• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The ULTIMATE ZF RM035 Thread

Karlus

Renowned Member
4/7/17
You are correct the rubber is just subtile hold in place. I just wanted to explain the "mechanic", that . It isn't a problem in my eyes.

The only two issues here I see are #1 I question the longevity of the small rubber, because you have to lift it slightly to move it over the strap. #2 The strap is kind of short in my case. In the picture above you see a perfectly "closed strap/watch". But when you put it on your wrist, the strap seem kind of short, because the metall braclet underneath is in the way.

Yes, I think it's the only reasonable way to put it on/off.

-------

I actually slide the second band up close to the first so the deployment closes over it.

Karlus

Renowned Member
4/7/17
technically you can also blue those screws yourself with bluing agent (Oxpho-Blue Professional) for around 20 bucks... Just like machinists do it to certain parts as a protection against corrosion or gunsmiths for rifles and other firearms etc.

depending on how dark you want them to be - let it react a longer or shorter time frame. As the screws are not exposed to wear and tear like the rest of the case it doesn't have to be as scratch resistant as PVD/DLC which would be much more expensive.

Do you have a brand you prefer? Have you done this before?

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
Do you have a brand you prefer? Have you done this before?

In theory a bluing agent like Oxpho-Blue Professional works on metal parts and most sorts of steel - not on stainless unfortunately.

The screws seem to be some sort of colored steel or even titanium - in the latter case a bluing agent won't work.

To get a black coating onto Ti without using DLC/PVD you have to heat it up to a certain temperature and quench it in oil to build a protective layer that is dark grey/black.

Unless we know what the screws are made of it is only guessing. I didn't do it before on the RM35 screws - bluing metal is a common practice and works wonders to protect certain parts in your workshop or even outdoors from corrosion.

Have a read into bluing/blacken Titanium: https://www.sciencedirect.com/sdfe/p...first-page-pdf

Last edited:

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
In theory a bluing agent like Oxpho-Blue Professional works on metal parts and most sorts of steel - not on stainless unfortunately.

The screws seem to be some sort of colored steel or even titanium - in the latter case a bluing agent won't work.

To get a black coating onto Ti without using DLC/PVD you have to heat it up to a certain temperature and quench it in oil to build a protective layer that is dark grey/black.

Unless we know what the screws are made of it is only guessing. I didn't do it before on the RM35 screws - bluing metal is a common practice and works wonders to protect certain parts in your workshop or even outdoors from corrosion.

Have a read into bluing/blacken Titanium: https://www.sciencedirect.com/sdfe/p...first-page-pdf

Not working on the ZF screws. They’re SS or Ti both of which don’t work with bluing solutions.

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
Not working on the ZF screws. They’re SS or Ti both of which don’t work with bluing solutions.

what i thought... Does RM use a DLC treatment? Do you know something about the gens?

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
what i thought... Does RM use a DLC treatment? Do you know something about the gens?

Gen screws are DLC coated 5 grade titanium screws if memory serves me right.

Reactions: BIONONE

dabestone

Renowned Member
6/12/14
Hi guys, placed my order with td, waiting for qc. At the meantime, tempted to get a strap from SMP.

How hard is it to change the straps? I've searched around, some say it's an easy job some say leave it to the watchsmith.

Any advice guys? Thanks !

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Karlus

Renowned Member
4/7/17
Gen screws are DLC coated 5 grade titanium screws if memory serves me right.

Ok, so perhaps intime will sell the black screws? I bought some from ebay ZELOS brand, but not sure if they will work. They dont appear to have the sharpest of threads (and maybe they fall out)

Im also unsure how much torque to use, and would putting them in tight crack the NTPT

20201019-165907.jpg

20201019-165703.jpg

Last edited:

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Ok, so perhaps intime will sell the black screws? I bought some from ebay ZELOS brand, but not sure if they will work. They dont appear to have the sharpest of threads (and maybe they fall out)

You should some thread locker compatible with carbon fiber, head over to loctite website or have a google around, this stuff do exist, and should prevent you from screwing it too hard while keeping it in place.
But make sure, and that's the most important, that the thread locker you get doesn't require high mechanical force to break or heat, otherwise you'll never get the screw out.

The lightest one should be more than enough

Karlus

Renowned Member
4/7/17
You should some thread locker compatible with carbon fiber, head over to loctite website or have a google around, this stuff do exist, and should prevent you from screwing it too hard while keeping it in place.
But make sure, and that's the most important, that the thread locker you get doesn't require high mechanical force to break or heat, otherwise you'll never get the screw out.

The lightest one should be more than enough

Fingernail polish? Im being serious, that is the weakest I know

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Fingernail polish? Im being serious, that is the weakest I know

I'd stick to proper thread locker, carbon fiber is hardly reactive with any solvant, but I wouldn't take any chances with other stuff not designed to go with it

Some thread locker will do great at keeping screws in place against vibrations etc... but will give easily with a screwdriver, that's what you want

Loctite website is well made to find the proper one for your application

Karlus

Renowned Member
4/7/17
I'd stick to proper thread locker, carbon fiber is hardly reactive with any solvant, but I wouldn't take any chances with other stuff not designed to go with it

Some thread locker will do great at keeping screws in place against vibrations etc... but will give easily with a screwdriver, that's what you want

Loctite website is well made to find the proper one for your application

Im on the case! Just gotta make sure these look the same as the silver ones I remove. If the thread angle is wrong then it's not going to fly.

Screwdrivers arrive in a couple days. I can photodocument it

Reactions: stanevo6

gigi77

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/17
Im on the case! Just gotta make sure these look the same as the silver ones I remove. If the thread angle is wrong then it's not going to fly.

Screwdrivers arrive in a couple days. I can photodocument it

Please do! :)

Karlus

Renowned Member
4/7/17
Ok, some good news and bad news.

Bad news first: The long screws for the strap were far too large for ZF. So I had to sharpie them.

Good news: The smaller screws on the bezel worked just fine.

The Gen has an almost dark grey matte finish, while my screws were black. The washers underneath the screws on GEN were silver color, so I kept them the same on mine.

The "upgraded" watch also has dark grey screws, but its hard to tell. Ryan told me the factory wont sell them.

Here are the pics

ZF-v-GEN.jpg

Intime upgrade

rm035-02-real-ntpt-zf-x-abd-upgraded-1-1-best-skeleton-dial-on-red-rubber-strap-nh05a-v3.jpg

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
The Gen has an almost dark grey matte finish, while my screws were black. The washers underneath the screws on GEN were silver color, so I kept them the same on mine.

It could not work, but if I were you, I would try the following : use a pencil, like HB or the like, put as much graphite powder from the tip by "coloring" the screws with it, think about when you where a kiddo, you probably put that stuff all over you finger after scribbling or doodling on a piece of paper.
Gently blow on any excess and find a mate clear coat to put over it, with very light dose, this will prevent the graphite from coming off.

Only problem could be the lack of adherence of the clear coat due to the graphite powder, but worse case, you just dunk the screw in alcohol and use the sharpie again (maybe a dark grey sharpie this time ? or a mix of two color ?)

Karlus

Renowned Member
4/7/17
It could not work, but if I were you, I would try the following : use a pencil, like HB or the like, put as much graphite powder from the tip by "coloring" the screws with it, think about when you where a kiddo, you probably put that stuff all over you finger after scribbling or doodling on a piece of paper.
Gently blow on any excess and find a mate clear coat to put over it, with very light dose, this will prevent the graphite from coming off.

Only problem could be the lack of adherence of the clear coat due to the graphite powder, but worse case, you just dunk the screw in alcohol and use the sharpie again (maybe a dark grey sharpie this time ? or a mix of two color ?)

Yeah, I am debating how much I hate the black screws vs having them dark grey. i like the dark grey paint pen idea. The issue with paint pens is the finish is glossy and not matte.

On the pencil idea, the paint will stick to the graphite and not the metal, so it's most likely a temporary solution.

I really just wanted to knock out those bright silver screws that screamed "rep" and the matte black certainly has done that. I still have the 4 brights holding the front deco in place, but I didnt want to get inside the watch today.

The reality is anyone who knows anything about RMs is going to see that balance wheel not moving. But on the wrist, I think I am 98% there. Heck, most people have no idea what a RM even is, and until a few weeks ago I couldnt tell you if the screws were supposed to be black, grey or whatever.

I really like the NTPT as it looks 100% what I remember from the boutique and vids from YT. Really is next level and is amazing in the sunlight.

This is my favorite watch right now.

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
I still have the 4 brights holding the front deco in place, but I didnt want to get inside the watch today.
Gen movement suspension securing screws aren't really darkened like the outside screws holding bezel and cb. Look at some pictures, you can see it there even without having a gen in hand. Also in regards to the screws- most gen screws are of a damascus grey finish. However I have seen other gens with more titanium coloured screws, so there's is some sort of variety out in the wild throughout different batches.

watcher009

Known Member
12/12/17
Does the upgraded intime exclusive have the right colored screws as the gen ?
Plus it says the movement is regulated on the upgraded version. Does that mean it should not have the stuttering issue ? Does a regulated movement solve that ?

Karlus

Renowned Member
4/7/17
Does the upgraded intime exclusive have the right colored screws as the gen ?
Plus it says the movement is regulated on the upgraded version. Does that mean it should not have the stuttering issue ? Does a regulated movement solve that ?

My thought is the gen is not black, but rather a very dark matte grey so to "blend" with the black and silver of the bezel.

The only real images of the "upgraded" Intime show a dark grey also, but I think there is variation.

I also think there is variation on movement screws matching or not matching the bezel.

It seems to be all over the place. Could just be lighting

16307974-cu4nzl2jo7w3o30rh775kvi2-Zoom.jpg