• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The ULTIMATE ZF RM035 Thread

daceswithsheep

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/4/19
London, UK
I had the opportunity to try out a couple of gen rm watches, both were over a million models: the rm50 & rm70. The first thing that caught my attention was how light they were. The second thing was that each watch was so well designed that it sits well around the wrist, especially with a Velcro strap. It felt like a sports car on your wrist.
I write this with the hope to get people to understand that when I wore the rm50 ($1.3million). The last thing I was focused on was the bezel. What makes rm watches great is the combination of many well done things, weight, full carbon construction, very well finishing, nice bezel and side profile, Velcro straps, and of course a spectacular movement.
The rm70 (Pharrell watch) shocked my as it was too big and the counter was manual, up and down. It felt so weird to put such a basic counter in an expensive watch. The rm50 on the other hand had the split second movement. The complication is ofcourse second to non. However, I didn't feel comfortable using it a lot, as with any chronograph, it's not advisable to use the chronos a lot.
Again, the guys were super nice and gave me a great introduction into the rm and explained that they have the highest rejection rates for parts in the watch industry due to their selection of only the best parts.

I would like to wrap up by saying the bezel pattern should not be your primary focus. Look at the 1:1 case construction, how the strap slides into the case. Look at the side of the watch and remember that it takes many layers of prepreg carbon tape put at a 45 degree angle, heated at a high temperature and pressure to give you the undestructable case. I think z+f did a good job, they deserve to be appreciated. Think of the cost of the case they bought and their rejection rate.

I'll just wait for the Velcro strap to be produced and then go for it.

I totally agree. the case construction alone is fantastic. The size and curvature are almost in line with the Gen. By my thinking if they have the case almost nailed then the rest will follow soon enough. you have to think that this is also a learning curve for the factories to work shit out and invest in higher end machinery to obtain the perfect finishes. So that shit takes time to achieve.

Again im not sure that bezel could be modded to really match the Gen finish because of the construction and how its been cut. True with enough money you could probs have someone build you a near perfect bezel using the Z+F bezel as a template and mod it yourself. even if that were to cost you $1000 you're still saving about $149,000 on a gen.. :p:p

Stuvetjee

Russian Spambot Sales Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
I had the opportunity to try out a couple of gen rm watches, both were over a million models: the rm50 & rm70. The first thing that caught my attention was how light they were. The second thing was that each watch was so well designed that it sits well around the wrist, especially with a Velcro strap. It felt like a sports car on your wrist.
I write this with the hope to get people to understand that when I wore the rm50 ($1.3million). The last thing I was focused on was the bezel. What makes rm watches great is the combination of many well done things, weight, full carbon construction, very well finishing, nice bezel and side profile, Velcro straps, and of course a spectacular movement.
The rm70 (Pharrell watch) shocked my as it was too big and the counter was manual, up and down. It felt so weird to put such a basic counter in an expensive watch. The rm50 on the other hand had the split second movement. The complication is ofcourse second to non. However, I didn't feel comfortable using it a lot, as with any chronograph, it's not advisable to use the chronos a lot.
Again, the guys were super nice and gave me a great introduction into the rm and explained that they have the highest rejection rates for parts in the watch industry due to their selection of only the best parts.

I would like to wrap up by saying the bezel pattern should not be your primary focus. Look at the 1:1 case construction, how the strap slides into the case. Look at the side of the watch and remember that it takes many layers of prepreg carbon tape put at a 45 degree angle, heated at a high temperature and pressure to give you the undestructable case. I think z+f did a good job, they deserve to be appreciated. Think of the cost of the case they bought and their rejection rate.

I'll just wait for the Velcro strap to be produced and then go for it.

But we dont have a beautiful movement to look at. with all the great things you say about the ZF model, i still cant understand how they fucked it up in the end.

aquamac

Pamaholic
Certified
28/6/16
UK
One of the biggest steps forward is that when you look at the watch as a whole, because the bezel and mid case are the same material, the watch takes on a complete integrated feel that no RM35 rep has done before. I also stress that in real life, there is a fair amount of variation with RM 35 bezels and it is one of those weird situations, but when you see the watch in the flesh, it looks so much better than any of the photos above and no matter what anyone says, the carbon midcase makes more difference than the bezel! That pink jewel needs changing though!

