• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

EUR upcoming sapphire rm tourbillon

bpbp

Renowned Member
14/12/13
USA
I've been dig more videos from chinese dealer, they all said it's don't feel like sapphire at front of you touch, I don't know why pure time and factory are keep lie to us it's sapphire at front and back.

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
So Puretime’s description says the bezel and caseback are sapphire and the midcase is a “transparent composite material”
I’m guessing thats a lie from the factory and its just glass/plastic. Only one way to find out... waiting for someone else to buy it lmfao.

Transparent composite material would be not so far from a technical description of plastic :lol:

My bet is on plastic here to be honest, I don't see them going through the trouble of producing a complex shape in glass

I've been dig more videos from chinese dealer, they all said it's don't feel like sapphire at front of you touch, I don't know why pure time and factory are keep lie to us it's sapphire at front and back.

Puretime solely rely on what factory will tell him, unless he test it himself. If it's glass on the front and back, you wouldn't be able to feel the difference with sapphire, plastic of course yes, but they could use a hard glass like Hardlex, often found on crystal of cheap reps, it's more durable than glass (barely)

CarmeloAnthony

17/5/20
Portland
So EURF are charging $1200 for a plastic case with a tourbillon? They need to fire their marketing strategy guy if they even have one lol.

W47chl0v3r

PM for 5402 inquiries
Supporter
Certified
29/8/19
Looking at the macro shots of the acrylic or plastic internals platforms it seems they have rough edges. Wouldn’t want the tiny particles to flake off and fall into the movement...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Looking at the macro shots of the acrylic or plastic internals platforms it seems they have rough edges. Wouldn’t want the tiny particles to flake off and fall into the movement...

Saw that indeed. Also it seems that there's tiny micro bubbles in the "whatever-material-it-is" bezel and back

bpbp

Renowned Member
14/12/13
USA

Very disappointed from EUR with quality like that, I was get my money already, but I put back in my pocket.

Hasselbaink

DR. H4RDC@R3 T3RR@R
Supporter
Certified
29/9/10
Archiregnum Hungaricum
Huge disappointing after kinda revealing these "details" and the feeling of a simple rip off..
Now I understand in a way why the factory is not sharing concrete specs even to the TD-s..

asuwere

2/6/19
These RM threads just seems to defy logic at times. I'll admit that I'm not a fan of the "sapphire" and never had that on my wishlist. Not sure what market research EUR were looking at but whatever. That said, we've got a suspended tourby this time instead of yet another fake deco plate. Say what you want but that's progress. Remember when ZF released their first RM35? The carbon was atrocious and the fake deco plate on PT wasn't even complete. No problem though. That got lots of love (and orders). Doesn't make any sense.

I'd certainly like to see EUR stay in business and keep pumping out the products. Is it sapphire? Doubtful. It might be polycarbonate. That's a strong, lightweight and durable material that is easily molded. The internals could also use some cleaning too. At least that one on PT. It wouldn't be the first time they posted photos that didn't look too hot. Besides that, it seems relatively common to do some additional work on the reps you buy after you get them.

So even though I never wanted to buy one of these, I'm actually almost considering it. "Almost", because the prices are bouncing all around and the big gear at the keyless works seems a bit loose. Not sure how long it would last like that. That, and the strap looks slightly yellowish. But almost.

Reactions: BIONONE

Hasselbaink

DR. H4RDC@R3 T3RR@R
Supporter
Certified
29/9/10
Archiregnum Hungaricum
FYI How the real RM sapphire case is made
a8ccd7a5677e055866d04db83f13ebe4.jpg
0fb0f36fe94061d638a66db8d760ff21.jpg
e26fe33806d1b534d6e7439a5b9b35c9.jpg
10e758ff731a00693059889255b0078e.jpg
2d6476e66041a4af543dc2d4c1a12638.jpg
d54c422d71b12fa40478bd1314cca01c.jpg
c44aba043611c1f2e97896312e15ebf6.jpg
4e21615fda1dccbefc09a5db9cbdf781.jpg
b9614fb7fce17fecd7fb9a8c3bd61622.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S9+ using Tapatalk

CarmeloAnthony

17/5/20
Portland
Do you guys think the factories can make these watches using synthetic sapphire? That would bring the cost way down, rather than breaking 5 real sapphire cases to make 1, they can just blow through the synthetic sapphire as its cheap. Now the machine seems to cost over $100K but we know these rep factories have enough money to buy GEN RMs so its possible we can see it in the future. Isn’t there a rumor that ZF sells their RM straps as gen? They’re totally raking it in lol. I don’t know how big the market is for sapphire cases but it would def shake up the rep game for sure.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Do you guys think the factories can make these watches using synthetic sapphire? That would bring the cost way down, rather than breaking 5 real sapphire cases to make 1, they can just blow through the synthetic sapphire as its cheap. Now the machine seems to cost over $100K but we know these rep factories have enough money to buy GEN RMs so its possible we can see it in the future. Isn’t there a rumor that ZF sells their RM straps as gen? They’re totally raking it in lol. I don’t know how big the market is for sapphire cases but it would def shake up the rep game for sure.

Pretty sure rep factory’s aren’t buying gen rm’s. Especially this one... bit too much of a risk if they do somehow damage the gen. they wont be making $100k+ to cover the costs. Its all done from pictures and asian movement catalogs

Last edited:

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17

I think there's a misconception here, synthetic sapphire is what is used for everything named sapphire in the watch industry. They don't use natural gemstones to do crystals etc...
Synthetic sapphire are "grown" in high pressure & temperature chamber (there's multiple processes to make them).

As far as rumors, well, they are just rumors to be honest, could be true, but we'll probably never know as that would be a big liability for them, rep is one thing, rep as gen would attract too much attention.

So im guessing this is just a super high speed vertical milling cnc machine? Because ive used ultra sonic but only for welding plastic. You cant cut with it as far as i know.

Before looking the machine up, I would have thought EDM machine would be used to reduce the breaking a lot, but it seems this is "just" a very high end and very precise CNC indeed, it seem they use ultrasonic to increase precision & speed without introducing shaking and other variables in the CNC process

CarmeloAnthony

17/5/20
Portland
I think there's a misconception here, synthetic sapphire is what is used for everything named sapphire in the watch industry. They don't use natural gemstones to do crystals etc...
Synthetic sapphire are "grown" in high pressure & temperature chamber (there's multiple processes to make them).

As far as rumors, well, they are just rumors to be honest, could be true, but we'll probably never know as that would be a big liability for them, rep is one thing, rep as gen would attract too much attention.

Before looking the machine up, I would have thought EDM machine would be used to reduce the breaking a lot, but it seems this is "just" a very high end and very precise CNC indeed, it seem they use ultrasonic to increase precision & speed without introducing shaking and other variables in the CNC process

So is the sapphire on our reps “man made/lab grown” or is it a simulant. Because man made sapphires and diamonds are pretty much the real thing except made in a lab. Simulants on the other hand won’t test as real on a diamond tester like lab grown gems do.

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
So is the sapphire on our reps “man made/lab grown” or is it a simulant. Because man made sapphires and diamonds are pretty much the real thing except made in a lab. Simulants on the other hand won’t test as real on a diamond tester like lab grown gems do.

They are real sapphire indeed, they are just lab grown. Simulant are different gemstones with very similar properties, like Cubic Zirconium & Diamond for example.

Reactions: CarmeloAnthony