ2020

brane

not pronounced like brain
Supporter
Certified
17/8/15
What an absolute pleasure to be apart of a great story of marksmanship.

I've said it before and I will continue to say it... that dial is SEVERELY underrated and you don't get to appreciate it's beauty to the fullest extent until you put every piece of the puzzle together like you did.

Wear it in the greatest of health.

P..DR..D

- Pátrún Bródúil -
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
Thanks, mate, finally convinced the missus the Bluesy is an elegant companion :p

More than elegant Sir, an absolute stunner, pure watch p0rn on the wrist!!

Wear it safely and enjoy :notworthy: