• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tudor Black Bay 58 GEN v REP #NEVER MEET YOUR HERO'S

English Gent

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
10/7/14
I've been a collector of Tudor for many years, Owned most of the Black Bay series as rep and gen, I was very excited about the new BB58 series, loved the size and colours, but as you know the prices were insane for the first few months and still are.

Today I managed to get hold of a brand new Gen (won't say which is which, make this interesting) and have to say Im super underwhelmed, in fact, the Rep only has one issue by view, which I won't say what it is, but the weight, feel and look is identical, apart from the colours. the bracelet feels as good, obvious the Gen has better feeling movement, but strangely a more recessed crown that is harder to unwind, even the brushing looks better on the rep to my old eyes

Normally I would argue the Gen is worth it knowing you have the real deal on your wrist, but is it worth 15 times more in this case, NO, and since its not a poser watch and a bit of fun, (San Martin on Aliexpress do as good homages to the BB58) I don't mind wearing the rep.

So, guess which is which.

PS I couldn't do more detailed pics, I had to keep wrapping on, so I can resell... for a profit... you can do that on Gen Watch sites.. (just joking, sort of)

P..DR..D

- Pátrún Bródúil -
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
Amazing when you zoom in on the 6 marker for both (if one indeed is rep and one is Gen) that they're both actually off, one is marginally to the left one to the right.

People would probably RL a rep in QC for this;)

Would people scrutinise a GEN as much I wonder :p

I have no idea which is which btw, thats well above my expertise, so I'll defer to far wiser members, they both look gorgeous, just thought it was a funny observation :eek:hwell:

Have a great weekend and well wear Sir

Last edited:

English Gent

Banned
10/7/14
Amazing when you zoom in on the 6 marker for both (if one indeed is rep and one is Gen) that they're both actually off, one is marginally to the left one to the right.

People would probably RL a rep in QC for this;)

Would people scrutinise a GEN as much I wonder :p

I have no idea which is which btw, thats well above my expertise, so I'll defer to far wiser members, they both look gorgeous, just thought it was a funny observation :eek:hwell:

Have a great weekend and well wear Sir

The Blue is Gen, and the main giveaway is the fact the rep version has the same old first-gen issues like the lume doesn't match the indices, this is perfect

the main issue with the black is the marker on the bezel ar 3 points down, not straight to the crown.

as for the 6 markers, I think that comes from me taking the picture in the middle, so you're seeing both from a slight angle

English Gent

Banned
10/7/14
Blue is the rep because long crown tube?

the rep has a longer crown tube and is easier to use... madness...

very underwhelmed but also pissed off the rep companies haven't done a good blue version yet with matching lume on hands and indices. would have saved me a few quid,

then again, I prefer the black vintage look when I have them in hand.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Thanks for sharing.

The Lume on the blue (gen) is a lot whiter than rep....it’s usually rep lume that is ghost white

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

English Gent

Banned
10/7/14
As I mentioned before, the only thing wrong with the black version is the slight misaligned marker at the 3 on the bezel, doesn't point straight to the crown

But you have to be looking head on to notice...

Reactions: P..DR..D

Ecender

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
26/10/18
Miami, Fl
Had the black and came with the same issue. Other than that is a great rep.

Muyr82

Known Member
15/11/18
Pompei (Na)
I am wearing a bb58 gen (black) right now and i can't see the differences, lol maybe the colors on the black are not the same but maybe it's just an impression. anyway wich version is this

Last edited:

Excaleben

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/5/21
As I mentioned before, the only thing wrong with the black version is the slight misaligned marker at the 3 on the bezel, doesn't point straight to the crown

Wow I just looked that up on my bb58 and I can never unseen this. I am quite happy that I could not spot which one of these was the fake at first glance.

Wacht

Renowned Member
6/7/20
When comparing the black bay 41 rep, the nuts on the rivets were slightly different than the gen. It does look like they are just a bit larger and perhaps ever so slightly rougher?

MarkMarky

Renowned Member
30/6/13
USA
Tudor is one of the brands where gens are not worth. I have 1 gen and 5 reps and I have never met who knows the brand and with reps as close as gens 95%, wasting money on gens is foolish. Instead of 1 gen you can get all popular Tudor reps.

Last edited:

Siesta Shrink

Known Member
Patron
Certified
12/6/21

I got the black face BB58 a couple months ago, and I noticed the prices are beginning to fall quite a bit. <sigh> Maybe I'll try the blue in rep.

As far as the differences go:

When I was a kid I worked in a men's clothing store. There was an old salesman who, when folks would pick out small flaws in the fit, would tell them, "If you can't see it on a galloping horse, it doesn't matter."

SudoHtop

Horology Curious
26/5/21
Either the crystal is the wrong shape or the rep dial is the wrong size, but it looks harder to make out of the "Swiss Made" and edge of the indices on the rep (black). I have the blue in rep and this is probably what has bothered me the most. I love how you can take a straight on glance at the gen and clearly see the entire outer border of the minute indices track and make of the Swiss Made at the bottom of the dial. You can see the difference pretty well here.