• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Z+F Titanium RM052 skull

ywg

3/7/17
kobe24 , why doesn't someone clone an RM movement and start mass producing super rep RMs?

Last edited:

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
kobe24 , why doesn't someone clone an RM movement and start mass producing super rep RMs?

because factories like ZF (which are already big players) need around 4 years to finish a 7750 based "clone" - I am talking about the RM011 which comes in various iterations and is the most clever reference business wise as you only have to swap materials/colors of the dial and case.

While i also caught myself thinking "hey a RMUL3 couldn't be that hard to clone - looks fairly simple" i had to slow my fast thinking drastically by remembering that there is a huge R&D department at Renaud et Papi that don't play around and that there is something complex in these kind of skeleton movements - even though they are barely worth 150.000,- but then again it comes to what the buyer is willing to pay for something.

Anyways - it is extremely pricey to "simply clone" something with the intent of achieving a decent result in micro mechanics.

Just take the fake deco for example - it took them 5 years to replace the horrendous pink jewel which was fake anyways. And not even the big player ZF was capable of doing so...

Last edited:
Reactions: jm_brc_7057

jcguo0516

4/12/18

probably because the potential buyers/potential gains doesnt equal to the potential R&D costs, the market is much much smaller than lets say the AP 15400, or the Rolex Sub

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Got the qc today, I asked them about the stain or something on one of the picture, other than that, it looks freakin amazing, going to accept it once they get back to me about the stain
It does look good mate! Wow. Very nice. I think it's just some dirt. Congrats.

cordeliavega

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/3/19
I'd be into this for $400, but $600 for a Seiko movement converted to handwind only; way too much. I mean it's approaching the price of some tourbillon replicas. Crazy.

Stuvetjee

Russian Spambot Sales Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
because factories like ZF (which are already big players) need around 4 years to finish a 7750 based "clone" - I am talking about the RM011 which comes in various iterations and is the most clever reference business wise as you only have to swap materials/colors of the dial and case.

While i also caught myself thinking "hey a RMUL3 couldn't be that hard to clone - looks fairly simple" i had to slow my fast thinking drastically by remembering that there is a huge R&D department at Renaud et Papi that don't play around and that there is something complex in these kind of skeleton movements - even though they are barely worth 150.000,- but then again it comes to what the buyer is willing to pay for something.

Anyways - it is extremely pricey to "simply clone" something with the intent of achieving a decent result in micro mechanics.

Just take the fake deco for example - it took them 5 years to replace the horrendous pink jewel which was fake anyways. And not even the big player ZF was capable of doing so...

then take a look at JBF. They keep bringing out awesome Roger Dubuis models. It aint rocket science, movement drawings can be found from RM on the internet. Angus told us they repped it 1:1 from a gen model, so why didn't they inspect the movement while they were at it? They do this for a living bro, and many times have movement factories design the tourbies (which is basically their job lol)

Reactions: XLR8R

jcguo0516

4/12/18
Just received the watch today, all i gotta say is, I couldnt be more satisfied about this purchase, matter of fact, im really tempting getting the titanium version as well, this is the BEST version of RM052 in the market, the finishing is unbelievable, it feels heavy, it feels quality, i cant believe im saying this about a rep watch, lol, great time to be a rep watch lover

the only thing i want to complain about are the rotor is kinda noisy, but thats fixable and the butterfly clasp is a little sharp to my skin, again fixable, a little bit of baby oil and daily wear will fix that, and those two issues, pretty much on all rep watches, so definitely not a deal breaker to me whatsoever

jcguo0516

4/12/18
damn, im so excited about the RM052 Mask from ZF now, as long as they got the white and black carbon pattern right, even if not the white, cuz i love that black version one, thats an insta buy from me, #cantwait :cool: #ZF出品,必是精品

Last edited:

Simon2439

9/1/20
Does anyone have both versions? I think I’m gonna pull the trigger but just wondered if anyone can comment on which one they would suggest is the best one to buy first? thanks in advance guys.

Simon2439

9/1/20
Also any idea how long the gold crown will last before it starts to wear off. i.e does the plating appear to be good? was the stain on the side of your one okay in the end?

Timrm

24/4/18
damn, im so excited about the RM052 Mask from ZF now, as long as they got the white and black carbon pattern right, even if not the white, cuz i love that black version one, thats an insta buy from me, #cantwait :cool: #ZF出品,必是精品

Ohh man the white version would be awesome

Sent from the RWI App