Last edited:

Stuvetjee

Russian Spambot Sales Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
One of the biggest steps forward is that when you look at the watch as a whole, because the bezel and mid case are the same material, the watch takes on a complete integrated feel that no RM35 rep has done before. I also stress that in real life, there is a fair amount of variation with RM 35 bezels and it is one of those weird situations, but when you see the watch in the flesh, it looks so much better than any of the photos above and no matter what anyone says, the carbon midcase makes more difference than the bezel! That pink jewel needs changing though!

perhaps also the other jewel colors. Do you think those can be colored?

aquamac

Pamaholic
Certified
28/6/16
UK
perhaps also the other jewel colors. Do you think those can be colored?

I am not sure, the other jewels are pretty small around 1mm, most of the clear jewels I have see around and are available are 1.5mm - 2mm. I don't think the existing rubies can be coloured clear, as red rubies get their colour from the atomic make up which is a bummer!

Here are a few more pics:

IMG_1785.jpg

IMG_1786.jpg

IMG_1787.jpg

Last edited:

krkqm2008

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
29/4/18
Dallas Texas
Pardon my ignorance , but when you guys say “bezel” do you mean the carbon design or the actual bezel as a whole is messed up ???

aquamac

Pamaholic
Certified
28/6/16
UK
I think they mean the black/white pattern on the front of the watch is a bit more regular than on the genuine deal. The bezel shape itself is very accurate.

Last edited:

TheDonSL

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/12/13
Just do everyone knows, I did order one as well, but I’m being honest that the carbon pattern is terrible. I def like the watch but will prob only wear it in the house lol

d3xophen

Renowned Member
15/9/18
Hi guys, mine arrived today, and I have got to say, the pictures do not do this justice at all. They in no way give the correct impression of the thickness - I measured 14.12mm. Personally the bezel looks good and the sapphire kicks the spots off any previous RM35 from Z factory or otherwise for clarity. This fits your wrist like a RM 001 - to anyone who has ordered this, you will not be disappointed. More will follow over the weekend.

is RM001 also 14cm thickness?

_DC_

I'm Pretty Popular
3/1/13
London UK
I am not sure, the other jewels are pretty small around 1mm, most of the clear jewels I have see around and are available are 1.5mm - 2mm. I don't think the existing rubies can be coloured clear, as red rubies get their colour from the atomic make up which is a bummer!

Here are a few more pics:

IMG_1785.jpg

IMG_1786.jpg

IMG_1787.jpg

This looks incredible!

All this talk of “it looks terrible” really makes no sense to me, I know it’s not close to gen but it’s really not terrible!!

DC

TheDonSL

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/12/13
This looks incredible!

All this talk of “it looks terrible” really makes no sense to me, I know it’s not close to gen but it’s really not terrible!!

DC

Sorry bud, I’m a huge fan of carbon and have many carbon watches. That’s the most important piece to me on this watch and unfortunately to my eyes it looks like cracked shiny wood grain to me, far from the gen.

I am eager to get the watch though and agree there are a lot of improvements, but the carbon will bother me tremendously and that is why I say it has to be modded.

For a fantasy watch the watch is great, but it’s not an RM.

Last edited:

vikkyrob

22/4/08
What is the weight like compared to the gen? Strap and AR look great but can anyone comment?

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
Sorry bud, I’m a huge fan of carbon and have many carbon watches. That’s the most important piece to me on this watch and unfortunately to my eyes it looks like cracked shiny wood grain to me, far from the gen.

I am eager to get the watch though and agree there are a lot of improvements, but the carbon will bother me tremendously and that is why I say it has to be modded.

For a fantasy watch the watch is great, but it’s not an RM.

My same sentiment. I had almost all the iterations and will have this too but that carbon is really bothering
and the “heart” of the watch (movement and deco) are exactly the same of the 2015 version i had back then

soubido

Known Member
29/12/18
Anyone know when or if any other TDs besides Pure Time will have this?

faithfulexecutioner

14/5/19
Never been crazy about the colors but god I love that raw carbon look. Also, it seems a bit bulky but it has to be relatively light. An even stalemate within prompts me to do nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk