• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Paint your watch

rwileo

Known Member
7/9/16
anyone have any experience on how to paint your watch?
I plan to paint my rm038 to all white matte instead of waiting for the correct matte rm055 x.x
any help is appreciated thank you

_DC_

I'm Pretty Popular
3/1/13
London UK
Not sure if you’ll be able to view this unless you’re a member at RWG, but I did exactly this to my old V1 RM055 as it had a steel midcase...

https://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?/topic/135467-modding-my-rm055-bubba-watson/

Here’s a before and after...

IMG_9393.jpg

DC

_DC_

I'm Pretty Popular
3/1/13
London UK
PS: There is now a V2 of the RM055 that is all white ceramic including the mid case, so this might be a better option?!?

DC

rwileo

Known Member
7/9/16
Well it is all white now but I still see the case reflecting shines like the previous one, not matte :(

rwileo

Known Member
7/9/16

_DC_

I'm Pretty Popular
3/1/13
London UK
That’s nice! I noticed your mod on this few months ago but couldnt find the link to the process..
Thanks alot DC! Btw what spray paint did you use? Why dont you also spray the uppercase?

I used enamel spray paint, I figured it would be more scratch resistant, but didn’t spray the bezel and caseback because they were white already and I thought they would be likely to scratch off with daily wear. I think if you wanted to spray the whole watc you’d need to make sure you were using some very hard wearing paint, but you’d need to give it a key by sanding the bezel first, which you can’t do coz it’s ceramic (trust me I tried)!

DC

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
If you need a paint that can be tough enough, you may check DIY electrostatic paint.
You have to make some test to achieve your preferable thickness and cover (mask with thermal resistance tape)
all the surfaces that apply to each other.
This kind of paint can be corrected or having your preferable surface treatment after is cured.

It will produce thicker layer instead of enamel but will be way more durable. For example; 0.025mm enamel and 0.1mm eletrostatic.

If you like to work with enamel, choose the best quality among graffiti sprays.
They have more durable characteristics if you prepare (very good cleaning) the surface.

rwileo

Known Member
7/9/16
I used enamel spray paint, I figured it would be more scratch resistant, but didn’t spray the bezel and caseback because they were white already and I thought they would be likely to scratch off with daily wear. I think if you wanted to spray the whole watc you’d need to make sure you were using some very hard wearing paint, but you’d need to give it a key by sanding the bezel first, which you can’t do coz it’s ceramic (trust me I tried)!

DC

Well my rm038 case is SS tho so it can be sanded :p
I will try it on my spare time..
thanks a lot for the input!

rwileo

Known Member
7/9/16
If you need a paint that can be tough enough, you may check DIY electrostatic paint.
You have to make some test to achieve your preferable thickness and cover (mask with thermal resistance tape)
all the surfaces that apply to each other.
This kind of paint can be corrected or having your preferable surface treatment after is cured.

It will produce thicker layer instead of enamel but will be way more durable. For example; 0.025mm enamel and 0.1mm eletrostatic.

If you like to work with enamel, choose the best quality among graffiti sprays.
They have more durable characteristics if you prepare (very good cleaning) the surface.
Wow I never knew this kinda stuff, thanks a lot man I will look into it now! :D

Svermillion

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/1/15
Beautiful! Never even thought of painting one of my watches! Looks great!