• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Best 226659 Rep Available?

Yacht-Monster

The entertainer previously known as Roughwatch
Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
Hi all,

About to pull the trigger on a 42mm Yacht-Master 226659. Narrowed it down to two different versions. The VSF and GMF versions. Both have the same movements, but the VSF vesion uses 316L steel (and is also $40 cheaper), compared o the GMF with 904L. Both are available too.

Both have steel inside the strap like the genuine, but some dealers have mentioned that the VSF might be a better rep. I've seen the GMF version reviewed on this forum but was wondering if anyone has had to make this decision as well and what version did you end up going with?

Also, since the genuine 225569 has a white gold case, does the lower class of steel even matter as both are polished to resemble white gold?

Thanks in advance.

BOSSK

Renowned Member
22/3/17
Oz
Hi all,

About to pull the trigger on a 42mm Yacht-Master 226659. Narrowed it down to two different versions. The VSF and GMF versions. Both have the same movements, but the VSF vesion uses 316L steel (and is also $40 cheaper), compared o the GMF with 904L. Both are available too.

Both have steel inside the strap like the genuine, but some dealers have mentioned that the VSF might be a better rep. I've seen the GMF version reviewed on this forum but was wondering if anyone has had to make this decision as well and what version did you end up going with?

Also, since the genuine 225569 has a white gold case, does the lower class of steel even matter as both are polished to resemble white gold?

Thanks in advance.

The steal won’t make much, if any difference, VSF would be the pic of the two on crystal quality alone, but availability will be your final decision maker I feel. VSF currently not available & may never be again excapt M2M. GMF is currently available.

Yacht-Monster

Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
The steal won’t make much, if any difference, VSF would be the pic of the two on crystal quality alone, but availability will be your final decision maker I feel. VSF currently not available & may never be again excapt M2M. GMF is currently available.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I've been able to find a VSF version, but the issue is that the strap doesn't fit wrists larger than 18cm and according to my TD, the third party straps are not compatible with the VSF deployment style clasp. I like the GMF but the VSF is almost visually a 1:1. Having said that, maybe I'm looking at it more than I should as the GMF looks pretty darn 1:1.

Thanks.

SOLEX

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
30/3/09
Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

VSF bar none, but if it is not available you are good with GMF with some mods (such as AR crystal). Do not read too much into 904 vs 316, they are both fine and will NOT look like WG. I have a post from a few months back where I photographed my VSF 226659 vs my gen 116509 (which both are gone unfortunately) they are very different, but when the YM is alone you really can't tell especially as there is no bracelet. If you really need the photo PM me and I will dig it up on my photo album.

Overall you are making a great choice, the 226659 is one of my favorite reps as it is not like every Submariner you see. If I found another VSF via M2M I would not hesitate for one second to buy it as I really enjoyed it.

Reactions: Yacht-Monster

Yacht-Monster

Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
VSF bar none, but if it is not available you are good with GMF with some mods (such as AR crystal). Do not read too much into 904 vs 316, they are both fine and will NOT look like WG. I have a post from a few months back where I photographed my VSF 226659 vs my gen 116509 (which both are gone unfortunately) they are very different, but when the YM is alone you really can't tell especially as there is no bracelet. If you really need the photo PM me and I will dig it up on my photo album.

Overall you are making a great choice, the 226659 is one of my favorite reps as it is not like every Submariner you see. If I found another VSF via M2M I would not hesitate for one second to buy it as I really enjoyed it.

Thanks Solex,

I think I'm better going with the VSF and trying to work something out around the strap issue (VSF only fits small wrists unfortunately).

Really appreciate your advice and help.

Cheers.

drferrari1

Known Member
13/8/20
CONUS
I bought my VSF 226659 from Solex. I use it everyday and can’t be happier with it. It’s stunning and an amazing rep. I hope you can find one! Best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yacht-Monster

Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
I bought my VSF 226659 from Solex. I use it everyday and can’t be happier with it. It’s stunning and an amazing rep. I hope you can find one! Best!

Thanks, I'm warming to the idea of going VSF with a different strap over the GMF with a use-able oysterflex. The comparison shots show that the GMF isn't as good.

Thanks for your help.

SOLEX

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
30/3/09

I am glad you are enjoying! I miss it dearly!

Roughwatch VSF has a small size on one side, the other side is larger and adjustable within the clasp. I think it can accommodate most wrists, unless you are over 7.5". VSF was very smart to do it this way in my opinion (or I am just happy with it because I am small wristed!)

Yacht-Monster

Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
I am glad you are enjoying! I miss it dearly!

Roughwatch VSF has a small size on one side, the other side is larger and adjustable within the clasp. I think it can accommodate most wrists, unless you are over 7.5". VSF was very smart to do it this way in my opinion (or I am just happy with it because I am small wristed!)

Thanks SOLEX I'm unfortunately too much of a Neanderthal to fir the smaller sze, but I've found many suitable replacements online that are likely to be just as good, minus the steel inserts. I'd rather have that than a watch that I regret that has a decent strap.

Thanks again for all of your advice.

imaballa

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/9/20
Hi, I have just received my VSF 226659 yacht-master… great, I mean fabulous looking piece. One problem…. Strap is too small and only comes in one size!! Does anyone know how to source a bigger one? My TD says that he has to go to another strap supplier that doesn’t have as good quality for that…

Yacht-Monster

Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
Hi, I have just received my VSF 226659 yacht-master… great, I mean fabulous looking piece. One problem…. Strap is too small and only comes in one size!! Does anyone know how to source a bigger one? My TD says that he has to go to another strap supplier that doesn’t have as good quality for that…

How much is this alternative strap? If it's expensive and bad quality you could go for one from aliexpress or dhgate. They have glidelock and the rubber looks the same, just won't have the metal inserts like the VSF clone strap. There's a few threads where people are using different straps that look very nice, so maybe don't just stick with the Oysterflex idea as SOLEX suggested for me.

Having said that, if this alternative oysterflex your TD mentions is good, please let me know as I'm after a good one myself.

imaballa

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/9/20
How much is this alternative strap? If it's expensive and bad quality you could go for one from aliexpress or dhgate. They have glidelock and the rubber looks the same, just won't have the metal inserts like the VSF clone strap. There's a few threads where people are using different straps that look very nice, so maybe don't just stick with the Oysterflex idea as SOLEX suggested for me.

Having said that, if this alternative oysterflex your TD mentions is good, please let me know as I'm after a good one myself.

Unfortunately VSF doesn’t have another size, nor do ARF so I’d have to get it from an alternative dealer which quality is not as great. Actually looking at just getting Gen at this point… I’ll see!