• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

5 digit sub reps in 2021, franken or?

Slowman4130

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
Certified
19/8/21
this seems to be the "newest" thread on franken 5 digits, figured I would ask here instead of making a new thread. Gathering parts for what will hopefully be a 16800 or early 16610 build, however the latest ARF 5 digits have the engraved rehaut. Has anyone used this case and removed the engraving?

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
this seems to be the "newest" thread on franken 5 digits, figured I would ask here instead of making a new thread. Gathering parts for what will hopefully be a 16800 or early 16610 build, however the latest ARF 5 digits have the engraved rehaut. Has anyone used this case and removed the engraving?
Welcome to the Club!

It’s a fairly trivial sanding/shaving job to remove the rehaut engraving. I’ve not done it myself, but it’s an often-referred-to mod around these parts.

Slowman4130

Supporter
Certified
19/8/21
Welcome to the Club!

It’s a fairly trivial sanding/shaving job to remove the rehaut engraving. I’ve not done it myself, but it’s an often-referred-to mod around these parts.

Thanks! I already have a growing collection of 4 & 5 digit subs, DJs, SDs, etc, so the rehaut delete seemed pretty straight forward, but I hadn't found any reference to someone doing it with this model yet. Glad to hear it's been done!

nissin

Horology Curious
8/4/14
I just had a pretty thorough franken done on a 16610LN. It's based on the ARF watch, which in my opinion is too pricey for what you get: loose bezel and questionable movement. The crystal is also a couple mm taller than gen. So, I went and got a VR3135 + gen datewheel as well as a clark crystal for those issues. The bezel action bothered me so I also sprang for a gen retaining ring, washer, and insert. I wasn't going to put a gen dial in mine, but the ARF had a pretty bad dial (lume plots were bulging out of the metal surrounds) so I got a gen tritium dial. The lume doesn't quite match the hands now, but it's something that I can live with.

In my opinion, if you want a really meticulous franken 16610LN build, don't bother getting an ARF. Get a ST caseset and source a VR3135 movement as well as a rep dial/hands, unless you want to go gen for the dial, hands and insert. The ARF bracelet is pretty good if that's important to you.

Let me know what you end up deciding on. I would love to see the route that you take.

Pardon my rep noob mind - but what is a ST case set, what does ST stand for and where can I grab one? I'm looking into building a 16800 but was thinking of using the 16610 ARF as the base.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Pardon my rep noob mind - but what is a ST case set, what does ST stand for and where can I grab one? I'm looking into building a 16800 but was thinking of using the 16610 ARF as the base.
ST is StarTime - a watch parts supplier based in the US.

https://www.startimesupply.com/

You need to be a registered watchsmith to order from them. There's a workaround to getting registered - pay a month subscription that you can cancel afterwards. It's too much of a faff, so I pick ST stuff up M2M.

Reactions: nissin

wubsub

i like subs
Patron
Certified
31/10/18
sorry who are?
no rehaut ARF 3135 16610 is the best which is currently available. dial, crystal, datewheel and movement are for the trash though. replace with a VR and you have a solid base par TC

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
BTW, I haven't seen the ST 16610 sub case in a few months. They do have a 18kt sub case for $6750.

Reactions: CarpetRyd

CarpetRyd

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
20/3/17
BTW, I haven't seen the ST 16610 sub case in a few months. They do have a 18kt sub case for $6750.

The ST3135 caseset hasn’t been available since Nov 2021… ARF is your only option or catch an m2m build and part it out.

ST - is still my favorite base (stubby CGs and all) - everything just fits and movement secured as gen…

JF - crown tube = not gen spec - don’t remove it…

ARF = JF in 904l - everything else same?

Last edited:

Slowman4130

Supporter
Certified
19/8/21
16800 build: ARF base w/ lugs drilled and rehaut engraving removed, VR3135 swap, Gen dial/hands, clark insert. May swap to a gen insert that's on the way

https://imgur.com/4H7luJC