• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Seiko Monster/Citizen Diver

d-unit

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/9/10
So I see a lot of threads paying homage to the famous Seiko Monster (and rightly so - awesome watch for an inexpensive gen) but no threads showing respect for the Citizen Diver/aqualand. This was the first nice watch I ever purchased for myseld 14 years ago and it is still going strong. I wanna say I got the thing for like $450 and that was on sale... I know the newer version goes for about half that now (I may be wrong - it was a long time ago but I swear this thing was over $500 retail). It is still in weekly rotation and I still get compliments on it on the regular believe it or not (more so than my replicas actually). I am shopping for a monster right now and my question is what are your thoughts on who has the better watch (in general) seiko or citizen?

Check the old boy out - still looks good with some decent loom too...

scaled.php

1000985z.jpg

Also, whats the deal with all the really unique looking monsters on ebay being 'japanese' models or asian models and being sold from singapore or somewhere else in asia? Is there just more variety in those markets or are these fakes?

Thanks!

bama1965

Renowned Member
26/7/11
North America
Very nice D. It's hard to beat a Seiko / Citizen. Yours looks awesome. I have a Black Monster that will never leave my collection (bought from a fellow RWI member).

A lot of the custom / unique monsters are gens that have been modded for a unique look. Yobokies is famous for this. I have heard of rep mosnters but never actually seen one.

Nice Citizen!

Ken

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
Citizen divers are awesome, but I prefer the Seiko look (less busy) and lume.
Yes - due to the popularity of the Monsters there are fakes. Just like here, the seller is often more important than the watch. Pay attention to feedback and time selling.
Also, again due to popularity, the deals on eBay are often not much cheaper than an on-line AD like Ashford Watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d-unit

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/9/10
you see this guy from California on Ebay selling modded seiko's - I think I may purchase one and see what his work is like. I watched a real nice black and red one with a custom blank face (no seiko logo or any numbers or writing os any kind on it)go for under $100 earlier.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOT-Super-Mod-SEIKO-7002-diver-BLACK-dial-Red-Plongeur-hands-chapter-ring-SS-/120869576242?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D5%26pmod%3D120865942550%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6708261968527281539

"
SUMMARY:

THE DIAL- Exclusive customized homage (with a few distinctive variations) to the great Tuna diver of yesteryear. This one's the basic black color, always a classic, always in demand. Stealth background void of frilly marks to present a clean smooth dial. Factory made from the same dial company that does dials for Tissot, Burbury, etc. Quality marques, so you're assured of a quality dial. Hour marker are lumed with Super LumiNova®. The superior non-radioactive alternative to the radioactive Tritium®.

THE HANDS- Tri-color ensemble! Great looking against the black dial!
Hour and minute: Inspired by the legendary Plongeur design. Custom interpretation, it's 1mm longer to eliminate any "stubby" appearance. Orange minute hand, and white hour hand.
Sweep second: Racing red Ploprof inspired design.

THE LUME- Hands incorporate the use of Super LumiNova®. The non-radioactive alternative to the inferior radioactive Tritium® material.

THE CHAPTER RING (minute track)- Basic black..

THE BEZEL- Stainless steel with black insert. Goes well, looks sharp.

THE BAND- Standard 'wave' vented Z-22 band. The preferred style as sweat seems to ventilate better than other models.

THE CASE- Original stainless steel Seiko 7002 case. It's reputation speaks for itself.

THE MOVEMENT- Seiko 7002 17 jewel workhorse. When maintained properly will outlive you, but will still keep going for future generations to enjoy. "

scaled.php

aa22q.jpg

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
:thinking: Those dials look very much like the ones I buy for $2.98 with the Seiko markings rubbed off. If so it's the worst lume in history. Lume is the right colour for them too, far too green. I'd want to see a shot of his crash hot lume.